Creating a game in parts.

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Creating a game in parts.

Postby Dalton » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:57 pm

Well, here i am again with more questions (living and learning :lol: ). I?m creating a game using the Adventure Maker 4.4, but i?m using the free edition, so i?m creating the rooms like new projects. My ideia is, soon but i don?t know when, purchase the Full edition and then throw all the informations of the other projects to the first project folder. Is that possible? (please, please it have to be because i?ve already almost finished the Chapter one of my game... :shock: )
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:12 am

In general, it is possible to create games with different parts or chapters as different projects, and then join them in one bigger project later.
You need to make sure that you connect the end screen of one project part with the firt screen of the next project part.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby GM-Support » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:35 am

You can join the projects later as Mystery said, but in some cases it can be difficult if you happen to use the same frame names or file names across projects.

Just for information, are you "creating the rooms like new projects" because of the limitation of 150 frames per project, or for another reason?
GM-Support

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks for that addition GM, I didn't think of the "same name problem" :)

(I assume that Dalton is limited to 20 screens per project if he uses the evaluation possibility of the free version to use advanced features.)
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 pm

GM, Yep i?m creating the rooms like new projects" because of the limitation of 150 frames per project. And about the frames, in all the projects i?m creating diferent names to the frames. Also the folders has different names (Example: Church Day1...). But, hey, Thank God i?m not gonna need to make all again! :lol: Thanks Everybody! :P
I?m using the 360? plugin. :wink:
Oh, by the way, i?m Brazilian, so i?m sorry about my English... :lol:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Your English is fine Dalton :)

Hmmm, but if you make different projects because of the limitation to 150 screens per project, I suspect that you can't join such big projects (of 150 screens each) to a huge one...
Although I may be wrong, I never made a project with hundreds of screens...
Maybe GM can give us a clarification on the absolute limit :?:
Mystery

Postby GM-Support » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:32 pm

To clarify:
The free edition:
- limits to 150 frames per project no matter what functions are used (you can do a lot of stuff with 150 frames: the entire T'alvi game is less than 150 frames)
- allows testing the advanced features of the Full Edition (scripting, 360-degree panoramas, etc.) only on projects that have less than 20 frames.

You can create several big (or small) projects, and join them later when you have the full edition. The join is not automatic. It's not difficult if you are well organized (if you don't use the same names for the files and frames - be sure to use unique names for the frames even if the frames are in different folders -, if you are careful with the variables, etc.). Some aspects, like the list of folders and the list of variables, are a bit tricky to join, but it is still possible to join them manually by editing the files under the Config folder of the Project folder. As far as the list of folders is concerned: you don't necessarily have to join them: if you don't join them, at worse you will get all the frames in the default folder.
GM-Support

Postby Dalton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanks again everybody :wink: . Soon, i?m gonna use all the tips :P . Now, gosh, a new challenge: in my game there?s a place that will be visited 2 times. The first time is in the morning. The second time is in night. As i said, i?m creating a game by projects. So i made a copy of the folder?s place and changed the folder?s name, because i don?t want to configure again the frames, i just want to change the frames color using a picture editor. So that?s my new question: how can i do this? :shock:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:45 pm

You can use the "Manage Resources" feature. Make sure that your images will be autmatically opened (by double-clicking the image) with the software that you wish to use to make the color settings, then just save the image again. It should be updated in your project folder without loosing the configurations of your screens (hotspots and frame properties).

(But since you plan to join your projects, you'll need to rename the screens aswell in one of the projects.)

@GM
Thanks for the clarification :D
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:59 pm

I have a new question: if i create the rooms like new projects, it?s gonna have some problems on the "config" folder, because i?m gonna have to cut and paste all the information on the new "config" folder, right?
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby GM-Support » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:42 am

Dalton wrote:I have a new question: if i create the rooms like new projects, it?s gonna have some problems on the "config" folder, because i?m gonna have to cut and paste all the information on the new "config" folder, right?

Contents of the "Config" folder:
  • "Frames" : contains the list that says which frames go to which folder. Applies only when you have classified your frames into folders. Yes, you must copy/paste them if you want to preserve the folders (otherwise all the non-listed frames will go to the default folder). Note: the number that appears at the top is the count of the total number of elements in the list.
  • "General" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Info" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Procedures" : contains the "VBScript global procedures". Yes, you must copy/paste if you want to merge the VBScript global procedures of the two projects.
  • "Texts" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Variables" : contains the list of the global variables (integer and variant). Yes, you must copy/paste if you want to merge the global variables. Note: the number that appears at the top is the count of the total number of elements in the list.
  • "Version" : nothing to copy/paste here

GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby Dalton » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:56 am

But if i copy/paste in a folder, then the other file (with informations about the first game) is gonna be repalced with new informations, right?.

GM-Support wrote:
Dalton wrote:I have a new question: if i create the rooms like new projects, it?s gonna have some problems on the "config" folder, because i?m gonna have to cut and paste all the information on the new "config" folder, right?

Contents of the "Config" folder:
  • "Frames" : contains the list that says which frames go to which folder. Applies only when you have classified your frames into folders. Yes, you must copy/paste them if you want to preserve the folders (otherwise all the non-listed frames will go to the default folder). Note: the number that appears at the top is the count of the total number of elements in the list.
  • "General" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Info" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Procedures" : contains the "VBScript global procedures". Yes, you must copy/paste if you want to merge the VBScript global procedures of the two projects.
  • "Texts" : nothing to copy/paste here
  • "Variables" : contains the list of the global variables (integer and variant). Yes, you must copy/paste if you want to merge the global variables. Note: the number that appears at the top is the count of the total number of elements in the list.
  • "Version" : nothing to copy/paste here

GM-Support
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby GM-Support » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:59 am

Right.

In the case of the files inside the "Config" folder, when I wrote "Yes, you must copy/paste", I meant that you must open the files with Notepad and manually copy/paste the text from one file to the other, in order to merge them.
GM-Support

Postby Dalton » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 am

Oh, now i got it! Thanks! :D

GM-Support wrote:Right.

In the case of the files inside the "Config" folder, when I wrote "Yes, you must copy/paste", I meant that you must open the files with Notepad and manually copy/paste the text from one file to the other, in order to merge them.
Dalton
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion