Graphical Puzzle

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Well, here?s the ideia: 6 photos on 6 tables. There?s a sequence to do. But even in the wrong sequence, the photos will be shown on the tables. Only when the player puts the last photo in the last table, something will happen (if it is the right sequence), or a text messege will shown saying "nothing happens" (if it is the wrong sequence). That?s the ideia of my secong puzzle.

reneuend wrote:If it requires a specific sequence, that is the way I would suggest doing it! Remember: The variable only equals "1" when the user drags it to the correct hotspot. If they drag it to the wrong one, then set it to "0".

Note: In the previous example with 2 locks, there were 2 places you had to put the code shown below. In this instance, you'll need to put the code in 6 locations!

Code: Select all
if lock1 = 1 and lock2 = 1 and lock3 = 1 and lock4 = 1 and lock5 = 1 and lock6 = 1 then
  msgbox "how did you ever figure this combination out!"
end if

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 pm

So, you can't have duplicates in this case, right?

For each drag event, you'll need to check if one of the tables already has the same photo on it, if so, then change the table with the photo to transparent. Does that make sense?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm

That?s the point, because there?s nothing on the tables, any photos, just the tables. One exemple: table 1, the right photo is a cake, and in this table i can use the other 5 photos, and they will be shown on the table, but the photo of the cake is the right photo.

reneuend wrote:So, you can't have duplicates in this case, right?

For each drag event, you'll need to check if one of the tables already has the same photo on it, if so, then change the table with the photo to transparent. Does that make sense?
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Why do you have 6 tables then?
or is it just 1 table with 6 photos? :?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 pm

6 especial tables, and each table have to be a especial photo. I can?t tell with details because i intend to use my game to the next AM contest :)
By the way, congrats for your adventure game, i played and it?s really fun :)

reneuend wrote:Why do you have 6 tables then?
or is it just 1 table with 6 photos? :?
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 pm

So.. the tables start off empty, ...?

But the user drags each one in a sequence..and when they get it right..the one remains..--that being the cake one[ for that one table]..?
mercedes
VIP

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Yes, that?s right. The tables start empty and then the player will drag the photos to this tables, but only one photo will be the right one for each table. The gamer will know if the sequence is the right one only when the last photo will be on the last table.

mercedes wrote:So.. the tables start off empty, ...?

But the user drags each one in a sequence..and when they get it right..the one remains..--that being the cake one[ for that one table]..?
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Every time you drag a picture to a table, you have to load the right picture in a transparent hotspot and delete the item from the inventory.If the you click again on the hotspot, which has loaded the picture you have to unload the picture and get the item back in inventory so you can place it on an other table.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:43 pm

I deleted my response as Juhuwoorps stated it much better then I did! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 pm

I?m really sorry because i don?t get it.
I think i can?t do this because there is the varibles configuration...

juhuwoorps wrote:Every time you drag a picture to a table, you have to load the right picture in a transparent hotspot and delete the item from the inventory.If the you click again on the hotspot, which has loaded the picture you have to unload the picture and get the item back in inventory so you can place it on an other table.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Sure you can do this.
You just need a little bit more of scripting :)
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Dalton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

I don?t know... I?ll try to change this puzzle to something more simple.

juhuwoorps wrote:Sure you can do this.
You just need a little bit more of scripting :)
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Dalton, do you have the full version of AM?
Sorry, I just tend to forget who has what :P
I might be able to throw together a demo/tutorial or something like that in the next 2 days with what you need :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dalton » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:41 am

Hi Mystery :P

I?m using the free edition, but i?m creating the game from the end to the begining, because the begining of the game there?s no varibles and VBScript (the gameplay is simple from the begining of my game, but from the middle to the end, there?s some VBScript nd varibles).
About the demo/tutorial, thanks a lot :D
I was changing the graphical puzzle, but now i?ll wait for the tutorial :P

Mystery wrote:Dalton, do you have the full version of AM?
Sorry, I just tend to forget who has what :P
I might be able to throw together a demo/tutorial or something like that in the next 2 days with what you need :)
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:51 am

Okay, Dalton, you find the tutorial in the following thread:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=5027

If anything is not clear, please feel free to post your questions there :)
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:13 am

Thank you mystery :)
I?ll check this tutorial and soon i?ll tell you if it worked :)

Mystery wrote:Okay, Dalton, you find the tutorial in the following thread:

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 am

Hi again.
The problem using this is: if the gamer use the wrong photos in a table, nothing will happen, so then the gamer will try an another photo and another photo at the same place, and this is a problem because it will be like cheating, because the ideia is the gamer trying the photos in any table, but he will know only if the sequence is right when he use the last photo in the last table.

Mystery wrote:Okay, Dalton, you find the tutorial in the following thread:

Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:02 am

Sorry Dalton, I don't quite understand what you mean.
The player will only know if the sequence is right after he/she has placed all photos.
Mystery

Postby Dalton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 am

Yes. Well, here?s something about my graphical puzzle: the gamer will find a paper with a poetry or something, and in this poerty there?s the right sequence to use in the tables, but in codes. So if the player uses only the "clicking any photo and nothing wil be shown" he will know the sequence only by droping the photos and he even will not need to read the poetry. The ideia is the gamer trying all the photos in the tables. An exemple: i have the photo 1,2,3,4,5 and 6, but the right sequence is table 3,1,2,4,6,5. So i?ll try the photo 1 in the table 5. Is wrong but the photo will be shown on the table. Same with the other photos. Then the last photo i?ll put on the table 3 for exemple. The photo will be shown on the table but nothing will happen because is the wrong sequence. Then the gamer will know is the wrong sequence by a message "nothing happens". But then, when the gamer reads the poetry, he?ll know the right sequence, so he?ll try it on the tables.

Mystery wrote:Sorry Dalton, I don't quite understand what you mean.
The player will only know if the sequence is right after he/she has placed all photos.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:40 am

But that's what my tutorial does.
The player must place first all photos, the photos will be shown on the tables whether it's correct or not. Look at page 10 and 11 of my PDF tutorial, you will see that the photo will displayed even if it's the wrong place.
And only after the player has places ALL photos, he will be told that it's correct or wrong. If it's wrong, the player will have to restart the puzzle.
Mystery

Postby 3dgamer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Daltin,

Dalton wrote:Yes. Well, here?s something about my graphical puzzle: the gamer will find a paper with a poetry or something, and in this poerty there?s the right sequence to use in the tables, but in codes. So if the player uses only the "clicking any photo and nothing wil be shown" he will know the sequence only by droping the photos and he even will not need to read the poetry. The ideia is the gamer trying all the photos in the tables. An exemple: i have the photo 1,2,3,4,5 and 6, but the right sequence is table 3,1,2,4,6,5. So i?ll try the photo 1 in the table 5. Is wrong but the photo will be shown on the table. Same with the other photos. Then the last photo i?ll put on the table 3 for exemple. The photo will be shown on the table but nothing will happen because is the wrong sequence. Then the gamer will know is the wrong sequence by a message "nothing happens". But then, when the gamer reads the poetry, he?ll know the right sequence, so he?ll try it on the tables.

This seems similar to one of the puzzles that I have done (it uses 6 items as well). And I mostly used variables in the Variables tab, so IIRC, there should be no real scripting needed in a modified version of this. The key thing that has helped me do a puzzle like this is to map out your variables in how they will go from 0 to 1 and from 1 to 0. This helped me out a lot. Also, you would need a "reset" option to reset your variables when the player does it incorrectly (such as after the message "nothing happens" appears).

(I will see if I can find my notes on this and post what I can later on to see if this is what you are looking for.)

Cya.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok, but when i use the code of page 5, a message error is shown. It say the "(" canot be used...

Mystery wrote:But that's what my tutorial does.
The player must place first all photos, the photos will be shown on the tables whether it's correct or not. Look at page 10 and 11 of my PDF tutorial, you will see that the photo will displayed even if it's the wrong place.
And only after the player has places ALL photos, he will be told that it's correct or wrong. If it's wrong, the player will have to restart the puzzle.
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Did you enter any code? Please show your code for that frame! You are probably making a subroutine call with Parenthesis.

Example:

WRONG: Action.LoadAPicture (Hotspot(1), "myimage.jpg")

CORRECT: Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(1), "myimage.jpg"
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Dalton...If u are speaking of the (Has Item) function on Page 6..U may have just forgotten either one of the Brackets..Or..

Where did u put that code..make sure it goes into the procedures..not the advanced tabs..
The rest of the codes go into the advanced tab once u drag each item..
but the (has item) function goes into the Global Procedures window--link on the side..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Here is the code from page 6 if you would like to copy-paste it into the VB Procedures:
Function HasItem(ItemName)

HasItem = False
 For Each X in InventoryItemObject
  If X.Tag = ItemName Then
   HasItem = True
  End If
 Next

End Function
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 am

....and to use HasItem, be sure to do this

If HasItem "Card 1" then
  'the player has the "Card 1" item in his/her inventory
else
  'the player does not have the "Card 1" item in his/her inventory
end if
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby 3dgamer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 pm

3dgamer wrote:...(I will see if I can find my notes on this and post what I can later on to see if this is what you are looking for.) Cya.

Okay, mine is a little different. It has two-state order (right/wrong) for 6 objects as opposed to showing all 6 states, individually. So even though it may be mostly variables, it will probably not do what you are precisely looking for.

But I just got a chance to read over Mystery's tutorial and it really looks like it will do exactly what you want. :) I hope you can get it working, soon!

Cya!

---------------[EDIT]-------------------------

Dalton wrote:I?m using the free edition, but i?m creating the game from the end to the begining, because the begining of the game there?s no varibles and VBScript (the gameplay is simple from the begining of my game, but from the middle to the end, there?s some VBScript nd varibles).
About the demo/tutorial, thanks a lot :D

Hi again Dalton,

Just for clarification, are you using the free version to work on Mystery's tutorial or were you able to finally get the full version? I didn't quite understand which one you had now, from your response. I know that the free version does not support scripting, that's why I was looking at a non-scripting solution, initially.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Just for clarification, are you using the free version to work on Mystery's tutorial or were you able to finally get the full version? I didn't quite understand which one you had now, from your response. I know that the free version does not support scripting, that's why I was looking at a non-scripting solution, initially.

He's probably evaluating AM..U can evaluate with full featurses- under 20 frames..:D

Let us know Dalton if this worked out for you...
If u are having trouble knowing where to place things..and what variables to make..Just post back and one of us I'm sure will help.~ This script is exactly what u want...but if u are having trouble making it work..let us know..There seems to be alot of work involved thus far..might as well finish it.!:D:D
You can always pm one of us too..up to u..~!

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:57 pm

mercedes wrote:

He's probably evaluating AM..U can evaluate with full featurses- under 20 frames..:D

Thanks for the clearing that up, Mercedes. :)

Ahhhh, I see now...the 20 page advanced technique limitation information is below the comparison chart <http://www.adventuremaker.com/overview.htm> I was just going by the chart which states that there is no scripting for the Free version. Perhaps there should be an asterik next to the "Advanced features:" line so site visitors will know to look below for more information about that section. Anyway, just a suggestion. ;)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 pm

As i said before, i?m using the Free Edition but i?m creating this short game by the end, where there?s some puzzles using scripting, to the begining :wink:

Well, i tryed a lot, and the message error still been shown, and i don?t know why... So i?ll post an image of the VBS Code.

3dgamer wrote:
mercedes wrote:

Thanks for the clearing that up, Mercedes. :)

Ahhhh, I see now...the 20 page advanced technique limitation information is below the comparison chart <http://www.adventuremaker.com/overview.htm> I was just going by the chart which states that there is no scripting for the Free version. Perhaps there should be an asterik next to the "Advanced features:" line so site visitors will know to look below for more information about that section. Anyway, just a suggestion. ;)
Attachments
Código.jpg
Código.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 19970 times
Dalton
Expert Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion