VB6 lifetime

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

VB6 lifetime

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 am

According to this article:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj133828.aspx

VB6 apps will work for the next 4 years. That means Adventure Maker, (in order to live longer than that), will need to be converted to VB.NET using Visual Studio 2008, the last version of Visual Studio which supported importing VB6 projects, which is no longer available from Microsoft. I think I might still have a copy of Visual Studio 2008 on one of my machines, and it can also be obtained on ebay or Amazon, so there's still hope for the future of the software.

Just thought to give everyone the heads up.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: VB6 lifetime

Postby reneuend » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm

The problem is GM doesn't seem interested in converting AM or going open-source. I frequently get emails from people wanting to buy AM, but can't contact GM. This says a lot to me.
I figure I have 4 years to get my AM projects finished. But, I remain hopeful GM does something with AM so it doesn't die.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 pm

I think if I'm interpreting this situation correctly, VB6 will still live on indefinitely, the only difference it will make when Microsoft stops shipping the related runtime with Windows, is that VB6 software creators will then need to distribute the runtime with their apps and controls, like what we already have to do with VB5-created content. So, if my impression is correct, we should be fine for the foreseeable future. :mrgreen:
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Allegro » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 pm

time-killer-games wrote:VB6 software creators will then need to distribute the runtime with their apps and controls.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how is that done exactly? I found the library in question (I think?) here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime

Is this what has to be distributed together with the AM Games?

Are all games created with AM dependent on VB6 by default?
Allegro

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 am

Allegro wrote:
time-killer-games wrote:VB6 software creators will then need to distribute the runtime with their apps and controls.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how is that done exactly? I found the library in question (I think?) here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime

Is this what has to be distributed together with the AM Games?

Are all games created with AM dependent on VB6 by default?

It's ok. Yes, AM games are dependent on the VB6 runtime because the AM IDE and runner are both made in VB6.

No, not that one from sourceforge. This is the runtime you will need:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... time-files

You basically just download and install it for development. Then tell the people who want to install your game they will need to install the runtime as well, before installing your game. You can either distibute the runtime installer itself, or link to it in a readme.txt or *.url shortcut. However you want to do it.

Right now this isn't necessary though, because all the files it installs still come with the latest version of Windows, and it'll be that way for about 4 years.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Allegro » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:34 am

Thank you, Time Killer!
Allegro

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 am

You're welcome! :)
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion