New game with a new ''effect''

Games that never made it to the light of day.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

New game with a new ''effect''

Postby dorianpa » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi!
I've created a demo with a new concept. When you move to another frame a video starts playing a video to the next frame like MYST or antother game :-) You can download it via rapidshare here: http://rapidshare.de/files/23337526/New ... t.exe.html (61MB)I've created it very fast, in the garden of my parents :D Please tell me what do you think about it. I try to make a game with this ''effects''.

regards,
dorianpa[url][/url]
dorianpa

Postby Qtip5 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:47 pm

Nice game. Good idea.
Jake is Back!
Qtip5

A bit large, but . . .

Postby hegel5000 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:05 pm

Nice, yeah. You just need to make the video movement a good deal faster, try to crop out parts of it and speed up others, both because it takes a while to move, but also because it takes a while to download and it takes up a lot of my hard drive. And you need to have movement going the other way so it isn't just walking in one direction, but it is nice, and it does break the staticness of frame to frame movement.
hegel5000

Postby Mike_Sharp » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:40 pm

Its been a concept ive been toying with for a while and has been in a few comerical games (Ripper and Black Dahlia come to Mind) however at the moment its not fesable for me to render these transition movies as they take up time when i could be rendering scenes and new locations as well as actuall game making. :)

How ever I like what youve done here. Would be enhanced even more with looping video backgrounds. The size could be reduced by using an mpeg 4 codec like divx or xvid. :)

Could I ask what camera you used. :)
Its not the winning, the losing or the taking part that counts its the way you cheat.
Mike_Sharp

Postby dorianpa » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:03 pm

@Mike_Sharp Why? Is the quality so good or bad? I've used the Canon Powershot A75, a very good camera I think.

Yeah, when I create the game i reduced the size with xvid or other codecs.

dorianpa
dorianpa

Postby Mike_Sharp » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:18 pm

No ive got no criticism here I think the concept is great and had i got a decent camera I would create a Live Action game set around my town with photos and videos as thats much eaiser :)

The video quality was good however I was thinking of ways to get the Size of the project down as 60mb ish for only about 30 seconds of 640 by 480 is a bit on the large size and there are probably ways to trim that down whilst keeping the Video Quality up with an mpeg 4 codec like Divx or Xvid and compressing the sound to mp3.

Hehe video compression is my speciality really :) I once got a 4 minute widescreen 200mb video down to 20mb with no audible/visible Sound or Video Quality loss.

But anyway a fantastic way to present a game thats very real.
Its not the winning, the losing or the taking part that counts its the way you cheat.
Mike_Sharp

Postby Candle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Little jumping but other ways look good.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby dorianpa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:09 am

ok, i try to make a game (a little bit smaller) with no jumpings and other ways to go. I also try to make a inventory game. its difficult but i see what i can do. If ''The DeMO'' is finish, can anyone test it for me? I will be sure that the game i create is ''perfect'' :D But I create the game in another location (mallorca, spain). :P

dorianpa
dorianpa

Reah and SKIZM

Postby BrokenSilence » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 am

Yeah. I know what kind of transitions you mean ... Currently, my ideas of creating a game navigation system point to exactly what you have done ... with videos linking each image together.

I've done loads of tests, and one of them included this technique ... I only used photos taken with my digital camera inside my house, and discovered that the videos were just too long. They need to be very quick, since it may bore the player ...

A good example of this technique is used in REAH and SKIZM. Dragon Lore II used this technique as well ... Personally, I feel that it makes the game much more realistic and effective.

Fast and effective videos!

Goodluck with your endeavours! :)
Aaron Gwynaire
Sometimes does lead to darkness ...
BrokenSilence

Reah and SKIZM

Postby BrokenSilence » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:10 am

Yeah. I know what kind of transitions you mean ... Currently, my ideas of creating a game navigation system point to exactly what you have done ... with videos linking each image together.

I've done loads of tests, and one of them included this technique ... I only used photos taken with my digital camera inside my house, and discovered that the videos were just too long. They need to be very quick, since it may bore the player ...

A good example of this technique is used in REAH and SKIZM. Dragon Lore II used this technique as well ... Personally, I feel that it makes the game much more realistic and effective.

Fast and effective videos!

Goodluck with your endeavours! :)
Aaron Gwynaire
Sometimes does lead to darkness ...
BrokenSilence

Postby Imari » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:10 pm

I've noticed in some games that a combination of techniques is used. For instance, alpha transitions if one is making a simple "step" from one spot to an adjacent one, but video if one is climbing all the way up a spiral staircase.
Imari
VIP

Return to Vaporware Games