Really Interesting Game Design...Can It Be Mimicked in AM?

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Really Interesting Game Design...Can It Be Mimicked in AM?

Postby 3dgamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey folks,

I ran across this site by accident but it is really inspiring me to see if I could do something similar in AM. There are definitely things that AM probably won't support or be able to do, but it would be worth exploring! ;)

Got Milk? - http://www.gettheglass.com/index2.html

I played it but got stopped at the flower in the hair puzzle...will try again to see how far I can get. :)

Cya!

-------------[EDIT]--------------------------

Okay, one problem I find with their flower puzzle is order requirements and hotspot issues... The require you to put the flowers int he right order, although this is not expressed in the instructions. Also, it seems that the hotspots are not easily identifiable. I also was able to inadvertently drag a flower off the screen and could not retrieve it again, so that is a no-no.

Nice game, but could have gone for more beta testing before release.

-------------------[EDIT]-------------------------------------

Yep, they really should have beta tested this one some more. :) Found other issues, but the biggest was the puzzle in trying to keep the daughter calm. Besides not personally liking the the premise of it (I know that they are trying to be funny/cute and informative at the same time, but it just isn't funny to me), you can't read the questions fast enough to respond to the correct answers in the time they give you. The font is very small and the questions are below the answers; should be the other way around because that is how people naturally read questions and answers.

Great graphics and 3D animation, though. I just don't know if I can take the time to get through it.

If anyone finishes it, could you let me know?

Thanks. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:45 pm

well, the flower puzzle just needed a little pixel hunting, not the right order.

The Q&A puzzle works this way: You see a big answer? that's it :P

I almost finished it... couldn't get the last riddle
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby 3dgamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Lyberodoggy wrote:well, the flower puzzle just needed a little pixel hunting, not the right order.

It's interesting that you say it is a pixel hunting thing. I thought so too, but when I would get a flower right and then try again the next round, it didn't work. :( But it always seemed to work when I did it in a particular order. So maybe it is pixel hunting, but perhaps putting them in a certain order may help narrow the search area for particular pixels? Dunno...but it was challenging for me.

Lyberodoggy wrote:The Q&A puzzle works this way: You see a big answer? that's it :P

Okay, thanks for the tip, Lyberodoggy. I'll check out the Q&A puzzle once again. [ Gee, I was hoping they wouldn't force people to read all that content in such a short time. :? ]

Btw, did you get the scrambled word puzzle earlier on in the game? I was in the midst of getting it but only got to enter a few letters when time ran out. Then I noticed that it didn't repeat like the others. If you did get it, would you mind PM-ing me the answer? [don't want to ruin it for anyone who wants to play ;) ]

Lyberodoggy wrote:I almost finished it... couldn't get the last riddle

Cool...let me know how long it takes you! :)

Cya!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 pm

I saw this game several months ago and thought the graphics were stunning!

I envy people that can draw like that and build such smooth animation.

I didn't care much for the game play though. I did get through the whole thing but not in the first attempt.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 am

This whole puzzle was created with Flash..It could be done in AM, some of it....I'm assuming u mean as a downloadable..with the Flash plugin--I don't know about interaction though...That's different..
It was well done, I love games made with flash..Kind of reminded me of Esklavos series..the artwork...:)~
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:44 am

Well 3d, If you mean the Mastermind card, I just stomped on my keyboard when I didn't know what letters to press and it worked (not for my keyboard though :P)

I 've yet not solved the last riddle (after the safe)
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 pm

What a cute game! It's amazing, but the game play was very frustrating to me. I can read very quickly but I couldn't read fast enough for the Q&A part. For the flower in the hair puzzle, I found it was order, first you have to do one side from bottom to top, then the other side from bottom to top, then the center flower, then finally the last two flowers on either side of the center flower.
I found the dice roll frustrating. I rolled a one 8 times in a row!!
Very cute game though.
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:12 am

The dice isn't randomized though (or that's not what it seems). I think that it works with real physics
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:32 pm

When I first played it I thought they probably weighted the randomization to lean toward lower numbers.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:38 pm

as i played it first it gives me just high numbers :)
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That just shows you the kind of luck I have!!!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:41 pm

LOL, me too; if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck!
I can't even imagine rolling a one 8 times in a row in real life, lol.
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Zenoc2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Just played through it- took me about 11 minutes. :)

It looks like they used a mixture of CG and claymation for the graphics- kind of like in the movie "Coraline". Fun little game.
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby 3dgamer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 am

reneuend wrote:I saw this game several months ago and thought the graphics were stunning!

What!!? And you didn't tell us? Hold out! :P

mercedes wrote:II'm assuming u mean as a downloadable..with the Flash plugin--

Actually I was thinking of the look/feel moreso than downloadability. I think there are some aspects which would have to be relegated to straight animation. I see a lot of full screen sections for some of this if it were to be done in AM. But It would be a huge file if it were a 800 x 600 or higher. So I think file size would dictate something like this in AM. Possibly having it separated in modules would help the download size. Just thinking out loud. ;)

Lyberodoggy wrote:Well 3d, If you mean the Mastermind card, I just stomped on my keyboard when I didn't know what letters to press and it worked (not for my keyboard though Razz)

I 've yet not solved the last riddle (after the safe)

I did that too and it did advance me to the next level. I knew I got it wrong because I didn't finish it, but it seemed not to matter. I haven't even gotten to the last riddle yet.

Kat12 wrote:What a cute game! It's amazing, but the game play was very frustrating to me. I can read very quickly but I couldn't read fast enough for the Q&A part. For the flower in the hair puzzle, I found it was order,...

It's funny, you and I reached the same conclusion about both these puzzles. :)

As far as the dice is concerned, I think it is physics generated but limited in its randomization. It seemed like when I played the game a second time, I got to the exact same milestones in the game. It would be an experiment to play the game several times to see if the die roll was truly random.

Well, when I finally get some free time I hope to finish it. I was doing well at 5 minutes and was right before that big bend to the mountain on the left when I had to stop. Will try again when I can.

Oh, and don't you love how they try to collect your and your fiends' email addresses? ;) Clever...but I didn't use that option. :) Did anyone ask for bail in the game? Just curious.

Cya!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby cpkspikyhair » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 pm

The last puzzle I got instantly! Lol :D maybe its just because I'm used to asking for things politely :wink:

EDIT: I beat it in 10:23 :P
PSPPC GameMaker!! Where you can find PSP and PC games up for download!
cpkspikyhair
Games Page Administrator

Postby 3dgamer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:27 am

cpkspikyhair wrote:The last puzzle I got instantly! Lol :D maybe its just because I'm used to asking for things politely :wink:

EDIT: I beat it in 10:23 :P

I finished in 10:25..why?...because of a typo at the end that I did!!! :x [ but I guess I shouldn't feel too badly...I saw a typo on one of their closing slates..."healty hair" instead of "healthy hair". ;) ]

Oh well....it was fun anyway! ;) Maybe if I have another 15 minutes to blow some time in the near future, I might try to beat my score. :)

Cya!
Last edited by 3dgamer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:37 am

It doesn't surprise me that 3DGamer found an error! :wink:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby 3dgamer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:39 am

reneuend wrote:It doesn't surprise me that 3DGamer found an error! :wink:

-hehe ;)
3DGamer