An experiment with AM over the next months

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

An experiment with AM over the next months

Postby chickens1127 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Over the last couple weeks, I have been screwing around with electricity and robotics, though it's pretty tough. But today a good idea came to me and I researched it (@Google: Thanks!) and it might work.

This is my idea:

Do you know at like the old arcade places they have those guns (aka "light guns") that you point at the screen and shoot? Well, I researched how they work, and they use something called a photodiode (I have 10!) which detect light and make electricity. A electric triger-switch ($2 USD) is attached, and some other components.

So what you would do is make a black screen (no light emitted) in AM and have white or light colored (sorry African-Americans, I'm not being racist, it just wouldn't work cuase you need a light color for the photodiode to work) characters on the screen. The light gun would not be connected to the computer, since that would be too difficult, but an LED on the light gun would light up when you shot an enemy. In AM, you would just have frames that update every 5 seconds, like a slidshow.

What do ya think? It might need a lot of edits as I work on it though.
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Jaked » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:37 pm

I just made a snake thing with robotic components (Mindstorm). I'm sure I can add a sensor and then play Indiana Jones: The Adventure of AM Porportions :P. You can use the whip to take objects and use the light gun to talk to people (like Zelda for the CD-I)
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Zenoc2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Now how did you build a snake out of a Lego Mindstorms set?
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby chickens1127 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:20 pm

I think he got a robotics kit.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Jaked » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Yes, DOH! :) :) :) :)
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:13 pm

I know. The Mindstorms NXT set is a robotics set. But how did you build a snake out of it?
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Jaked » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Easy. I have not one, but two NXT sets (it took all of my allowance, but whatever), as well as Bionicle. You can program anything LEGO. So I used some Bionicle parts and all the mindstorms parts, but a sensor on it and voila.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby chickens1127 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 pm

That's not really robotics though, with your little LEGO programmer.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Jaked » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 am

chickens1127 wrote:That's not really robotics though, with your little LEGO programmer.
True. It's not the LEGO... it's the sensors of vision, sonic, optical, and sound as well as the 3 motors and the programmer. Overall the legos are about 25 percent of the overall 520 dollars spent, but let's get back on track.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby chickens1127 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:28 pm

Yes, I realize, but do you actully have to write C++ or binary code to transfer over using the programmer? I didn't think so.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Jaked » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm

chickens1127 wrote:Yes, I realize, but do you actully have to write C++ or binary code to transfer over using the programmer? I didn't think so.
It is in block format, once you CODE WHAT THE BLOCKS DO IN C++. Oh well, I could only make my robots walk around, pick up a ball, and pretend to die. Not much...
Jaked
Code Master

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion