Feature request - iPad support possible in the future?

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for iPhone and iPod touch.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Feature request - iPad support possible in the future?

Postby Gumbro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Just the support for the iPad resolution, that's all!

Of course I already tried exporting a project as html (I know the feature is experimental), but it did not work too well. I had resized the hotspot images, and they came out un-resized and at incorrect locations on the iPad screen. Now, I could resize hotspot images before importing them, but it's a bit of a pain, because I usually cannot know beforehand which size they have to be.

AM supports iPhone & iPod already, so how about iPad?

I can volunteer to test this feature (I'm going to make a game for my wife which can be played on iPad :D )
Gumbro

Postby reneuend » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:20 am

iPad runs windows doesn't it? It should work just fine, but please report back and let us know!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Gumbro » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:31 pm

iPad runs iOS. Standalone apps for iOS cannot be developed with AM.

I'm asking for export html feature optimized for iPad browser resolution, just like the thing works for iPhone and iPod now.
Gumbro

Support for iPad

Postby Eowyn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:11 pm

After procrastinating for two years, I finally caved in and acquired an iPad. What makes the iPad such a sexy item is the apps. Not only games, but a cosmos of exciting and useful tools to kill time when I'm on the train to and from work.

Naturally, I'm eager to try and deploy games I have made in AM to my new toy. Sadly, AM makes no apparent provision for the iPad, even though it does apparently make provision for the iPhone. :cry: And what about Android?

The attraction of AM is that it has a relatively gentle learning curve compared to other game engines. It is limited in its capacity, so I've been looking around at other engines, many of which have the ability to output to iPad. But every other engine I've looked at demands that I learn at least one new computer language, and the engines themselves have a pretty steep learning curve. We're talking C++, Python, Torquescript and other OO languages. Its a daunting prospect.

A few people have pointed to third party tools which they say can convert AM into a format readable by iPad, but these seem to require you to have an Apple desktop or laptop, which I don't want to invest in, I'd rather buy a new Windows 8 desktop.

When the Surface Pro is released at the end of the year it sounds like it will be a fantastic compromise between the iPad and Windows 8, and should run AM. But for the time being, unless you're into high performance shooters or RPGs, the iPad is the future of gaming. It's long overdue for AM to have the ability to make iPad games without using plugins or third party tools.

I've noticed that the AM forums are a lot less active than they were a few years back. Perhaps the reason is that AM has not continued to develop along with developments in gaming and changes in the device market. Food for thought.

:?
Eowyn

Re: Feature request - iPad support possible in the future?

Postby Gumbro » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 am

Try the html export. The html export can be set for iPad resolution, but if you resize a hotspot image while developing the game, the hotspot moves on the screen when the game is played. To avoid this, make sure all your hotspot images are in the same size as you plan to use them.
Gumbro

Return to Creating Software for iPhone and iPod Touch