Custom Save/Load System (lots of scripting)

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby reneuend » Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Colin,

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking. Can someone help with this or at least clarify what is being asked?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu May 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Adpist wrote:Hi there !

First of all, thanks for this thread =)

I manage to create custom save and load functions using parts of your scripts, And i have found an issue, and i really don't know how to fix it.

I save all items in inventory when user click save button.
When i load them, i can add items to player's inventory, everything is fine with this part. The problem is that if i save the game, take a new item in inventory, and load previous save ( before taking item ), I can't take the item anymore ( which is somekind of normal, i guess ).

So there is my question : Is it possible to have acces to the list of items present not only in inventory, but in all the differents frames ( or their hotspots ) to enable / disable item picking according to the saved game state

i see a way to do it but i need access to all game's items, or to be able to check if hotspot gives an item and disable it if item is in inventory.

I want to add that as if you have a welcome documentation, there are some parts missing in the AM's doc ( like how to access to hotspot position ? hide TextBoxObject borders ? etc... )

I post this here because my save/load functions are really similar to the ones mentionned in this thread.

Thans for your answers.

Colin

Hi!

I don't think that you can get a list of all items in the game.
AM doesn't make a different between hotspots with an item you can pick up or other hotspots like navigation hotspots.

I think you are using the "hide and disable the hotspot permanently" function of AM when you pick up an item.

If you change this with a solution with variables, and if you are saving all the vars with your custom save/load system, your problem with loading an older game should be solved because the old vars are loaded.

Hope this helps and perhaps someone has another solution.

Greetings Juhu
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Hello and thanks for reading the thread.

Well I 'll answer the easiest ones first.
The hotspot coordinates can be taken using Hotspot(index).left and Hotspot(index).top
The border of the textboxobject can be removed using the .border property, for more info search vb6 textbox reference.

As for the inventory items, unfortunately the only way to find all hotspots giving items to the player is by searching in the generated files of the project, which I 've done with the utility I 've built for AM and it's pretty difficult
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Adpist » Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for your answers.

i was sure that there must be properties for accessing hotspot's coordinates, but i really wasn't able to find them. I am not quite familiar with VBS and i was somekind of lost searching for informations in AM's doc and VBS reference. For the save / Load, i'll try to find a trick. Maybe using a file containing and linking items with frames and hotspots. But it is not a good solution. I really can't believe that it is impossible to know if a hotspots gives an item or not, and modify that by scripting.

But where exactly is the link between items, hotspots and frames in a project ? in .fme files ?

By the way, is all VBS included in am's scripting tool ? or only parts ? And is it possible to script with more than one procedure file ? it's really horrible to work with more than one person on the same binary file using Subversion. Every change makes a conflict.

Thanks again =)

Colin
Adpist

Previous

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials