i need help (im a noob)

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

i need help (im a noob)

Postby halolord11 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:27 pm

ok im making a game, and i just started, ive read the tutorial on how to make the thing so the door wont open unless u have the torch or in my case the key, but i dont get it could someone help me?

i know how to make it so the key can go into ur inventory, but thats it could somebody help me with the rest?
halolord11

Postby Mystery » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:36 pm

I'm not sure where you get stuck with the help file. But I'll try to describe it in detail (I hope that I don't forget any step), maybe it helps. I remember that I also had some difficulties to understand how variables worked when I was new to AM. But this is only a short phase of confusion :)

For the case of a key there are even 2 possibilities. Either the player has to drag the key from the inventory onto the door (Instruction A), or the player clicks the door and can only get access to the next room, if he/she has the key in the inventory list (Instruction B).

A) Instruction for the case that the player has to drag the key onto the door to open it:

1. Create a bigger hotspot on door knob:
Make a hotspot around the door knob.
If you wish, you can also go to "audio" tab of the hotspot properties and add a sound of door rattling.
Or you can go to the "action" tab of the hotspot properties and check "display a text message" and add e.g. "The door is locked."

2. Pick up key:
This is what you already managed to do.

3. Let player use the key on the door:
Doubleclick the screen where the door is. Click on "Manage inventory items" (next to the key symbol). The Inventory Item List will pop up. Drag the key with your mouse onto the hotspot on the door knob. The hotspot properties pop up.
Go to the General tab and check "Go to another frame" and choose the frame with the open door, or the frame with the next room respectively. If you want the player to prevent to use the key again, go to the Action tab and check "Remove the dragged item from the inventory".

B) General instruction for all kinds of objects:

1. Create a hotspot for the case the key is not yet in the inventory:
Make a hotspot around the door knob. Rightclick on this hotspot to get access to the hotspot properties.
Go to "Variables". Check in the bottom half "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled (or visible) only if..."
And click on "add" at "the value of the following variables is 0". Then select "new integer variable", type in the name of the variable (e.g. key) and click ok.
If you wish, you can also go to "audio" tab of the hotspot properties and add a sound of door rattling.
Or you can go to the "action" tab of the hotspot properties and check "display a text message" and add e.g. "The door is locked."

2. Create a hotspot for the case the key is already in the inventory:
Make a hotspot around the door knob on top of the other one. Rightclick on this hotspot to get access to the hotspot properties.
Go to "Variables". Check in the bottom half "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled (or visible) only if...
And click on "add" at "the value of the following variables is 1". Select the variable (in this case "key") and click ok.
Then go to the General tab and select "Go to another frame" and choose the next frame (e.g. frame with open door or the next room).

3. Change variable to value 1 when object is picked up:
Now you must look into the hotspot properties of the key. You probably have already set it in the "item" tab to "When the hotspot is clicked, add an item to the inventory". And you probably chose the key.
Now go here also to the "Variables" and check the upper part "Change the value of one or more variables....". Then click on "add" at the "variables the value of which must become 1". Select your variable that you created (in this case "key") and check okay.
To prevent the player of picking up the key again, check in the Action tab "Hide and disable this hotspot" at the top.

If you still need help, I can make a small demo for door and key and upload it here, so that you can see the hotspot properties. Post if you need more help and tell me which case you need (drag the key or just click on the door). :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby halolord11 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:52 pm

i tried doing the first one but weni went to go test it it didnt work, i draged and tried to dropt he key, but nothing happened
halolord11

Postby Mystery » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:54 pm

Hmmm, did you go to General tab and checked "go to another frame"?
Mystery

Postby halolord11 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 am

ya but let me recheck to make sure
halolord11

Postby halolord11 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 am

ya i did and nothing happend
halolord11

Postby Mystery » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:06 am

If the file size is small, could you upload it here so that I can check it? It is pretty hard to judge from the disctance what you missed.
Mystery

Postby halolord11 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 am

ok ill try its a huge file but lots of it is missing, meaning i need to get the doors linked
halolord11

Postby Mystery » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 am

Well, could you maybe just upload one example, I don't want to download a huge file :wink:
Last edited by Mystery on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mystery

Postby halolord11 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:24 am

halolord11

Postby Mystery » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 am

Well, for me it worked, I downloaded the "test" file (if the next screen is supposed to be light blue).
Mystery

Postby halolord11 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:28 am

ya =\ hmm

edit: of course i was stupid it works now, i just used the wrong key
halolord11

Postby Mystery » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:33 am

Lol :D

Good luck with your game.
Mystery

Postby halolord11 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:50 am

thx i just purchased the full version so hopefully i can make 3-d stuff next ;)
halolord11

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion