Question

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Question

Postby Cara21 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 am

Hi,
I got the adventure maker a while ago and have been working with it to get to know how it works. There are some things that I'm lost on. Like Variables mostly. Anyway, I just want to know if there any Tutorials for the Free Edition of AM. I have look a bit for Tutorials, but most of them look like there for the full Edition only. I know of the the ones in the help part of AM. I just what to know if there more then just them.

I'm just trying to get as must info as I can as I'm working on art work for my game I'm makeing. And I'm was sad when I can't add items in the inventory just before the game starts. Anyway info you give me wold be great.
Cara21

Postby Mystery » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm

You might check out my tutorial for beginners here:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3400

If you understand how to use variables, you can already create rather complex games even with the free version of AM. I remember that bmatt created great games with the free version (Hidden Jewels, Freeze), and one of them even made the 2nd place in our AM Game Contest. :)

To add items at the beginning of the game, why don't you create a start frame, and when the players clicks the "Continue" or "Start" button, the items are added? This would be a workaround for this problem with the free version :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Cara21 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Hey, thanks for tutorial, Mystery. I been looking for that one for a while.

Thank you for the input on that. I'm going to try that with my test game. Hey, I need to know do I need to download the BETA of the new version of AM to have it work in Windows 7? Cos, some people I know have Windows 7 and I don't want them to have issues while playing my games.
Cara21

Postby Mystery » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 pm

You're welcome :)

Unfortunately the latest beta version is not fully compatible yet with Windows 7, music and videos are not working properly on Windows 7.
Mystery

Postby storymakerpro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 am

so compile exe for Windows 7 is compatible but AM 4.6.0 installed in Windows 7 is not compatible, am I correct?
storymakerpro

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 am

No, unfortunately not.

If you check this area of the forums:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=31
you'll see that there are sound and video issues with games in Windows 7.
Mystery

Postby juhuwoorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm

AM 4.6.0 run fine on my WIN7.

Be sure you install and run it as admininistrator
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby storymakerpro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Hmm.... interesting. I know Windows 7 better than all others especially Vista. Vista is bad. I never have any problem with Windows 7 at work. It seems Windows 7 going fine. I will buy myself PC with Windows 7 Home Edition. I will try AM 4.6.0 in that when I get it.
storymakerpro

Postby reneuend » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:32 pm

There are many features that do not work in Win7: Plugins, Sound Volume, Cubic Panaroma, ....the list goes on....

Someone should build a list!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby storymakerpro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:45 pm

I like plugins but cannot always make them to work if not possible. However, I have tricks. I do light effects on picture instead of light effect in OCX, well, not likely on mouse cursor. I have to accept whatever possible or not, or whatever change that I need to accept.

I like more simple, basic and less features myself. Panorama is too hard for me and I get overwhelm with my project work and thinking. So I won't need that, instead, I use it classic ways and make it easy and simple. Plugins, to me, is more out of my focus and mindly stress.

Audio volume cannot be adjusted but I have the way to adjust it like I said: Audacity to normalize volume and export to WAV. Voila! There is working.
storymakerpro

Postby juhuwoorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 pm

The most important plugins are working with WIN7:
Keyguard,hotspotmagic, Particle+
and all plugins you find in pluginpack from Lybero!

The only issues are with plugins that based on Mediaplayer.
The flashplayer plugin works also with WIN7.
So you can make a workaround for your sounds.
Ok if you have started a project with the old version, its a mess to upgrade it to WIN7. But if you are at the beginning of a new project, its worth to go different ways as you did before.

WIN7 is on the way up!
I'm working also, as the most of you, on a new game. when its finished, I'll not miss any player of course of its OS!

Just my 2 cents

greetings juhu
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Re: Question

Postby JasonMc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Cara21 wrote:And I'm was sad when I can't add items in the inventory just before the game starts.

Actually, I think you may be able to do something similar.

Open the first frame of your game. This would be the first frame your player will see after starting a new game.

Click on "Manage Inventory Items...", and then create the items you want added at the beginning of the game.

Go to "Frame Properties..." and the "Advanced" tab. Select the check box, and then enter this for each item you want to add.

Code: Select all
Action.AddItem "ITEM_NAME", True

Be sure to replace "ITEM_NAME" with the name of the item you want added.

Repeat this same code on a new line for each item you want added.

The above code will add the item, however, the inventory won't pop up automatically. If you want the inventory to pop up automatically, just remove the ",True" from the code.

Hope that helps you in some ways. Definitely read through the help file (especially the VBScript Language Reference). Lots of cool stuff.
-Jason McDonald
Manager, Programmer
MousePaw Games

--
PocketWatch 1.0 Plugin now available in the Plugins Corner!
JasonMc

Postby Cara21 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Hey, JasonMc
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Ok, if I don't have sound or a movie to my game. Will it run on WIN7 just fine then?
Cara21

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion