Using a Hotspot as a function command

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Using a Hotspot as a function command

Postby Dauntless » Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Is it possible to use a hotspot on another hotspot?

(i.e. much in the same way you'd dop an inventory item onto a hotspot to perfrom a preset command)
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 pm

To my knowledge this is not possible. The player can't move or drag hotspots actively. A "movement" of hotspots (like for example in a slider puzzle) can only be done by making a hotspot invisible and loading the same picture in a hotspot next to it.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dauntless » Wed May 03, 2006 10:52 pm

thank you for replying once again mystery.

To be honest, I thought that would be the case, but was hoping maybe something along the lines of...

When you click a hotspot it changes the function of the mouse cursor?

(like in ye olde games when you click a look command and then a hotspot in the scene)

Is that possible?
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood your question. Do you mean if on mouseclick the function "look"/"talk"/"take" can alternate?
Could you please put your question in other words to make sure that I understand it correctly?
Mystery

Postby Dauntless » Wed May 03, 2006 11:02 pm

http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... st53wa.jpg

This is a panel i will have in the bottom right of my screen. The 3 images (tome, map, character) will all link directly to a new frame.

The eyeball image will react to inventory items dropped onto it, linking to their new frame

IN the empty space (top right) I would like.... for example... a pair of binoculars.

User would click the binocular hotspot, and then another hotspot on the screen, which would link to a new frame (zoomed in image
Dauntless

Postby Mystery » Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 pm

Hmm... I don't really know how this could work in AM. But I don't know if ShadowHunters new Keyguard could be helpful to you (I don't know it well, just read about it).
Read this and see the demo:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=1681

If you feel that this would be a possible solution for you, the best thing would be to ask him about it.
Mystery

Postby Dauntless » Wed May 03, 2006 11:17 pm

ahhh...i really need to buy the full version AM heh.

Thanks for the pointers Mystery.
Dauntless

Postby ShadowHunter » Wed May 03, 2006 11:32 pm

Dauntless,

What you want can be done... just need a bit of scripting. But you need to use inventory items to drop on the eyebal.

I have made something similar years ago. Though you need to use merge frames or better yet use HotSpot Magic to create or clone all the hotspots you need because you need the same hotspots on every frame (eyeball, map,...)

Once you drop an item you can use script to link to the correct frame. By using the visited last frame function you can exit the zoomed image.

You also would like to use the item on item feature to go to another frame (binocular feature) and again use the last visited frame function to return.

There are other ways too if needed :wink:

And of course KeyGuard will make you game look more stunning... for sure when I release KeyGuard XE which will enable you to use animated cursors too.

Yes, you really want to purchase the Professional version... money well spend 8)

Well, good luck !

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby CBSection31 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:34 pm

^
Gah, I just typed a long reply but Shadowhunter beat me to it! lol Anyway, there you go. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Imari » Wed May 03, 2006 11:35 pm

I like your panel, Dauntless, but since the binoculars will work differently than your other three items, why not put the binoculars in inventory and have the user drag them onto your hotspots OR simply have the cursor change to binoculars when over a hotspot that can be viewed at "magnification"?
Imari
VIP

Postby ShadowHunter » Wed May 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Indeed Imari... that is the way to go !

In the new screen you can combine items to... even use a Flash movie to make the object rotated 3D...

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby Dauntless » Thu May 04, 2006 12:01 am

Binoculars as a cursor. Very nice :)

thank you all for the replies, lots of good ideas there which will help me in the future
Dauntless

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion