pressing 4 switches in the right order(SOLVED)

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

pressing 4 switches in the right order(SOLVED)

Postby Dalton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:29 am

Hi everybody :D ! I?m trying to do what the subject says, but using variables. I?m using the AM Help Document. When i click first in the last switch, it opens... but i want to open the box in the right order. What can i do? :cry:
Last edited by Dalton on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 pm

I suspect that you have missed the following step in the tutorial:
5. Change the properties of the third hotspot so that it is enabled only if var1=1 and var2=1;
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dalton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:30 pm

I don?t know... :(
Now, if i press the switches in the right order, it opens but if i press the switches in any order and then the last switch it opens either. I?m so confuse with this Variable thing... :shock:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:05 am

I know, variables are confusing at the beginning. :wink:
But don't worry, you'll understand them soon.

Now, how many switches do you have? Did you try to make the example from the Help Files with the 3 switches, or did you add more switches?

EDIT
Ooop, sorry, just realized you have written in the title about 4 switches :oops:
I'll try to make an example for you, and explain it. Give me some time, I'm currently busy with other things, but I'll do it within the next 12 hours.
Check back here.

EDIT2
It was a very busy day for me, so I'm just getting back to your question.
I have a question: Does the hotspot appearance change when the switch is clicked?

For switches that don't change appearance when clicked:

See screenshot "Switches" in my next post.

Create 3 variables: Switch1, Switch2, Switch3
Create a hotspot over each switch.

Here an example for the combination 3, 1, 2, 4.

Go to the hotspot properties of Switch3, change the mouse cursor, add a sound if you like (to announce the player that the button has been clicked). Go to the Variables Tab, and change it (see image "Switch3").
Since this is the first switch that the player should click, the other variables must become 0. So if a player has clicked on Switch1 before (and the variable Switch1 was changed to 1) it must be undone again.

Then go to Switch1, change cursor and sound, and change the variables (see image "Switch1).
Since this is the second switch that the player should click, the variable of the switch that the player has to click later, must become 0. So if a player has clicked on Switch2 before (and the variable Switch2 was changed to 1) it must be undone again.

Now comes Switch2, change cursor and sound, and change the variables (see image "Switch2).

Then go to Switch4, change cursor and sound, and change the variables (see image "Switch4a"). This is for the case that the player has not clicked the previous switches in the correct order, and thus we have to set back all the variables to 0.

Then create another hotspot on Switch4, on top of the other one, change cursor and sound, and add also what should happen if the player has clicked the previous switches in the correct order (e.g. go to another frame). Then change the variables (see image "Switch4b").
Attachments
Switch1.JPG
Switch1
Switch1.JPG (28.86 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Switch2.JPG
Switch2
Switch2.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Switch3.JPG
Switch3
Switch3.JPG (28.61 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Switch4a.JPG
Switch4a
Switch4a.JPG (28.68 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Switch4b.JPG
Switch4b
Switch4b.JPG (36.67 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Last edited by Mystery on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry I have to double-post to be able to add one more screenshot.

Btw, I'm thinking about making a general tutorial/explanation about variables, since this seems to be a problem for some new users.
I just have to figure out a way to make it easily understandable - so it may take some brainwork on my part before I can create it ;)
Attachments
Switches.JPG
Screenshot Switches
Switches.JPG (19.23 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Wow! :D
Thakx Mystery! :D
I just saw this tutorial today, because i had some problems with my windows (VISTA, argh!!!!!!), but right now i?m gonna use your tips. I?m creating a game for the contest, is gonna be simple (because i?m using the AD Free edition) but the story is realy cool. :D
Well, thankx again! :lol:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Good luck with your project :D
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi Mystery. I have bad news... it doesn?t worked :cry:
Is there another way to make this :?:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:37 pm

When i create another hotspot on Switch4, on top of the other one, it blocks the other hotspot, so if i click first in the switch4 it opens the door... :cry:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Well, it should work if used correctly. :?

I don't think there is another way, at least nothing jumps into my mind right now.

EDIT
Just saw your second post.
I think that you have to change the settings of your hotspots over the switch 4, and make the settings the other way around.
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi Mystery. Happy holidays! :D
Well, last night i was trying again to follow your tutorial, and then i noticed something wrong when you said "Then go to Switch1, change cursor and sound, and change the variables (see image "Switch2)."
Actually, the right is "Then go to Switch1, change cursor and sound, and change the variables (see image "Switch1).
Now it worked. :D

Regards :wink:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:56 pm

~Love to~, when something is solved, another challenge appears! :lol:
I have a question: The gamer gonna have to put 3 objects inside of a thing (i can?t talk more about that because it?s a challenge of my game to the contest... :( ). If i create 0ne hotspot and then i use the manage inventory itens, how can i do to the third object goes to a another frame but after using the 2 other objects first. Because if i use the third object first, then the other frame is gonna show the third object and the 2 other objects that it wasn?t been used...
Gosh... i have a lot of thing to learn... :lol:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:04 am

Hi Dalton,

I'm sorry for that small mistake in my post - it seems that the typo-devil has attacked ;)
Glad you figured it out, now I have fixed that post :)

For your second question:
I'm not sure if you can manage to do that with the free version.
You could for example work again with 2 hotspots over each other, however you need VBScript to change the value of a variable on dragging an item onto a hotspot :(

I need to think if there is another solution that works with the free version... Or maybe somebody else has an idea.
Mystery

Postby cpkspikyhair » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:31 pm

You need to have 8 different frames:

Blank
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Items 1 + 2
Items 2 + 3
Items 1 + 3
All Items

You start out with the blank. Have them drag one of the three items, then another, then another. Once they get to "All Items", have a timer set for the next frame.
PSPPC GameMaker!! Where you can find PSP and PC games up for download!
cpkspikyhair
Games Page Administrator

Postby Dalton » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:40 pm

sorry cpkspikyhair, i don?t get it.... :cry:
Dalton
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion