Music with Adventure Maker PSP games - IT WORKS WITHOUT CFW!

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for the PSP.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Music with Adventure Maker PSP games - IT WORKS WITHOUT CFW!

Postby Hguols » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I just stumbled upon a great discovery! For clarification, follow the find I found below to play music with your adventuremaker game WITHOUT USING CUSTOM PSP FIRMWARE!!!!

"The Field of Kings", the game I'm working on now, was originally supposed to be the 3rd game I created using the Sword of Moonlight software. I made a few songs for an original soundtrack, and now it looks like I'll get to use this original soundtrack with The Field of Kings adventure maker game!

The way the PSP works, you cannot utilize the system's music/MP3 player and the browser at the same time. It probably uses too many resources. However, the PSP browser does work with SWF files (SWF files, used for flash movies, do support sound.) Being that the PSP is capable of browsing with multiple tabs, all you'd have to do is open the music in one tab, and the game in the other.

I have tried and tested this and it works!

1] Download an MP3 to SWF converter. There's one at CNET.com by hootech for free download. The trial version only allows 60% of the MP3 to be converted, but if you have audio editing software (like I do) you can simply add 40% of the song time dead air to bypass the song cropping. :P The SWF can be set to loop as well for a constant soundtrack!

You'll want to go with the lowest audio quality because anything more will be too much for the PSP cache, and the game won't load.

2] Put the freshly made .SWF on your PSP. I put it in INSTALLED_SOFTWARE with my game

3] Open PSP internet browser. Hit triangle to bring up the browser menu.

4] Type in the browser address bar the location of the SWF on you PSP's memory stick. file://INSTALLED_SOFTWARE/thefieldofkings.swf (or load a custom made bookmark, that'll be quicker)

5] Click "yes" to allow/run Embedded software.

6] When the music begins to play, you'll still be in the browser menu. Select "file" (far left button) and then select "Next Tab"

7] Open the bookmark of your PSP Adventure Maker Game and play it. The music will still be going!

8] ???????

9] PROFIT

( ^ - ^)♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫
I'm so excited to have discovered this! The Field of Kings game will have the ability to have an original soundtrack - which is 16:08 in running time. A SWF file with that long of a song (at the lowest quality for the sake of memory) is still under 2MB....

...and still sounds pretty good mind you!

The only downfall is that its a bit on the tedious side to get everything up and running.

I'm currently looking to see how I can open multiple tabs in the PSP with one bookmark link... and also, how to edit the setup.exe to also include said music bookmark link...

Hguols

Postby Hguols » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks to a little bit of Javascript, I can open the music in one tab and the game in another in one click!

Unfortunately, this rules out using the game's setup EXE, but that's ok. Now its just a matter of determining whether I want to include a custom bookmark HTML file, or instructions to put the URL in manually...

Hguols

Postby reneuend » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 am

Nice find! I would like to include this in the next BBB magazine for posterity! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Gumbro » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Neat trick indeed! Does one just need to open up a new page with the music in a new window?
Gumbro

Postby Hguols » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:56 am

Yes, the music has to be in another tab. The game and music can't be run in the same tab, but that's ok!

The PSP supports 3 tabs in its browser so YEAH!

Hguols

Re: Music with Adventure Maker PSP games - IT WORKS WITHOUT

Postby time-killer-games » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Can't you embed the music swf into the game's tab via editing the index HTML code? I don't have a PSP so I can't test this.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Creating Software for the PSP