Inventory Score + Timer

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Inventory Score + Timer

Postby Korrupt_Ikonz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:29 am

I am trying to figure out how I am going to make this aspect of the game:

1. You can decide to keep an item in your inventory or not.

2. Every item in the game is worth points.

3. There is a time limit for each level (made up of multiple frames) of the game.

4. When the time limit ends it goes to a frame that adds up your score for the items you kept.

5. The score is sent to a online database for people to check their scores against others.

Any help in going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Korrupt_Ikonz
Korrupt_Ikonz

Re: Inventory Score + Timer

Postby Mystery » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:08 pm

I think I'm not good enough with VBScript to solve your complex needs. At least not without getting into it myself and take some time to try things out (and get those scripts to work if I'm able to at all). Although I have already used parts of what you plan to do, I have never combined so many features in my games.

So here just some ideas:

To assign a value to items, you have to create a money/point variable. You can download a very simple demo I have made for another user to show how to increase/decrease money variable in general(picking up money increases it, buying the wine decreases it):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PD4H6R61
You don't have to call it money, but change it into points.
(I haven't used the score system that is described in the help files, so I can't tell if this would be better for your needs or not).

Decision on picking up an item or not:
Your idea of asking the player first if he/she wants to pick up the item could be solved with a message box. Clicking yes would result in picking up the item and increasing the value of the money/point variable, whereas clicking no would result just in a message confirming that the player wants to leave the item there.

To combine the message box with the money/point variable (e.g. item value 5):

Code: Select all
return_value = MsgBox ( "Do you want to pick up this item?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Pick up")
If return_value = vbYes Then
   MsgBox "You pick up this item"
   Action.AddItem "Money1"
     Money=Money+5
     i = Action.GetMergedTextIndex
     Text(i).Caption="Money: "+CStr(Money)

Else
   MsgBox "You leave this item here"
End If

But I don't know how to add the picture of the item to the inventory aswell... (the AddItem code didn't work)

The help files contain a description how to set up a time limit, you have to work with a global countdown
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... #countdown
Then in addition to the message that the time is up, you could add the Action.GoToFrame "Framename" code to get to the next level. And since you plan to make different levels, you would need to create different runtime frames merging (for each level).

Again, I can't tell you how to combine this global countdown and merging frames for different levels and with the previous features (message box + money/point variable) using VBScript without working on it myself (if I ever would figure it out).

And I have no idea how to send the end score to an online database.

Sorry that I can't help you more right now, but maybe our scripting genius ShadowHunter has some more ideas or GM drops in to add some ideas.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion