AdventureMaker & GameMaker Collaboration Tutorial

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

AdventureMaker & GameMaker Collaboration Tutorial

Postby time-killer-games » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Soo..... how do you combine the two different game engines Adventure Maker and YoYoGameMaker to make one standalone game? If you would like to know, this is the tutorial for you.

Alright, first of all if you want to learn how to use game maker try this link to the YoYoGames online PDF:
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/downloads/ ... aker80.pdf

Also they have some pretty good tutorials and most of some of them work with the free version (Lite Edition) of GameMaker:
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/make/tutorials

Any further questions concerning the specifics of game maker can be asked here in this topic or at the GameMakerComunity (GMC) website:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/

For those of you who consieder yourself a beginner at Adventure Maker this Tutorial is not recomended to you.

So what is the key to getting AdventureMaker (AM) and GameMaler (GM) games to communticate with each other?

The answer all lies within these three AM fuctions:
Code: Select all
OpenExeFileAndWait "YourExeFileName.exe"
WriteINI "blah","blah","blah"
ReadINI "blah", "blah"

...and these two GM functions (aka GameMakerLanguage, GML):
Code: Select all
ini_write_string("section","key","str")
game_end()

If you know how to read and write ini files with AM then doing so with GM should be quite easy.

If you want to run a GM game from AM, simply OpenExeFileAndWait.

Now let's say you want the player to 'win' the GM game and unlock a new frame in your AM game.

UPDATE! You can download a demo source project here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eupaqckuy2ya42o/AM%26GM.zip

Cheers! :D
TKG
Last edited by time-killer-games on Mon May 28, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:29 am

Very interesting TKG! What a cool idea!!!! It's a definitely cool way to expand AM. How do you compile it when you are done? I wouldn't mind a tutorial on this if you don't mind! Do you have a sample game done using this methodology available yet?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I now have a WORKING sample project for this! (About time!)

This took a lot of work for me and I highly appreciate anyone who tries out the demo.

Here's the spoiler of how to solve the puzzle in the given example in my first post:

The Equation must equal 666 for the puzzle to be solved. You will get a message notifying you the puzzle is solved at the bottom of the screen (The player has to figure this out on their own by using their common sence, and observing the game's evil theme).
Symbol A) represents A single digit #, click to increase the symbol's value (starts at zero, when symbol nine is clicked the value is reset)

Symbol B) represents a multiplication symbol, use to multiply the 3 digit value on top with the single digit symbol below
click Symbol B) to switch between multiplication and addition

Click the bottom of the screen to return to the main game and exit the puzzle. The current values will be calculated.
Attachments
puzzle.png
puzzle.png (141.57 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Nicely done.
Doesn't work well with multiple screen machines. Something gets ugly with the rendering drivers, they consider the main screen to be occupied, because it is running AM and they send the GM riddle to the next available screen
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 pm

^Thanks for the bug report. I don't have a dual screen so I can't test it but it sould work with both windows on the same screen now (I updated the GM window's settings).
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 am

Very impressive Killer. I like that you tried this out because it opens up ideas of what can be done.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Wed May 30, 2012 10:09 pm

EDIT**
Never mind.....I see now it was posted in the Tutorial section..
Wish I would have seen that before I wasted time/space downloading it.....

Thought it was something you wanted someone to test..or view..I see now, that wasn't the case...my bad..:roll:
mercedes
VIP

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials