Drain Your Brain !?!

This is the place to show your story ideas for games etc, Double Post allowed here.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby Thinkingaboutthings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:17 pm

Not bad. Not bad at all. :)
Thinkingaboutthings

Postby MRM2811 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:35 am

I have often found that sometimes the greatest stories are ones when all seems hopeless, and when the hero dies.

Every now and then, evil wins the battle.

Unknown Title for this one.. Never could come up with one.

" Years of research into occult studies and mythology have left you in belief that no such thing as "evil" truly exists. Now as the leading foremost expert you have been asked to help consult on a ritualistic mass suicide, or so it appears.

Unknown text from eons ago is scrawled upon the walls reaching approximately 30 feet high, Patterns of strange symbols decorate the floor made with the finger bones of the people that died and all from the left hand. With a total number of 141 people deceased all from self in inflicted injuries as well as repeated blunt force trauma from multiple assailants, nothing is making any sense not to mention most of the people probably didn't know each other. Along with the unique location of this event you
find yourself intrigued.. You now start your analysis of the first of many crimes scenes...Grand Central Station "

Already thinking about some of the classic writers such as H.P Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe and the more recent works of Clive Barker give me enough to get imagination running wild with ancient prophecies of the end of the world being bathed in the rivers of blood. Age old gods from before the inception of religion and even before man could use fire and speak... Old ancient forces of darkness.

Hmm.. What could you do with a story line like I wonder?
Just PM me three things, a location, a time period and a item.

I will send you back a story line.
MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 am

You have a great imagination! That story line would definitely make an interesting game.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks Reneuend,

Ah the temporal mechanics of time travel,
Many a great story has been ruined by overlooking the basic physics of time travel.

" For every disaster that has happened, lives are lost. Who are those lost .. What would they have achieved if they had lived, discoveries to benefit mankind or dangers to destroy us all..

Let us change the path of the lost lives and create a better world, a world where we can remove the pain of loss before it has even begun..
As a member of the Temporal Auditors it is your duty to track and advert major disasters before they begin, save the lives of the people that can change our world for the better, commit the ones that would destroy it to death.

12 members are sent back with personal temporal devices allowing them to jump throw time to start the great works, with good results, saving people from the fate of death you now track the lives they lead in order to judge if they were worth saving..
But something has gone wrong, your world has changed and the fanatical point of view shared by your peers almost seems to invoke paranoia.
You soon realize the perils of altering the past as now you live without a future you recognize as an original to a copy of yourself had your life be different, Protected by the temporal device from the effects creating alternate realities you try to unravel what you have done.
Now that the world has changed it has become more difficult to track events and you must make multiple jumps back in time to stop the chaos of destruction before it begins..

Suddenly you find yourself the suspect of a disaster that kills thousands of people, Why? Only time will tell. Hunted by your own members and accused of murdering not only thousand of people but also the early descendants of those responsible for creating the Temporal Auditing system..

Time is not on your side"

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby MRM2811 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Have you ever watched a movie and found that a simple element sends you imagination soaring in different directions.

While I am sitting here watching "The Bone Collector", I suddenly was smacked in the face with something so simple I could hardly believe I never thought of it before.

Always I have written stories about characters going some where, travelling abroad, underwater, outer space and beyond imagination. Never had I considered the fact the protagonist may not be able to move from a disability or injury add to the mix the you as the protagonist have just found your self kidnapped in your own home, and held for ransom.

Add to this the element of a safe room / panic room in which you are confined either by methods of security, eg:
"You realize the in house security alarm has been triggered, checking you monitors you observe several men entering into your home. Pushing the panic button on your console, 2 ft steel security walls raise from the floor enclosing you safely to your bed from which you cant move. with all your electrical equipment now powered by the battery cells, you know you have but only a few hours before your medical equipment starts to fail."

With the sophistication that technology has to offer, it would interesting to plan multiple scenario's from how to communicate with law enforcement, how to keep watch on your kidnappers and the surroundings of interior and exterior of your home. A limited supply of robotic drones to help you interact with items could also make for some interesting puzzle work.

Amazing isn't it how a simple idea can create a whole new concept...

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 am

You have a knack for writing stories. I'd sure like to see one of them published as an adventure game! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 am

~ Turns red ~

One day...

~ shakes his fist angrily at the heavens as though cursing some unseen entity that holds dominion over game developers ~

One day, all shall bow before my mighty ...ergh ..hmm
Sorry got carried away again.

I should stop giving away all these idea to everyone reneuend, But what would be the fun in that. Plus if I was to make everyone of these stories into a game, I would have no time left to post stories here...

I would like to know if anyone has picked up any of these ideas and started to run with them...

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 am

Well, "Breath" has picked up steam this year.

Personally, I have a couple of my own projects that I haven't finished yet, so I haven't started looking at other possible story lines yet. But, the one's you present does give one pause!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

Glad to hear the Breath team doing well, Good luck.
It would also be interesting to hear how others may change some of these story lines by change changing different elements. Don't be afraid to say "Hey thats cool, but if it was a so and so in a thing a me jig".

I love bouncing ideas around and reading feedback from others about suggested story lines, one of the main reasons I started this thread (under my old account of McWise).

Anyways back to brain draining...

Radio waves, the communication of the airwaves...
White noise has always been a funny thing to me, random static pops and hiss that seem to speak a language of its own.. Especially for those who know how to listen.

World wide million of people hear a disturbing sequence of white noise transmissions. Intervals of the transmission seem to timed to be a random coincidence, mathematicians and audio interpreters set to work at trying to discover the origin and meaning, but to no end. Its seems only a certain percentage of the inhabitants of the planet can hear the true message... A percentage that are completely deaf. With world leaders declaring a state of emergency for all countries the hearing impaired are rounded up to inform everyone of the message. They refuse... stating that its not time and that they have been warned not to reveal its meaning until the time is right. As a government assigned investigator you are appointed the task of working with a group of deaf people located in a small rural town. Can you find answers...

Will you discover the meaning of the transmission...

With this type of intro to a story line you almost lead it anywhere you want, thats the fun part. Could it be aliens, could it be some one playing a hoax, could it be supernatural in origin, or is it a cult, possibly a different form of consciousness all together...

Listen...
Wait...
End Transmission.

(Edit)

Just as a foot note this could be classed as a educational game if you were to include sign language as part of the game experience in order to communicate with the hearing impaired. Not sure how it could be done though ...

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby MRM2811 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Sitting in my room looking out to the night sky while listening to O Fortuna I am reminded of the classic albeit impossible story line that I have never been able to write...

The Epic.
In most cases epics deal with multiple stories to create one long plot line usually with revelations that even the master writers never see coming, tales of grand and impossible events the shift and change the world on a grand scale, effecting everyone... everywhere.

In recent times I have noticed several writer attempt this great feat, stories of the end of world are common place with this particular brand of story telling. Post apocalyptic survival and struggle in a new world is a often overlooked nowadays. Great epics that spring to mind are Dune, Wheel of time and the collected works of David and Leigh Eddings (I forget the names of the books) and lets not forget the Lord of the Rings.

Fantastical more so than a reality based epic, But fantasy is needed in such a story line, or is it. Great wars are a basis for these tales, though possibly and earth shattering event need not be war, natural disaster springs to mind.

I once attempted this style of penmanship myself, only to end up having multiple sleepless nights plotting, planning, conceiving and even dreaming parts of a story line I alone could never complete...

"Governance Over Dominion - G.O.D"

In the every parts of the 21st century mankind sought science over spiritual beliefs and in being consumed by his ignorance he planted the seeds of his own destruction. A eon of living in sin, not only within himself but with his surroundings, man turn his domain to dust. The wars that followed became known as the Depravity Age, man turned on each other to control resources of all kind. Food, water and medical supplies became the new currency, alcohol and tobacco became elicit drugs of the black market trade, a trade now more prosperous than ever before.
Governments were collapsing, yet one powerful group known only as "The Society of Man" remained hidden, secretly trying to find a way to undo all that was done. It was man amongst them suggested an extreme alternative, a plan to which they would not live to see a result and ask for one thing in return... Total control and dominion over mankind.

The work started straight away with people of all creeds being rounded up like cattle, blood and DNA analysis were taken from the imprisoned. All survivors of the Depravity Age were to be terminated, No one but the society was to be left. Tirelessly the society changed the world and man became an endangered species. The research continue with devout and fanatical under current, if man was to return to the world than laws would have to be... adhered to... by any means. Only one apparent truth would continue the watch over mankind... Divinity.

With the bible being the blueprint for law, scientist broke the mandate to which they would hope to save the race by, creating a species of intelligent obedient clones to continue the work they dubbed as "Angels" and a military slave force dubbed "Demons", both augmented specifically to resemble the likeness of classic artwork. But what of god, in the final years of the "Cleansing Age" the society was all but deceased of old age, now the task of finalizing the program of AI that was G.O.D (Governance Over Dominion) was left to the angles.

Decades pass and the first of mans restructured clone DNA from the depravity wars now ready for constructing life again...
Under the teaching of GOD and the bible man is governed through the Angels and the GOD program, implants are used to monitor behavior and thought through daily uplinks during prayer. "Act in accordance to GOD and you will be protected by Angels of the Lord, Sin and you will be punished via my wrath and holy retribution." These word became the motto to live or die by, repeat offender to sin were taken from the sanctuary of man (a fully established city of light and purity controlled by the god program and built before the reinvention of man by the demons) and throw into ~~didn't mean to swear~~, a prison guarded by the ruthless Demons.

Man has surrendered itself to the will of god, not knowing the teaching of the past or his own history. Now and then those emerge with.. visions.. of a time with out GOD and a resistance is born. Seeing the changes from the past of mankind reemerge the GOD program starts upon its true goal and agenda, creation of a the perfect specimen of man and woman...
Adam and Eve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see with this story line it is something of a large feat to try and finish or even work on alone. Originally I had planned three books for this, unfortunately never completed to due the lack of continuity of the story as it passed over a long time period spanning from the Depravity Age through the Cleansing Age and into the New Birth Age. Still maybe it can provide you with a few good ideas.

:)

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby MRM2811 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:05 am

More often than notI will go back to reinvent a story line that has stumped me or even revisit it for some inspiration.

It is easy to get your self tied up and confused very quickly.. Many of my storylines end up doing that to me. * Turns Red * :oops:

Still viewing something fresh eyes and a clear mind helps create the world you imagine.

Thought Control:
What if the world you lived was "your world" shaped by your very mind.
For one man that is exactly what his life is, an experimental medical device that allows coma patients to find a way to return to the real world unfortunately there are those that now don't want to return, they want to stay in there dream world that they control...
Or do they...
Slow but sure people start to die after they have been hooked up to the new dream machine, why are they dieing who is killing them and why do people not want to leave...

This story line is very adaptable as you can twist it very easily to your liking... a murderous patient or even a glitch in the system... maybe a doctor that dosent believe in the system and its power to help people...ah so much fun.

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 am

Or even the machines, being close to so many brains could develop a big ai structure of their own, converting the comma patients into cloud computing machines..
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:20 am

* Laughs * :lol:

Lyberodoggy you are too good at this game ...

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 am

:lol: thanks
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:58 am

Okay,
lets play a little game...

I will give you a time period, a location, an object and a genre...
lets see what some of you can think up.

1858, USA, Engagement Ring. Mythical Comedy...?

Anyone...

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun May 23, 2010 12:53 pm

there's a lot of things that happened in the states the year 1858.
For example, Remington & sons invented the m1858 handgun, which became popular pretty fast.
Also there were some debates or something.
Another fact for that year is that the first day was a Friday.
Maybe someone could stitch those facts together :P Make their own "Frankenstein" scenario
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby MRM2811 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Hehe :D

Lyberodoggy has been indulging in my second favourite past time...
Research...

Oh the M1858 handgun...American civil war gun. Nice!

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby MRM2811 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

It was one of those days today when I rquired a afternoon nap (yes I am old enough for afternoon naps)...
Of course sleep always brings wonderful ideas and my nightmares are just more fun when I wake up in a cold sweat and realisee it was just a dream.

I must admit of course I love escape games, unfortunately most lack a story line. I know I can already hear the words of " Well, what type of story can you put in a escape game".. trust me, more than enough hence the previous mention of my nightmares... Multiple times I have the nightmare that I have been hunted stalked and murdered in my own dreams... trust me its more fun than it sounds. The beauty of it is that what if you woke up from a dream like that to find yourself in that situation, believing that it was all just a dream in the first place...

Secondly the most interesting part I find about this is it can be done in any setting, after all most escape games start off in a basement, dungeon, cellar or even a attic...

Whats more important is discovering how you got there as much as how you can get out. Are you the target of a plot or ransom, are just in the wrong place in the wrong time or are you mean't to be where your suppose to be...

I think escape games can have a plot line... such a pitty I find very few that have them.

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Definitely

Postby Harvester » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 am

Definitely they can have one. I was planning one a while ago, but since nowadays I'm not much into game-making (at least not in adventure games), it didn't see the light... like many of my game ideas :?

I can think of the movies like Saw, which are basically escape stories, that can be easily imagined in a game context (they made a game out of it by the way, which was not that bad, but could be real better...). In any games you may put NPCs to interact with, and then if they are charachteristic individuals, without doing anything else you have a sort of story. Since somehow they got there where you are, they have a purpose, and a fate in the end, maybe. Connected to them you can include moral decisions, which is quite popular nowadays (Silent Hill 5, Mass Effect, GTA4, Fallout 3 to mention some games with a bit of it in them), and then you have a state-of-art gamedesign :) Okay, I know it's not that easy, but still you have an escape game far deeper then the others.
What you mentioned, that is you being locked up must have a reason, is the other solution, that can be done even without other charachters -which can save an awful lot of time and effort.
What I would love to see is a game that is rather a thriller then an escape game, in which the player would have the choice to escape the way one wants. That is, e.g you start from your home, where you are ambushed. You have a timed escape game, while you have to get out while the mysterious enemy doesn't get you. After that, knowing some details of the protagonist, you would get some locations on a map where the protagonist can think he can go (e.g a weekend house, a relative's house, police station, etc.), and according to the decision the chase would continue, regularly interrupted by this map-scene, with different locations according to the progress in the story, that is, by the information gained by the protagonist. Such a pity that it would take a lot more work than a regular adventure game :)

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby MRM2811 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Wow Harvester...
Thats actually flippin brilliant. The choice of how to escape rather than just trying to escape... I must be slippin in the ideas department... :D

I must admit, just following a story line from A to B to C can get boring...
( Will have to think of some way to implement that into SC ).

I would imagine that in a thriller style game you would need a time mechanism too eg, " This micro bomb in my brain will explode if I don't figure out a way to shut it off in 12 hours, or of course they see me talking to that police officer... they could be watching me right now! Nooo what do I do " and than add multiple choices.. (lol thats how I would do it :shock: ).

I wished you had finished that idea Harvester that would have made a wickedly fun game..

MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Anyways

Postby Harvester » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am

Anyways, if anyone is up to it, I'm willing to give hands in such project :)

Of course the time factor would be important, but personally I would rather invent different reasons for time limits for each locations. Or to be more precise, not every loacations would have that, to let the player rest a little between to fastpaced sequences. That would emphasize the importance of those parts :wink:

Instead of putting up simply choices I'd rather use a map system on which the locations would be put where the player may go. Definitely such game would be fun... just a ~~didn't mean to swear~~ lot of animation to make if one wants to make it properly...

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Previous

Return to Storylines