Game tracker

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Game tracker

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 am

If i setup a game torrent tracker for your games you make would anyone use it?

A BitTorrent client is any program that implements the BitTorrent protocol. Each client is capable of preparing, requesting, and transmitting any type of computer file over a network, using the protocol. A peer is any computer running an instance of a client.

To share a file or group of files, a peer first creates a small file called a "torrent" (e.g. MyFile.torrent). This file contains metadata about the files to be shared and about the tracker, the computer that coordinates the file distribution. Peers that want to download the file must first obtain a torrent file for it, and connect to the specified tracker, which tells them from which other peers to download the pieces of the file.

Though both ultimately transfer files over a network, a BitTorrent download differs from a classic full-file HTTP request in several fundamental ways:

* BitTorrent makes many small data requests over different TCP sockets, while web-browsers typically make a single HTTP GET request over a single TCP socket.
* BitTorrent downloads in a random or in a "rarest-first"[2] approach that ensures high availability, while HTTP downloads in a sequential manner.

Taken together, these differences allow BitTorrent to achieve much lower cost, much higher redundancy, and much greater resistance to abuse or to "flash crowds" than a regular HTTP server. However, this protection comes at a cost: downloads can take time to rise to full speed because it may take time for enough peer connections to be established, and it takes time for a node to receive sufficient data to become an effective uploader. As such, a typical BitTorrent download will gradually rise to very high speeds, and then slowly fall back down toward the end of the download. This contrasts with an HTTP server that, while more vulnerable to overload and abuse, rises to full speed very quickly and maintains this speed throughout.

In general, BitTorrent's non-contiguous download methods have prevented it from supporting "progressive downloads" or "streaming playback". But comments made by Bram Cohen in January 2007 suggest that streaming torrent downloads will soon be commonplace and ad supported streaming appears to be the result of those comments.

[edit] Creating and publishing torrents

The peer distributing a data file treats the file as a number of identically-sized pieces, typically between 64 kB and 4 MB each. The peer creates a checksum for each piece, using the SHA1 hashing algorithm, and records it in the torrent file. Pieces with sizes greater than 512 kB will reduce the size of a torrent file for a very large payload, but is claimed to reduce the efficiency of the protocol [1]. When another peer later receives a particular piece, the checksum of the piece is compared to the recorded checksum to test that the piece is error-free.[3] Peers that provide a complete file are called seeders, and the peer providing the initial copy is called the initial seeder.

The exact information contained in the torrent file depends on the version of the BitTorrent protocol. By convention, the name of a torrent file has the suffix .torrent. Torrent files have an "announce" section, which specifies the URL of the tracker, and an "info" section, containing (suggested) names for the files, their lengths, the piece length used, and a SHA-1 hash code for each piece, all of which is used by clients to verify the integrity of the data they receive.

Completed torrent files are typically published on websites or elsewhere, and registered with a tracker. The tracker maintains lists of the clients currently participating in the torrent.[3] Alternatively, in a trackerless system (decentralized tracking) every peer acts as a tracker. This is implemented by the BitTorrent, ?Torrent, BitComet, KTorrent and Deluge clients through the distributed hash table (DHT) method. Vuze also supports a trackerless method that is incompatible (as of April 2007) with the DHT offered by all other supporting clients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.torrent
Last edited by Candle on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:09 am

A torrent tracker?

A. Is there any possibility of harming my PC?
B. What the doo-dah is it??? :?: :?:
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:17 am

A BitTorrent tracker is a server which assists in the communication between peers using the BitTorrent protocol. It is also, in the absence of extensions to the original protocol, the only major critical point, as clients are required to communicate with the tracker to initiate downloads. Clients that have already begun downloading also communicate with the tracker periodically to negotiate with newer peers and provide statistics; however, after the initial reception of peer data, peer communication can continue without a tracker.
have a read here better that way.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 am

Okay, yeah! I'd be okay with it... :)
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby mercedes » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:53 am

So you would be making this so other users or ppl can download our games.. .......Just to clarify this..just so i understand it..:)

From what i understand...this would be users..downloading from u as well as say Zshare.....because you would have our games on ur system..like a peer to peer thing..

If it works out that say zshare is down ...Users can download from you..?

I"m trying to imagine it like..music files...and ppl download from the internet using Torrent trackers..They find whatever "source" to download the game from..and if someone else gets timed out..say zshare or whatever...as long as ur online...they can still retrieve it..?

Is this what u mean Candle..?...
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:55 am

Go to that link i posted and read about torrents and trackers , it will tell you all about it and how it works.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 am

So are u saying you would be a "Private Tracker" then..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Well it would be only for here I guess.so yes it would be a "Private Tracker" .
Only members of this forum could upload but anyone else could use the torrent from it to download the game.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Well that's a great idea since Rapidshare deletes my files after a while...
It would be great and innovative for AM to have its own tracker as soon as only free games are distributed through it... You could also add it to the site...

I agree with it and yes I would use it... But who's gonna seed?
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:16 pm

The one that seeds is the owner of the game.
I think it could be used for demos too.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

I think

Postby Harvester » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:40 pm

I think it would be a great idea, but only if there would be a very brief method for people to make their own torrent files which I haven't done yet. Otherwise it's potentials won't be exploited. But if this was done, I guess there would be far less problems with spreading new games or other materials since by torrent also pictures, music, etc. could be shared. But then it gives another issue: it should be controlled and moderated carefully since if every registered members can upload, there's a great risk to have dangerous material up.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Candle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 pm

You use your torrent client to make your own torrents.
It would be reg users only not an open tracker.
If you use utorrent you click File then Create New Torrent.
Pretty simple to use the torrent clients.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion