Video Format?

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Video Format?

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:24 am

Hi. Sorry for all the posts and annoying questions. I want to learn this stuff before fully committing and buying. Anyways I have one more question. Another of my ideas (the idea I might start with) involves clicking on still images and then watching a small video that takes the player to another scene. Typical stuff really. My question is, and I've been messing around with it, but no luck so far. Is what format does my video need to be in? I'm using RealPlayer stuff, but it's not working. I see the word 'Flash' tossed around a lot, I converted my stuff to flash, but it's still not working. Any help would be great.

Thanks!
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:39 am

No worries about your questions, we have all started out some day ;)

Adventure Maker supports AVI, MPG, WMV.
WMV has shown a bit problematic sometimes, in my experience AVI files are best.
If you compress them (e.g. with XVid), you need to make sure that your players have the necessary codecs installed on their machines :)

For Flash, you need the Flash Plugin that is included in the download already. It's an advanced feature that is available in the full version of Adventure Maker only, but you should be able to evaluate all advanced features in projects under 20 frames.

What exactly didn't work for you with the videos? Did you get an error message?
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:52 am

I didn't get an error. They just refused to play. The cursor vanished and after a while it reappeared.
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am

Okay, you made a hotspot. When this hotspot is clicked, the video should play, right?
But your video plays "blank" as I understand.
Hmmm, how big are those video files? Could you send me a small one by email attachment to check, or find another way to share it with me?
Otherwise it's really difficult to decide where the problem is - in the file or at your end.
Mystery

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:59 am

Sure. I was just practicing so the vid is rather short. It's just me adjusting my glasses. I'll send it right over.

Thanks!
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:06 am

Okay, I get an automation error if I try it in Adventure Maker, but I can play it in Windows Media Player.
It's a wmv file, and as I mentioned previously, they can sometimes be difficult with Adventure Maker, this is why I prefer .avi files.

I'm going to do some testing with your file, and let you know if I find anything helpful :)

Also I remember that I had discussions concerning WMV files with somebody, I'm going to look for that, because I don't remember the details anymore.
Mystery

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 am

Another edit. I got it to work. It works perfectly now.

Thanks! When you said AVI you got me thinking. And now I fixed my problem. Looks like a professional (that's a stretch) with a bad camera finally pulled this off. Thanks!
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:20 am

Did you convert it to .avi? Or how did you fix it?
Mystery

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:21 am

Mystery wrote:Did you convert it to .avi? Or how did you fix it?

I converted it to AVI. That was the ticket. As soon as I did that it started working perfectly.
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:25 am

Great :D
I would really recommend you to use .avi files :)
I know that sometimes they tend to have a big file size, but with compressing and using codecs they can be reduced a lot if necessary :)

You might also find some interesting information about video creation here: http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8
Mystery

Postby PenMasterRule » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks a lot. I have a few ideas for the type of game I want to make. I'm going to get a digital camera at some point and really do some practicing with it and this program before I hire any actors. What I want to do is make a point and click game using real life people and actors + real life places. I thought that would be pretty cool.
PenMasterRule

Postby Mystery » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:11 pm

A very ambitious plan :)
Mystery

Postby 3dgamer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:16 am

PenMasterRule wrote:Thanks a lot. I have a few ideas for the type of game I want to make. I'm going to get a digital camera at some point and really do some practicing with it and this program before I hire any actors. What I want to do is make a point and click game using real life people and actors + real life places. I thought that would be pretty cool.

Say, PenMasterRule, before you commit to real actors, you may want to check out a free movie making system called Moviestorm. I just read about it in another post from "bg38" - http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5077. It seems to be a nice way of not only creating your own scenes with animated actors but also a cool tool for sketching out scenes with live actors before you commit the time (and sometimes, money). It's at least worth a looking at (but you also may want to read the fine print in their Privacy Policy, first. There are some interesting conditions they mention there...)

Well, have fun.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion