GAMES...help..

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

GAMES...help..

Postby mercedes » Mon May 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Can someone tell me which games i can make..with AM..like is it possible to create jigsaws..or I have searches as to which ones..i find sliders and one more..I was just wondering if someone perhaps has ever made a jigsaw..or any other games..I would like to add a mini game to my project..other than a slider puzzle..A jigsaw would be really cool..Even one with squares jigsaw..picture you can put together..

Can the user drag pieces onto a board or drag items onto anything for that matter..without creating an event..basicaly just drag an item onto a board or wall whichever..

Example..

The user finds blocks all over the house and is now able to put them in a box...to form a word or whichever..can be numbered boxs or letters..

Thanks very much for any input..!!:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Dragging objects on the screen is unfortunately not possible.

But of course it is possible to let the player collect pieces, and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle - I've done that myself, but it's of course a lot of work :roll:

Just a superficial description what you need to do:
You need to create as many hotspots as there are pieces, and then set the hotspots so that the piece that is dragged onto it from the inventory, is loaded in the hotspot (Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(Hotspot_Number), "Image_Name.jpg").
Further, if the piece is correct, you need to set the corresponding variable to 1 (there will one variable per jigsaw piece).
Additionally you will probably set up a hotspot that checks if the pieces are at the correct place.
If all are at the correct place, the player gets something (a hint, access to another room, a key or whatever - it's up to you).
If they are not at the correct place, all the hotspots need to be "emptied", the player needs to get back all jigsaw pieces into the inventory, and all the variables need to be reset to 0.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Mon May 12, 2008 10:13 pm

WOW!..this is a good idea..it's exactly what I've been wanting to do since i started with AM projects..

You need to create as many hotspots as there are pieces, and then set the hotspots so that the piece that is dragged onto it from the inventory, is loaded in the hotspot (Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(Hotspot_Number), "Image_Name.jpg").

I'm not sure what you mean here..or how to do it..So are you saying..In one place say have 16 peices of picture..on the board..all in different places to start.?..Or have them find them throughout the house and have to drag them..from the inventory as opposed to being on the board already..? .

If they are not at the correct place, all the hotspots need to be "emptied", the player needs to get back all jigsaw pieces into the inventory, and all the variables need to be reset to 0.

I don;'t understand "how" I would do this..I get what you mean..but not sure how to do it in variable tab..or whichever..Like how to make it so the pieces all go away again..and reset to 0

I guess I can't have all pieces already on the board... I have to have them in inventory..? Probably eh..I don't think I can drag them around otherwise..Ok so now i gues its to make the user find them in the house..

so its just how to do it in the properties box..and how to make them go away..and reset to 0..

Could you help me..? Pretty pleeeeeasseee..:)

THanks Mystery..of course at your own convenience..thanks very much..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm

There is nothing that you HAVE to do in a certain way - it's always up to you, and there are certainly different solutions.

I have just described what I have done once - this was a solution that I have been able to figure out myself after struggling with it for probably hours. There are other ways to create a jigsaw puzzle, but I didn't know how to do it, so I chose a way how I could implement this puzzle myself back then.

Things that you'll need to add to the Hotspot Properties of the hotspot that is there to check if the puzzle has been put together correctly:

To reset a variable, just use "MyVariable = 0"
(You'll need to do this for all the variables of your jigsaw pieces)

To "empty" a hotspot, either make it transparent
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(Hotspot_Number), ""
(but in this case the players won't know where to drag the pieces because the hotspot is transparent), or just load a certain default background image into them (for example a white image)
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(Hotspot_Number), "White.jpg"
(Again, you'll need to do this for all hotspot images of your jigsaw puzzle)

To add items (puzzle pieces) to the inventory to give them back to the player:
First you need to remove all pieces from the inventory (for the case that the player didn't put all pieces yet - otherwise giving them all pieces back may result in having certain pieces double)
Action.RemoveAllItems
(attention, if you have inventory items other than the jigsaw puzzles, you may need to find another way of removing the pieces that the player has not used yet, otherwise those items will be removed, too).
Then add the pieces to the inventory using:
Action.AddItem "Item_Name"
(Again, you need to give the player all jigsaw pieces back)

In order not to make it too complicated for myself, I only let the player play the jigsaw puzzle after collecting ALL pieces. If pieces were missing, they got a message that they need to search for more pieces first.
But this is also just one of the options - you could do it differently.

As I said there may be many different ways to create a jigsaw puzzle, what I have described is just one of them.
I'm sure that our "VBScript professionals" would have a better and maybe even easier solution :P
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue May 13, 2008 7:32 am

Somebody called me? Hehe... Just kidding...

I like your solution Mystery. That's what I thought when I saw the mercedes' post (I mean having pieces in the inventory, so that the player can drag them. But still, VB does support dragging (it's one of the first improvements in Visual languages like VB, Visual C, etc), and you can define wheather an object is dragable or not and what procedure to follow in case it is dragged onto something (that's how AM's inventory works). Yet I don't know wheather it's supported in AM. There's only one way to find out! (but I 'm lacking time :( )
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Chromegloss55 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

There are loads of ideas to solve this problem...

Sadly, describing mine would take way too long...

:)

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion