[Tutorial] Convert Spherical to Cubic Panoramic Images

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

[Tutorial] Convert Spherical to Cubic Panoramic Images

Postby time-killer-games » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:33 am

In this tutorial I will explain how quickly and easily convert spherical panoramas into cubic ones which can be used in AM via the Cubic Panorama plugin. There are multiple ways to achieve this. But for now I will just list the first method. First, create a spherical panorama rendered in whatever program you prefer. In this case I used sweet home 3d, which can be seen here: LINK

Next, download and extract this zip archive. Open "Panorama Converter.exe", when it opens, it will ask you if you want to run an external program, select "yes". Once that program opens, go to the menu bar File -> Open select your spherical image. After that, Picture -> Panorama -> Transform. A dialog comes up. Set the input format to Latitude/Longitude. Set the output format to Cubic. Click OK, then File -> Save As. Now that you are done with HDR Shop, close it. Here is what the image HDR Shop Pro generated should look like: LINK

Back to the main converter program, open your cubic image from the Open File Dialog. A portion of the image should then appear on the main window, click anywhere on the window to display a different portion of the cubic image, do this until all of the portions have been clicked on, which automatically generates 6 image files which may be combined into one image using the program that comes with the Cubic Panorama Plugin. Then it may be used in your game, just that simple. There is an even easier way to do this but I'll post it some other time it's midnight where I am and I need sleep.

Cheers!
TKG
Last edited by time-killer-games on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: [Tutorial] Convert Spherical to Cubic Panoraic Images

Postby reneuend » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Maybe its time I tried using Panoramic images. Thank you for the tutorial!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Re: [Tutorial] Convert Spherical to Cubic Panoraic Images

Postby Simon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:54 am

This is very useful !! With ASA, I had chosen at the beginning to use the spherical plugin. However, later during the development, I realized that the cubic plugin is much more efficient, but it was too late for me to change my mind. With that kind of plugin, I'm sure I would have taken the decision and ASA would have been better.
Simon
Expert Member

Re: [Tutorial] Convert Spherical to Cubic Panoramic Images

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:54 am

@Simon, the cubic plugin doesn't support gif or video animations, whereas the default piano plugin does. Don't be disappointed by the choice you made. If you used any videos or gifs in your pano frames well that wouldn't have worked if you used the cubic plugin.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Simon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 am

Yeah but I didn't use them :D Thanks, however !
Simon
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Ah crap! My bad dude... XD
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials