Online play

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Online play

Postby Tommy Gun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:26 am

Hello again!

I'm pretty sure the answer is no because I've been searching the forum and didn't see anything to suggest otherwise but just to make sure, I'm wondering if it is possible to post and play an AM game directly on the internet.

In short, I founded a forum of my own and would like to use AM to make some educational-ish tools...sort of like a virtual museum...and in fact, have one nearly completed. The problem is that the file is already getting pretty big so my guess is that a lot of people won't be extremely excited to download it and of course, the law of convience would suggest that the tool would be used more if someone could just log in and play it. I'm using the same forum format that is used here (phpbb) so I thought there might be a chance of finding a way for this to work...and I also installed an arcade mod to my forum just in case...?

I also noticed that the AM home page allows for someone to play a demo online which also got my hopes up since I own my own domain and even if I couldn't get this to work on the same domain as my forum, I also own the .org, .info, .us, etc versions that I could use...if that is at all possible?

Am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-TG
Tommy Gun

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:13 am

I gather this got posted twice by accident..:?..lol

In answer to your question..are u asking whether or not u can post a game/tutorial on your site..using AM..cause if so..have u looked at the other games that come with AM..The one's with made in different formats.
Sample game for iphone/ipod format and the psp format..Not sure if this is what u are looking for..or if im misunderstanding..there is also the experimental html ..I believe you should be able to host them on your own website..I think Mystery does at least i believe she does..:?..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Tommy Gun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:24 am

Yes, sorry, the double post is an accident...not sure what happened there exactly.

I'm not sure what the rules may or may not be for placing links on this website so I guess the best explanation I can give is that I'm looking to do something very similar to the hundreds of sites you can find by searching for "online games". I understand how to make games and make an .exe file that I could host for others to download and install on their computer, but what I'm interested in is hosting the game directly on my site...more like this one: http://www.adventuremaker.com/sample1/
Tommy Gun

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:42 am

Here's another link that might explain it better..
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4604

As far as I know..you just
Upload the entire output folder from AM into on to your website. Link to the index.html page inside the folder..and that's it i believe..

Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:43 am

If you save it in exe format, you can not play it online. From what I know (i might not be totally correct), you have to create it in ipod or iphone format and save it as html format and add it to the site, but then you cant use certain features, like vbscript. It would be very basic.

I tried creating a game in windows format and saved it as html, but it would not work on my site.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Tommy Gun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:17 am

Awesome, I will give it a try and let you know if it works or not. I'm actually pretty excited about it because its been a real test of memory to keep all of the frames and hotspots organized correctly! :D

Maybe I am wrong but even if you can only make the .exe file, you can simply install it on your computer and all of the files you need would then be accessable...usually in your program files or whatever location you have chosen. Otherwise, all of the files you need are set aside in the projects folder of the AM files, correct?
Tommy Gun

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:49 am

hi there..

Once the project is compiled..U can access it as the project u have..in the folder of AM...Your own I think you can as an exe..but you can protect it ..I'm assuming u are asking this as a question for other players as well...?

Here is a topic that once came up about this..:)
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4362&highlight=compiled

Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby Tommy Gun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:04 am

:D Well it is good to see that I'm not the only one who has questions like that! I was wondering the same sort of thing and that is good to know because I was contemplating going back to watermark my images and logos just in case.

I understand what you mean about the .exe files and just played around a little bit by making every type of file that AM can create for the end user so I've got a better idea of how to do what I want. Unfortunately I have to go back and dump the plugin I used and apparently the pop up text boxes so I can use the HTML option correctly but that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

As a sidenote, I did read something about how AM makes a game that will run with a simple double click... I assume that is referring to a double click after it is installed locally and not on the internet, correct?
Tommy Gun

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:34 am

Are u refering to doubleclicking the icon on the Desktop..? as an AM1 file or the exe...or something different..Perhaps u could post what u read..:D..I would assume on the desktop as an icon..to "run" the game..Not an online option..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Tommy Gun » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Hmmm...perhaps I am day dreaming about that because I can't find where I thought I read it at but I am sure you are right. I tried the HTML option and it seems to work pretty well except I was relying on the cursor changes to make the navigation options obvious so I guess I will have to add a small toolbar to each frame with arrows or something so people know where to click. Luckily I haven't gotten too far yet :D I don't suppose there might be some plans to continue with developing the HTML option further?

I know its a bit off topic but I was wondering if we are restricted to using only .avi movies or not? I know that its a good format to use but I'm concerned about the file size repercussions. For example, I made a 21 second video that I want to use as a transition and in .wmv format its adds less than 2 MB to the overall project but the same video in .avi format adds 76 MB :shock:
Tommy Gun

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I don't know what plans GM-Support has with the HTML feature. Maybe he can post about it when he comes to the forums again :)

K-Light codec can compress your .avi files pretty well.
It's free to download. Just make sure you include it in your installation of your game, so that players don't experience problems playing your videos. :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Cat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 am

This was the closest I could find to a thread about my question, which is: is it possible to use inventory items with HTML output? I thought it was, since a test game used inventory, but I'm not having any luck getting it to work. So before I tear out any more hair... is that because it won't work? Thanks for your time!
Cat

Postby mercedes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 am

Hi Cat..!~:D

Unfortunetly no, :(.. you cannot use the AM inventory with HTML..You have to make one of your own..with hotspots and variables-- if u wish to hide the items till the user grabs them..If you check that game out..in your projects folder--the one u speak of..You will see how they implemented an inventory~

I don't know if u have played "Save the Princess" created by Mystery...That game gives u an idea on how to implement your own inventory..

Save the Princess

Hope that helps..:)

Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby Cat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks very much for your answer! I'll have a look at Save the Princess. :)
--------------

That's a very cute game - is there anything anywhere describing how it was made?
Cat

Postby mercedes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:20 am

Actually you make it like u would any other game....Here are features NOT supported with html or ipod/iphone..

Play sounds
- Use the inventory (instead, you can use a variable to remember whether the item was picked up or not: see the sample game for an example)
- Create savegames
- Play videos (use animated GIF's instead)
- Display text at any position of the frame (the text that you create by right-clicking on a frame)
- Use VBScript
- Display cursors
- Use plugins (3rd person plugin, panoramas, etc.)
- All the other advanced features

That ARE supported..

- Move from frame to frame.
- Use variables to create puzzles (all the options under the "variables" tab of the Hotspot Properties are supported).
- Use both transparent and graphical hotspots.
- Display text messages at the bottom of the screen.
- Use timers to go to another frame after X seconds (from the Frame Properties window).
- Use animated GIF's.

More info here..

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/phone.htm

From what I know..u simply make a game like u would any other game..but staying away from ADVANCE TAB...and certain files..like cursors..Then hit the link on the side that says HTML--when ready to compile.....Or u can use the ipod/iphone platform..:)

Another option is to ask Mystery in the thread she posted the game.? Have u made a game before using any of the platforms..?

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Cat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:34 am

That's a lot of information, thanks very much! Yes, I've made a few games but they were all exe files, this was my first attempt to make one for an HTML output. I'll experiment with the information you've given me. I appreciate the help!
Cat

Postby mercedes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:37 am

Ok well that's what I would do t hen..I would start with a Windows based game...but staying away from the Advanced tab and .cur files..or right-clicking the frame..and u should be ok...Or u can simply make one in one of the other platforms..This way what isn't usable is grayed - out..

If u run into any problems..u can post back as well..:D

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion