EPIC Tutorial :D- How to put your game in browser

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

EPIC Tutorial :D- How to put your game in browser

Postby chickens1127 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:14 pm

O.K.

Welcome to the EPIC Tutorial. Don't spell it other anyway. :D Anyways, let's get started. Today I am going to teach you an incovienent but intresting way to get your game (or any game) into a browser on your website.

Step 1- We're going to need to download this FREE program:
http://www.promotionsoft.com/web-game-b ... index.html
It say's Free Download. Install it.
Step 2- Open the program up. For Vista, it should look like this:
http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jjd.jpg
Step 3- Hit Next.
Step 4- Now, something like this will come up. (Note: Mine already has files in it since I've played around with it.)
http://img40.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jjje.jpg
Step 4- Now click Browse... and select the FOLDER WHICH IS YOUR GAME! Not the file!
Step 5- Hit Next, now fill the page out like this:
http://img32.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jjjjv.jpg
Step 6- Hit Next. In the next screen, there will be a black area in the middle saying loading..., just hit Next.
Step 7- Hit Build and wait.
Step 8- Then, to test, hit Run... Once you're satisfied, and it works... then hit Output. You will need to upload the zipped file (for me it's called client) and the loadgame file thing TO YOUR WEBSITE.
Step 9- For the HTML code, hit "Html code" in Web Game Builder and there you go and put it in your website.
(The last two steps I'm not too sure about- you may have to work a little bit to get it to work depending on your host)

Basically, this program shells your game with ActiveX.

Hope this helps and leave questions and comments.
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Mystery » Sun May 24, 2009 4:06 am

Sounds interesting.

But from the FAQ on the site it seems that you can't do that with the free trial version:

Can I publish the web games made by Web Game Builder trial version?
Sorry, you can't. But you can order a license which starts as low as $49.95.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Sun May 24, 2009 4:31 am

Wow this does sound interesting..but as Mystery pointed out..I dont' think u can use any Game--
But for an EXE --turning it into a webbased game..--THAT's awesome!
I'll try that...or i hope someone does....so i can try theirs..see if i like it..:P

The examples they have won 't show in my FF browser--

Does it for anyone else..?

It says I may need the Active X plugin installed in the FAQ's ..However I.E. is supported..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun May 24, 2009 4:54 am

My question would also be, if all features of the game are supported that way or not.

Yep, it doesn't work with FF; for IE, you need to install a plugin.
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Sun May 24, 2009 5:08 am

Ya really...what if u use a plugin..? like Keygaurd or something...That's a good question..

Hm..You're gonna have to try this out for us Mystery...:lol::D:D

Chicken's..the game u uploaded..Did u upload a game..?
What features did it have..?
Last edited by mercedes on Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Sun May 24, 2009 6:30 am

When you run an AM program, its not just the executable, there is a large set of files and folders. What does this ActiveX control do? Does it download all the files to the user's PC, then run it? Could you imagine how long that would take on a large game?

If it works for an AM game that doesn't use plugins, then I don't see why it would be a problem with one that does. All the same issues apply.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sun May 24, 2009 6:48 am

Yes it packs all the files you used to make the game..then it generates all the files automatically including the HTML code.

Another thing;
You can't use Full Screen games, they have to be run in window-mode only too.
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for letting us know!

What I would do with this program is have the demo of my game online. Bad thing is that you 're gonna need a huge bandwidth to do so
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 pm

OK. Here are my awnsers:

Well, I tried to put my MMO up, but my freehost didn't accept a 20 meg client. But, I have friends who have gotten the free version to work and upload to the website. Dunno :?:

Yea. It just wraps the game with ActiveX.

Thought this may be intresting... you could now have your demo on your website!
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby pennsteve » Mon May 25, 2009 2:15 am

OK I skimmed over this. I didnt look at the images yet. Are you saying I can make a room escape game, using variables and VBcode and be able to put it on my website, able to be played there?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Mon May 25, 2009 4:28 am

What it is, is an Active X component, that allows your games you make with AM..to be played--online

Take a look at the 'screen shots' online..on the website. It might help u better see what it does to generate files..kind of a small tutorial on how to do it..~
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 pm

I'll have to make a small room escape game and try it out. Write now I'm busy writing a horror novel. lol
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby pennsteve » Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh, I just realized that you have to pay for full version. If I was sure this would work, I would buy it. Google ads would pay for it quickly.

Edit: I just tried the trial version. It allows you to play the game in a browser window. I took a game I made months ago and made an exe. I tried this and it didnt work, then I realized that I cant put the file folder on my desktop, so I moved it to C:

I then added the folder C:escapethejail then on the next part I put the escapethejail.exe and it created the files. I clicked run and it gave me the warning about activeX (my comuputer does this, i clicked yes) and the game ran in my browser window. If I wanted to put it on my website though, I have to copy files to the site page. I have to figure out which files it means. I might buy this when I get some extra money.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby pennsteve » Fri May 29, 2009 12:04 am

It works in my browser window when I test it, but when I put it on a webpage it wont work. I wonder if its being blocked somehow? I dont want to buy this and find out it still doesnt work. Too bad they wont allow you to try it on a live webpage free just 1 or 2 times to make sure it works for you. Ugh.

I know you arent supposed to publish it, but can someone click the link to my test page and see if the game works for you? Its not working for me. I figured if it would run in my own browser window (not online) then it would work online. I just need someone to test it for me. I am not going to keep the game online after I get some feedback. Thanks :D

Edit: sorry for yet another edit. I think I forgot to put 2 files in my page. I'll try that and see if it works. If it works and I can play the game online, I am going to buy the software.

Edit again: I took the webpage down. This only plays in my browser part of the time. Sometimes it never works. (i am talking about my browser test window, not the online browser). I think this has too many bugs to be worked out. One time it works, the next two times nothing happens.

Ok, one last edit: Now it is working online. I have no idea if its just buggy or if its just taking awhile to load. Ok, it worked twice in a row now. Seems it just takes awhile to load. Could you please test it and tell me how long it takes to load for you? I don't want to buy this software if it takes a long time to load for everyone, because people wont want to play the games. (this is a crappy game I made long ago. lol) If this goes well, I want to try games with text boxes where you have to type in the answer and see if it works.

http://www.gamesfree4u.com/escapejail/test.html
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 am

Nothing happens with FireFox even after 5 minutes.
With Internet Explorer, after installing the required ActiveX (which might scare off many players anyway) I got an error message (see attached image). After that I couldn't close IE anymore, I had to struggle with Task Manager for a long while to finally close it.

Doesn't sound encouraging... :x

Mystery

Postby pennsteve » Fri May 29, 2009 1:04 am

Yeah, I got that message too one time, but the other times it worked. I don't know. Sounds like they have some bugs to work out.

I tried it three times so far using IE7 and it worked, though sometimes it took a few minutes to load. Its still working for me. You click start game and a new window pops up with the game in it. There is also a box that pops up that says Unlicensed and when you close it, it takes you to the website for the software. As I said, if this works for others I might buy it, but not if its so buggy.
Attachments
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 22815 times
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 22815 times
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri May 29, 2009 2:09 am

Ok this played in I.E...It took a few minutes..
It didn't do anything in FF..
Active X will only have to be downloaded once and the redirection to website will hopefully go away with full version of it..~
I didn't get any errors or anything..
Hopefully this can get worked out if there are still bugs for some ppl..Either way..

Nice find Chicken's :D
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am

Thanks Mercedes and Mystery for testing it. Now if someone can test it using IE8, that would be great. lol
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri May 29, 2009 3:02 am

I have tested it with IE 8.
Mystery

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 pm

got the "can't run the executable", then the browser wouldn't close (IE)

FF won't work with this program, either because of the plugin (which could be IE only) or because of the prohibition of VB through open-source like FF
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Fri May 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Question for lyberodoggy and mystery. Did you have a lot of things running when you tested this? When I test it I try not to have anything running. IE will go to the webpage, but then it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to load, but it DOES load for me using IE7.

Its too bad this doesn't work better. It would be great for us using AM exe files to allow others to play online.

Edit: Ok, I just checked my email (I emailed them last night) and I have a reply. It says currently it doesnt support firefox (doesnt the site say it does?). They also want me to send them a screenshot of the error message.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 am

Tested it again, the only thing that was running this time was my IE 8. Same result: error message, and not being able to close IE only with task manager.

Feel free to send them the screenshot, though I don't know how it helps them because it's just a very general message :P

EDIT
Btw, I did some search for the type of application hang in IE I got, and all sources mentioned that such problems are connected to add-ons.
So since this software uses (requires!) an add-on, there might be compatibility issues with IE 8 maybe?
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 am

Funny i didn't get any error messages...so weird, i'm always the one to get error messages..:? THe control come up and I downloaded it and all was good..I'm gonna try this again..

What about running Vista..? would that make a difference maybe..?

Edit*

I was able to play it again..with no problems..other than what i mentioned above..In going to my Ad-on options I made sure it was enabled first too--the ad-on name is Etiumsoft....so strange..too bad it's so buggy..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 am

Have you used IE 7 or IE 8?

Well, currently it seems that using this application would mess up the browsers of many players, so unless it gets fixed, I wouldn't use it.
Last edited by Mystery on Sat May 30, 2009 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Sat May 30, 2009 3:08 am

I'm using I.E 7..

If it's the browser issue, I would contact them Steve, if you want, and tell them to make it compatible with I.E. 8..as its the latest update download..I chose not to update to it....however many might have and will..~
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat May 30, 2009 3:35 am

Hmmm, it worked...
But, I got the error message, my IE hang, and said it had to restart/restore the window. It said that 2 or 3 times.
I decided not to quit with task manager but to see what happens, and then after many minutes the game started.

On one hand it's good that it worked, on the other hand, it doesn't work as it should. Players shouldn't get 2-3 error messages and application hangs until the game finally starts after several minutes...

I'm going to retry again to see what happens.

EDIT
It's strange, after it loaded for the first time with all those problems described above; the next times it loaded without problems. Hmmm...

I guess it needs further testing by more than 3-4 people.
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sat May 30, 2009 4:03 am

Based on what you described, it sounds like it gives you errors until it loads your PC with the necessary code. Once that is done and you try again, the files are loaded so it doesn't cause an error.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 am

I replied to their reply and attached the error message jpg. I'll wait until I hear back from them again. So it DOES work on IE8? Just takes awhile to load? As I said, it takes awhile on IE7 sometimes too. If they get the bugs worked out I'll definately buy it.

Oh, and I forgot to ask earlier. Is the creator of this software someone who posts here? lol If so, I wont have to keep emailing. lol
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat May 30, 2009 4:59 am

Well, it worked on IE 8 at last, but as I said earlier:
I got the error message, my IE hang, and said it had to restart/restore the window. It said that 2 or 3 times. Then after several minutes the game came.
The next times I had to wait less long and didn't get error messages, but this might be due to the reason that reneuend mentioned.

I don't think that the creator is member of the forums :P
Mystery

Postby pennsteve » Sat May 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Ok, I got another reply, but I dont know what they mean. Do they want us to clear our temp files before trying to play the game? Sounds like it.
Oh, I just thought of something else. Does anyone use google chrome? If so, does it work on that?

Here is the reply I got:

"The problem is because when you tested the game, ie stored the wrong info of it. To fix it, just open your IE, click tools -> internet options -> general -> then click 'clean files' button (beside the 'clean cookies')"

Edit: I just clicked on the link again. Now its not loading. lol. Sigh.
Last edited by pennsteve on Sat May 30, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Next

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials