Request a Tutorial here

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Request a Tutorial here

Postby Candle » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Maybe someone can help you if you ask nice. :D Image
Last edited by Candle on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Tutorial request

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi i am new to this and i was wondering if you would be so kind as to make me a tutorial with most of the basics and a few other things that you think will help me create a good first game.

Thanx
Luke

Postby Candle » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:03 pm

If you want just the basic you can look at the games that come with AM.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Candle » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:28 am

GM or someone .
Please do a tut with how to show the score on a frame.
(project)
Thanks.

Done by me.
Last edited by Candle on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby asterothjames » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:58 pm

hey im pretty new to am myself but was wondering if ther were any tuts specifily for psp are there ne limitations that can not be done on the psp that can be on a normal comp thanks
psp as foobah
asterothjames

Postby GM-Support » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi,

Yes, there are several limitations in the PSP version compared to the Windows version: the main differences are that in the PSP version for the moment you don't have sound, you don't have AVI's, you don't have VBScript, and you don't have plugins.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Re: Request a Tutorial here

Postby bane48 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:17 pm

Can anyone please tell me how to make a psp interactive magazine
bane48

I could of used a differen't program, but . . .

Postby hegel5000 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Does anyone know how to make counters through VBScript that last through one frame? My intention would be to make some kind of combat in the game I'm working on, so you would click buttons at the bottom to cast some kind of spell that would move up some kind of VBScript counter which would turn on some other integer variable to make hotspots at the top (which would be a healthbar) start disappearing, and thus making the health go down?

` It would be great if someone told me, or made some kind of "how to make a simple battle through scripting" tutorial.

` Thanks!
hegel5000

Postby FrozenWave » Mon May 29, 2006 10:21 am

can you make a tutorial about variables?
i've read about variables in FAQ/Help。。。。
but still don't know how to use it......
FrozenWave

Postby Mystery » Mon May 29, 2006 10:53 am

I don't think that a tutorial about variables in general can be made. Variables can be used in different ways (as you might have seen in the examples in the help files). Variables are used for kind of "conditional events", e.g. that something happens only if something else has been done before. So the way of using variables depends on what exactly you would like to make. A tutorial could only cover one special case of using variables while there are many different ways to use them. At least I see it this way.

Maybe it could help you to follow the examples here and trying to realise your own first examples in Adventure Maker:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/puzz ... t_entering
As soon as your examples work, you will also understand how variables work and can make your own examples that are more complex.

If you have difficulties with making these 2 examples and would like to have them to see how they look like, I could make them for you. Please post in that case. :)
Mystery

Postby FrozenWave » Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Mystery wrote:I don't think that a tutorial about variables in general can be made. Variables can be used in different ways (as you might have seen in the examples in the help files). Variables are used for kind of "conditional events", e.g. that something happens only if something else has been done before. So the way of using variables depends on what exactly you would like to make. A tutorial could only cover one special case of using variables while there are many different ways to use them. At least I see it this way.

Maybe it could help you to follow the examples here and trying to realise your own first examples in Adventure Maker:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/puzz ... t_entering
As soon as your examples work, you will also understand how variables work and can make your own examples that are more complex.

If you have difficulties with making these 2 examples and would like to have them to see how they look like, I could make them for you. Please post in that case. :)

thank you.....i just tried and i understand already
thanks^_^
FrozenWave

Postby Mystery » Mon May 29, 2006 6:43 pm

Oh great! I thought you would understand it because this is also the way I learned it. :)
It is not that difficult and it is better to try out the examples because just reading them confuses in the beginning.
Mystery

Postby lmtlmt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 pm

how do u make panorama pictures
lmtlmt

Postby Mystery » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:56 pm

You need a full version of AM for that. You can read further instructions in the help files:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/360_ ... norama.htm
Mystery

Postby lmtlmt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:32 am

ok thanks. stuff that i aint payin for that
lmtlmt

Tutorial Request

Postby Mattman100 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Can someone post a tutorial on this:

When I make my own start menu (You know, bypassing the initial frame and adding load and save game buttons.) and I run my project, it is showed in a small frame instead of Full Screen. When I take away the custom start menu, and run the project, it is in full screen.

Can anyone show me how to make a custom start menu without having it ran in a frame instead of Full Screen. I want my game in Full Screen, including the start menu.
Mattman100

Postby Candle » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:24 pm

CREATING A CUSTOM STARTUP MENU (FULL EDITION ONLY)

Advanced tutorial to help you create a custom Startup menu to completely replace the default "Initial Screen".

This tutorial will guide you through the creation of a custom full-screen startup screen, to completely replace the default "Initial Screen" that contains the "Start", "Load" and "Exit" buttons.

Note: If you only want to customize the Initial Screen (without completely redesigning it), instead of following this tutorial, simply go to the "Initial Screen" tab of the "Project Properties" window and change the appropriate options.

First Steps

1. Create a new frame called for example "MAIN_MENU".
2. Go to the Project Properties and change the "Initial Frame" to "MAIN_MENU" (at the bottom of the "General" tab).
3. Go to the "Options" tab of the Project Properties and make sure that the option named "Run in a window" is disabled.
4. Go to the "Advanced" tab of the Project Properties and check the option named "Bypass the initial screen".
5. Open the frame named "MAIN_MENU" and customize its appearance to give it the look of a splash screen (for example, add the title of the game, and the credits).

I. Adding a "Start New Game" button

1. Add a text object labeled "Start New Game" by right-clicking on the frame background.
2. Create a new hotspot overlaid on the text that you have just created. Link the hotspot to the first frame of your game.

II. Adding a "Load Game" button

1. Add a text object labeled "Load Game" by right-clicking on the frame background.
2. Create a new hotspot overlaid on the text that you have just created. Go to the "Advanced" tab of the Hotspot Properties, and enter the following code into the VBScript text field:

Action.PopupLoadGame

III. Adding an "Exit" button

1. Add a text object labeled "Exit" by right-clicking on the frame background.
2. Create a new hotspot overlaid on the text that you have just created. Go to the "Action" tab of the Hotspot Properties, and check the option named "Close the program".

IV. Adding a "Visit Website" button

1. Add a text object labeled "Click here to visit the game website" by right-clicking on the frame background.
2. Create a new hotspot overlaid on the text that you have just created. Go to the "Advanced" tab of the Hotspot Properties, and enter the following code into the VBScript text field:

Action.OpenURL "ENTER_URL_HERE"

(you must of course replace ENTER_URL_HERE with the URL of your website)

V. Adding a "Contact Author" button

1. Add a text object labeled "Click here to send email to the author" by right-clicking on the frame background.

Action.SendEmail "ENTER_EMAIL_ADDRESS_HERE"

(you must of course replace ENTER_EMAIL_ADDRESS_HERE with your email address)

OPTIONAL (FOR ADVANCED USERS):
How to create a "Change display resolution to 640x480" check-box

First you need to create two small pictures, named for example "PIC_CHECKED" and "PIC_UNCHECKED". The first picture must represent a check-box that is CHECKED, and the second picture must represent a check-box that is UNCHECKED. You can create these two pictures with a drawing program (for example with MS Paint), or with an icon editor (for example the one that is included in the Adventure Maker package).

1. Create a new integer variable named for example "VAR1" (to do so, click "Project Variables" from the menu on the left, then click "New Integer Variable", then enter "VAR1", and then click OK to save the changes).

Note: What we want to do is to change the display resolution if VAR1=0 (which is the default value), and NOT to change it if VAR1=1.

2. Add a text object labeled "Change display resolution to 640x480" by right-clicking on the frame background.
3. Create two new hotspots. Place the two hotspots next to the text that you have just created (at step 1), and place the two hotspots one on top of the other (they must be "stacked"). The first one must have the appearance of the CHECKED check-box (use the picture "PIC_CHECKED") and the second one must have the appearance of the UNCHECKED check-box (use the picture "PIC_UNCHECKED").
4. Use the options that are under the "Variables" tab of the Hotspot Properties" window to make the first hotspot be visible only if VAR1=0, and the second one be visible only if VAR1=1.
5. Create a large transparent hotspot overlaid on both the two small hotspots that you have just created (at step 3) and the text that you have created at Step1.
6. Go to the "Advanced" tab of the Hotspot Properties of that large hotspot and add the following code the VBScript text field:

VAR1 = 1 - VAR1
If VAR1=0 Then Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame 1
If VAR1=1 Then Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame 0

Note: the first line will invert the value of VAR1 when the hotspot is clicked, whereas the second and third lines are there to make sure that the screen resolution will (or will not) be changed when the player loads a saved game.

7. Go to the Hotspot Properties of the "Start New Game" button, and add the following code to the VBScript text field that is under the "Advanced" tab:

If VAR1=0 Then Action.ChangeDisplayResolution 1

Note: If you want to change the display resolution to 800x600 instead of 640x480, replace "1" with "2" at the very end of the code above.

That's all! If everything works fine, you should be able to check/uncheck the "Change display resolution" option by clicking on either the label "Change display resolution to 640x480", or on the check-box picture itself. The behavior should be exactly the same as that of the Windows standard check-boxes.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/startup_menu.htm
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

i want a tutorial

Postby ahashwi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:47 pm

Can someone get me a tutorial :?:
I want a third person game but not the one that they already give us.
Please :idea:
ahashwi

Re: Tutorial request

Postby ahashwi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Luke wrote:Hi i am new to this and i was wondering if you would be so kind as to make me a tutorial with most of the basics and a few other things that you think will help me create a good first game.

Thanx

1. Run Adventure Maker, and click "New Project...".
2. Enter "Lamp" (without the quotes) under "Project name", and then click OK.
3. A message will pop up asking you to choose the "target platform". Choose if you want your game to be compatible with Windows or with the Portable Gaming System, and then click OK.
4. A message will pop up. Click Continue to proceed.
5. Click "Create New Frames...".
6. A file selection window will pop up. Select the two following files: Lamp_OFF.jpg and Lamp_ON.jpg.
Note: to select two files, you can hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on the files.
7. Once you have selected the two files, click "Open" to continue.
Two thumbnails (i.e. small pictures) should appear in the window on the right.
8. Double-click the thumbnail named "Lamp_OFF".
The picture of the lamp should appear.
9. Create a selection over the switch that is at the bottom-left corner of the picture. The selection should have the size of the switch.
Note: to create a selection, just draw a rectangle as if you were using a drawing utility. This will create a new hotspot.
The "Hotspot Properties" window should appear.
10. In order to select the appearance of the mouse pointer when the player moves it over the switch, click the button "Click here to change..." that is under the label "Cursor when over the hotspot".
11. A cursor selection window will pop up. Double-click the icon named "Action.ico".
You should be brought back to the "Hotspot Properties" window.
12. Now select the option "Go to another frame" that is under the "Hyperlink" section.
The frame selection window should appear. Otherwise (if it does not automatically appear) click the button "Click to choose a frame...".
13. Click the thumbnail named "Lamp_ON".
14. Now click OK to close the "Hotspot Properties" window.
15. Click the link "Go back to project menu" that is at the top-left corner of the screen.
16. Double-click the thumbnail named "Lamp_ON", and do the same as you did with the lamp OFF (repeat exactly the steps 9, 10, 11 and 12).
17. When the frame selection window appears, click the thumbnail named "Lamp_OFF".
18. Click OK to close the "Hotspot Properties" window.
19. Click the link "Go back to project menu" that is at the top-left corner of the screen.
20. In order to choose which picture must appear when the game starts, click "Project Properties...", and then select "Lamp_OFF" under the "Initial Frame" section. Then click OK to close the "Project Properties" window.
21. Click "Run Project (Start)...", and then click "Start" to play the game! You can turn on and off the lamp by clicking on the switch. You can also experiment with the "Save Game" and "Load Game" options that appear when you press the "Esc" key. To quit the game, you can either press Ctrl+Q, or you can press the "Esc" key and then click "Exit".
Congratulations, you have completed the tutorial!
ahashwi

game

Postby ahashwi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 am

can someone make me a full, complex game
ahashwi

Tutorial request!

Postby maxpengoo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:17 pm

Hey, im a new user and I was wondering if you could make a tutorial on making basic puzzles like the three switches in the first person exsample or where you have to find a certain item, lets say a book and put it in a empty spot in a bookshelve. thanks, and this is my first post but expect to see me in the forum even more! :D
maxpengoo

Postby Mystery » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:26 pm

First of all welcome to the forums :)

Do you use a free version or a full version of AM? With the free version your possibilities to create puzzles is rather limited whereas with a full version there are lots of complex puzzles that you can create.

For the free version I can't think of many more puzzles than those that are mentioned in the helpfiles (just some variations of them):
- Prevent player from entering a door/room without having a specific item.
- Player has to find a key first that he/she has to use to open a door.
- The 3 switches
- Player has to drag the correct item on a hotspot (and this will activate another hotspot, e.g. a new item appears, a door appears etc.).

Most puzzles involve a bit of scripting that is only enabled in the full version, e.g.
- Player has to enter a specific code to unlock a door
- Player has to push the correct buttons in the correct order (e.g. to get an item or to go to the next screen)
- Solve a slider puzzle or win a game (scripts by ShadowHunter)
- Player has to collect enough money to buy an important item
- etc.....
Mystery

Postby maxpengoo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 pm

Mystery wrote:First of all welcome to the forums :)

Do you use a free version or a full version of AM? With the free version your possibilities to create puzzles is rather limited whereas with a full version there are lots of complex puzzles that you can create.

For the free version I can't think of many more puzzles than those that are mentioned in the helpfiles (just some variations of them):
- Prevent player from entering a door/room without having a specific item.
- Player has to find a key first that he/she has to use to open a door.
- The 3 switches
- Player has to drag the correct item on a hotspot (and this will activate another hotspot, e.g. a new item appears, a door appears etc.).

Most puzzles involve a bit of scripting that is only enabled in the full version, e.g.
- Player has to enter a specific code to unlock a door
- Player has to push the correct buttons in the correct order (e.g. to get an item or to go to the next screen)
- Solve a slider puzzle or win a game (scripts by ShadowHunter)
- Player has to collect enough money to buy an important item
- etc.....

im on the free one, so could you help me with those tutorials, and thanks for the warm welcome. ^_^
maxpengoo

Postby Mystery » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:50 am

You find already the following general tutorials:

1. How to create my first game?
2. How to create an island to explore?
3. How to create a lamp that can be turned on and off?
4. How to create a key that can be picked up?

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/getting_started.htm

These are not really puzzles but the basics that you need to know before you can start making a puzzle.

There are following tutorials for puzzles:

1. How can I prevent the player from entering a room without having a certain object (such as a torch)?
2. How can I make my game so that if you turn 3 switches in the right order it will open a door?

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/puzzles.htm

I have written similar tutorials that are a bit more detailed than in the help files:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=2117

Now I'm not sure what exactly you need. If there is anything in the tutorials that is not clear, please ask a specific question where you get stuck. I would suggest you to try to make those puzzles and see if you get them work. This is how I started. As soon as you know how to make these puzzles, you can start to make your own game and add such puzzles there.

Or do you mean not tutorials but small demos that you can download and add to your projects in Adventure Maker to take a look at them how the settings are made? If so, then please post which demo would be helpful to you.
Mystery

FPS tut

Postby WhiteBoy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 pm

how could I go about the start of making a first person shooter ?
I'm good at making graphics & know some vb code.

P.S. I'm Savageotar's little bro.
WhiteBoy

Postby Candle » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:09 pm

I think your going to find it hard to do it with AM.
I think Game Maker would be more to what you need.
And if you don't mind spending some money FPSC will do a FPS .
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Taretia » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:20 pm

I have lots of questions, so I just write them down in one post...

Is it possible to make a program that controlls some hardware??? maybe a "robot"? .... :lol:

How can I include an outer softwer in mine for example a text-to-speek program, or a voice regognizer...?

How to make a connect between my program and a webcamera, so I can see what the camera shows?

Is it possible to use bluetooth for data transfer?

Can I connect to the net and then see if I have some mails? The program just have to tell me if I have a mail or not.

How can I make a program, that if it doesn't get input for like 5-10 mins, it'll show an other frame (it's like a screen saver...)

Can I make a slider that controlls voice? So I can make it louder?

I think that's it... :lol: Maybe someone could help me with some of these? ... :roll:
Taretia
Taretia

Postby ShadowHunter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi,

These are the most strange questions I have ever seen on this forum :wink:

Could write a program than can do all this... yes, you can, can you do it with AM ? No you can't.

You need a real development enviroment like .NET (VB/C#/C++)

Good luck,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby Taretia » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:44 pm

:lol: Yes, I thought someone will say these are strange questions... :lol:
So I need something? C++ will do it? Do you know a good online source where I can learn it...? :roll:
Taretia
Taretia

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi,

Yes C++ is the most powerful language to do it... but it's not the most easiest lanuage to learn... you will need some time to learn the basics first before proceding to what you need.

There are tons of manuals, scripts, tutorials and books... just Google for it... only advice: take it step by step.

PS: The .NET Development is not a cheap package

I will consider this topic as closed but please feel free to ask more questions in the General Chat.

Good luck,

Kind regards
ShadowHunter

Next

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials