Have a look at my game sample and please reply to my questio

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for iPhone and iPod touch.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Have a look at my game sample and please reply to my questio

Postby wickedsunny » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi Friends.

I have created a small 2 frame game. This is how I plan to use AM.

Now please download this game from rapidshare and play to understand yourself my questions and then reply.

http://rapidshare.com/files/146160777/A ... K.zip.html

1) Is there a way to stop the 1/2 second flicker of screen, when the frame changes after clicking?

2) Is there a way to import gif animation as the background itself?

Currently I have imported it inside a hotspot selection for both frames.

or is there a way to create a hotspot on top of another hotspot, because as of now I can just click anywhere on the pic and the next frame animation is starting. I want only a particular spot to be clicked for doing an action. But now, the whole bg is a hotspot hence I am getting restricted.

3) Is there a way to make a gif animation stop looping when imported while another gif animation to retain its looping?

What you guys think of something like this? Won't it just change the way AM is being used now or maybe in future versions?

The graphic is not mine, but I have animated it in photoshop and image ready. This is just a test.

My game would be mainly for iphones rather than windows, so please keep that in mind.
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 am

Hi wickedsunny,

1. The flickering could be the result of the big animated hotspot used, but I'm not sure.

2. Currently a gif animation as background is not supported I'm afraid.

Yes, it is possible to add a hotspot onto another :)
Try if adding a small hotspot (to trigger the change to the other frame) would make any change for the flickering problem.

3. I think you need to prepare the gif animation before you import it into AM: either as looping or as non-looping animation.

Looks like a very interesting usage of AM. Basically all games that can be created with AM are fine :) It's just a question what can be realized with AM, and what is difficult to create at the time being with the available features. AM was developed for "classic" point and click games I guess, but it can be also used for certain types of puzzle games, and Lyberodoggy has just created a shooting game. As I see you are trying to create a platform-type game. I cannot judge how suitable AM is for such types of games (especially for an iPhone game for which AM has limited features as of yet), as I don't have any personal experience with the creation of such types of games.

Btw, I'm also curious what other members think :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:27 am

Mystery How to add another hotspot to an already created hotspot?

That will solve half of my problem.

Yes I understand not many have tried this, but for iphone this is the idea which came in my head, simply because everything in iphone works with a click or a touch.
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:38 am

You need to create ("draw") it next to the hotspot that you already have (so basically resizing your current hotpot would be necessary since it takes up the whole screen). Then drag the new hotspot on top of the first one, and resize your big hotspot again :)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 am

Hi there...:)

1) Is there a way to stop the 1/2 second flicker of screen, when the frame changes after clicking?

Are you using a transition..? to go to the next frame..This normally happens if you use an animation with transition...
mercedes
VIP

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:15 am

No Mercedes I am sure I have not used any transition.

I was planning now to use the alpha one to see how this looks like.

Thanks mystery for the hotspot trick :)
wickedsunny

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 am

No Mystery that hotspot trick is not working.

Any new hotspot I create gets hidden by the bigger animated hotspot.

It does not matter which hotspot I create first, only the smaller one gets hidden behind for some reason. When I click nothing happens
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:41 am

Hmmm, maybe because the big hotspot is an animated one?
I did already use hotspots on top of each other, and it worked - but I haven't used a hotspot on animated gif.
Needs checking and testing, but for now I'm off to bed.
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:20 am

Try rightclicking the hotspot and Hit Send to Top..or Send to bottom..which ever one u are working with and wish to show..you send to Top..:)
As an animated gif though..not sure if the option is there but it should be for a regular hotspot.

Hopefully that works for you..
Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:38 am

Already tried that, not helpfull.

I have found another option, I sliced my gif animation into two seperate pieces, the character part I import as animated while where I have to click that (75% of image) part I import as normal gif. I just have to place them properly together like a puzzle

Problem solved. :)

But the biggest problem is flickering of the screen, especially when I click. Later flicker is due to change of frame set by timer (that will be removed).

But why is clicking causing this flick?

Can this be sorted out with VB in full edition?
wickedsunny

Postby mercedes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 am

It must be the animation itself..I've just tried two of them..and I don't see a flicker..however i have used no timer or transition]..Try taking the timer/transition out of there and see if u still have the flicker..have u tried this..? Just curious cause you said "will be removed"..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:34 pm

To make the background an animated gif, load one in a hotspot that is as big as the frame itself
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Mercedes

I removed the timer still giving me this flickering problem, only when I click.

lyberodoggy, that is exactly how I created this game. :)
wickedsunny

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Ok, haven't downloaded it yet because I 'm on my bro 's laptop
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Have you by chance tried other animations..? and, Try that one, as well as another one..in the Windows Platform as well..See what happens..

I want only a particular spot to be clicked for doing an action.

Also, in answer to your earlier post, you can use a variable if you wish to "hide" the hotspot...temporarily. Have it show after doing and action..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 pm

Wickedsunny, I'll have some time over the weekend to test out things (during workdays it's just not possible) :)
I'll post if I figure out something that might help you :)
Mystery

Postby wickedsunny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 pm

mercedes wrote:Have you by chance tried other animations..? and, Try that one, as well as another one..in the Windows Platform as well..See what happens..

I want only a particular spot to be clicked for doing an action.

Also, in answer to your earlier post, you can use a variable if you wish to "hide" the hotspot...temporarily. Have it show after doing and action..

Mercedes I have got the click spot sorted out and the game is for windows platform only because in iphone setup there is no option to see the animation.

Now can anyone tell me, when the animation of 2nd frames finishes how exactly should I take it to the third frame, so that there it stands as if idle, just like in the first frame ( but different co-ordinates).

Timer wont help, if fps slows down, it will change frame faster or slower than the animation, which will cut it short.

Using variables?

Thank you mystery, please have a look at the flickering problem whenever you get time.

If this problem is solved, a new gate for AM will open even with its limited version.
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Wickedsunny, would it be possible for you to share your project folder of your game in AM with me in order to do some testing over the weekend?
Of course I won't use your project for anything else than testing purposes.
If so, please zip up your AM project folder, upload it somewhere, and PM me the link to download it, that would be helpful for me :)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:35 am

Just so I understand you...you are wanting to go to another frame, and have an animation in the other frame..but have it be still..?..as opposed to animated..If so..you can put it in there and don't check off "is an animated .gif" Or use a variable to hide or show it...if that is what you are after..:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby wickedsunny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:14 am

the frame 2 is a gif animation and that is continuously looping, when the character jumps, it needs to land on the ledge and stop, (which runs the idle standing animation of frame 1)

so in frame 3 there is also an animation similar to frame 1

my problem is i have to go from frame 2 to frame 3 without clicking and the very instant the animation in frame 2 stops ( before it can repeat again)

that is why i also wanted to know above, is there a way to stop the gif animation loop?
wickedsunny

Postby mercedes » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:30 am

Oh ok...I'm afraid to "automatically" go to the next frame without clicking can't be done without full Edition and can only be done in Windows Platform..:( At least i don't think so..you would need vbs script..

As for your animation..

3. I think you need to prepare the gif animation before you import it into AM: either as looping or as non-looping animation.

Thats what Mystery meant..here..:) You can only choose to not loop it in whatever program you created the GIF in..so before you save it..there should be an option that says..100/ ...and "Loop forever" The option in Gimp happens just before the last OK..i hit to save it forever..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby wickedsunny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 am

Oh I missed that line

If looping can be stopped, then maybe I will not need to take it to another frame

Thanks
wickedsunny

Postby mercedes » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:42 am

No problem...:)
mercedes
VIP

Return to Creating Software for iPhone and iPod Touch