Myst Game Jam? AM users rejoin!

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Myst Game Jam? AM users rejoin!

Postby Simon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi everyone! (yeah, I'm back ^^)
I really, really hope that you're all going well. I want to apologize for not coming here more often, because Adventure Maker and the community miss me a lot. It's not the same with Visionaire Studio. Of course I can make more impressive games now, but everything's different.

Anyway I wanted to tell you that I have just discovered a Game Jam about MYST in January 2016:
http://itch.io/jam/myst-jam

I am personally very interested to get involved. And you know what? I will use Adventure Maker!!
I'm totally rusty with VSBasic and everything related to AM (I didn't use it for 2 years now, and my head is full of Visionaire things, erg!), but I am very motivated to use again AM for such a project.

Participants will have 1 week to create a Myst-like, starting January 9th! Game submission January 18th.
You can use the tools you want and create the games you want. It will most likely be followed by the press, because I found the announcement of the Jam in a famous French magazine. SO it's an oppurtunity for us AM users to shine in public ;)

Are you with me? :mrgreen:

I have chosen to use AM because it's easy to use and reliable, and I know I will work much faster with it than with VS. It's a good point! Of course we will face very good game developers who work with Unity and other incredible engines, but who cares? It's just for the fun.
I wish I won't be the only AM user to participate, and that we can encourage each other during this event. Cheers!
Simon
Expert Member

Re: Myst Game Jam? AM users rejoin!

Postby reneuend » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:35 am

Welcome back, Simon! :)

I must admit, I know very little about Myst. I was a big fan of games like Space Quest back in the day.
I'm very interested in this Game Jam. Personally, I would be better at supporting other AM developers with coding. I still have 2 games I'm still working on. If you are trying something you aren't sure is possible in AM, let's talk! :mrgreen:

We should post this challenge on AM's FB page.

I'm going to go look and see what's up.
[Update] Are you saying you have just 1 week to build a game? OUCH!!!
I'll have to study Myst and come up with a design before January 8th.
Last edited by reneuend on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:24 am

Hi reneuend!
Welcome back, Simon!
Thanks! ^^ I feel at home here, even after such a long time.

I must admit, I know very little about Myst. I was a big fan of games like Space Quest back in the day.

I think you don't need to know Myst that much. They say "Myst" but they probably mean "Myst-like", that is to say, more simply: First Person Adventure (= you see through the eyes of the hero).
ASA is a First Person Adventure (FPA) and you know this game already, so you could say that the challenge is to make a (short) ASA game in 1 week.
Well, in my case I will just try to do a FPA, not necessarily a Myst-like.

Are you saying you have just 1 week to build a game? OUCH!!!

It says "1 week", but there is this rule:
Don't submit existing games unless you finished them for the jam
The way I understand it, you can submit a game that already exists (that is to say, that you started making before the Jam). You only have to fiish it during the January period.
So in my opinion you can probably start working on it now (if you have some time) and give your "final" game later. What do you think?

Yes of course you can add it on Facebook, it's a good idea!

If you are trying something you aren't sure is possible in AM, let's talk!

Is it possible to do an "online" team work with AM? I don't remember if there's an option for distant work (to import/export the work of the others). For example, if I was working on the graphics only, would it be possible that you and Deki work on the development in AM in parallell? I mean: wouldn't it be complicated if there were 2 people programming at distance on the same AM file, with a risk to mess things up?
And if it is possible, are you interested to build a team with me for the Jam? Honestly I have already asked Deki in private yesterday, because he is a Icehouse Friend, but I would be glad if you and Deki could team up and help me. Yet I have not receive any reply from Deki but let's see what he says?
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 am

Wow! Nice, nice and nice! :D

I would love to be part of this! I am going thru some difficulties at work and I don't know the right schedule for January for a company that we work for. We are doing them everything for their seminars in December and January, so I still cannot finally say yes, but I am already getting excited about the idea of working with you guys on a game.

So as I understood, the game can be started before the jam, but be finished during the jam, right?
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:42 am

That's correct V66!
I hope everything goes well at work. Hang in there!!!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok guys, I leave this thread to create a new one for my project, here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6828&p=39182#p39182

Of course if other people want to make their own Myst Jam they can discuss here.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm in.
Simon. It would only be natural for you to lead this project.
I'm ready to get started!
I guess since we will be working independently, we'll need to pull an updated project file from time to time to merge with our own changes.
This is going to be a very quick project....should be interesting! :shock:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Is it possible to do an "online" team work with AM? I don't remember if there's an option for distant work (to import/export the work of the others). For example, if I was working on the graphics only, would it be possible that you and Deki work on the development in AM in parallell? I mean: wouldn't it be complicated if there were 2 people programming at distance on the same AM file, with a risk to mess things up?
And if it is possible, are you interested to build a team with me for the Jam? Honestly I have already asked Deki in private yesterday, because he is a Icehouse Friend, but I would be glad if you and Deki could team up and help me. Yet I have not receive any reply from Deki but let's see what he says?

No. There isn't a simple way to do teamwork with AM, but I know we can still pull it off.
If I do any additions (programming), I would pull the latest project copy from an online location, add the changes, and put it back and update the filename with a new version number.

projectname_001.zip
projectname_002.zip

If anyone has a server they want to use that's fine, or I can set yall up with access to hickchickgames and create a project folder we can work from.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:11 pm

It would be great to have a kind of FTP on hickchickgames, indeed!
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 am

We can all use Cloud or we can use my server too. Let me know how would you feel safer cloud storage or private servers? :-)

Let me read thru the PMs, I got kinda lost... but excited for the project :D
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi guys!
WOW! This is really impressive... I have no words to say how happy I am seeing that the community is more alive than ever!
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:24 am

I have a couple games that I should be releasing soon. As you all know, it is very hard to juggle working on these projects along with everything else.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby igelkott » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:09 am

And my first game will be finished soon))
igelkott

Postby reneuend » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 am

Awesome, Igelkott! :mrgreen:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion