Is it possible to........

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Is it possible to........

Postby drdna » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been using AM for many years and love it. My primary usage is to create interactive games for special events I attend several times a year for hundreds of people. Concider me a live games camp of sorts. Now I want to step up my games but don't know if it's possible to do what I want to do.

What I want to do is have two people play off of each other with two different computers. Let me explain....

I want to have the computers facing each other. Each player will select a "challenge" choice from a list and send it to the other player. It will pop-up on the other players screen. They will then have a time limit to complete it. First one that does wins. I have written this for one computer but is it possible to send the selection to another computer? Basically I need to know if I can create a network version, where I can have two computers access the same game.

Thanks in avance.

Craig
drdna

Re: Is it possible to........

Postby reneuend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 am

How would the computers be communicating? internet? server? shared directory?
The easiest way would be local network with a shared directory. Then it would just be a matter of reading a file between them.
Other ways are possible but would require building a plugin and knowledge of networking.

What do you think? I thought of trying this myself.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby drdna » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 am

After I posted this, I thought about the same thing. It would just be the two computers on their own homegroup ( possibly with static ip's ) and a hub/switch. Would sending a .ini ( writeINI ) file to a shared directory and reading it into the other computer ( ReadINI ) with an update button work? The idea is select a button with some text, it writes to a .ini file in a shared diectory, then the other player clicks an update button and it reads the file and places the text in a pre determined window or something.

Maybe I'll try that.
drdna

Postby reneuend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 pm

yep. I think that would be the easiest way.

I started working on a plugin for updating a file on the internet. To do this, the ftp location would have to be encrypted in the code. I also thought of just having an area on my domain where any AM developer could use it for this type of thing. I did some tests and with command line commands, it's possible, but I didn't get any further with it then that.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:38 pm

You can use a dropbox directory to do this automatically without any effort, but it's the worst way safety-wise.
The best way would be to create a .ocx using VB6, which would send and receive data through Sockets. To do so you would have to create a network protocol and infrastructure, meaning you 'd have to decide between using a Server-Client and a Client-Server-Client network

The first network model would require one of the clients to become the host, therefore having the player forward network ports from their router.
The second one would require writing a server of your own, which should be online at all times, or writing a set of scripts for an http server, therefore having access to a web host with enabled scripts would be necessary.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion