Problems with starting our game[Solved]

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Problems with starting our game[Solved]

Postby Mikael » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:04 pm

One of the buyers of our new game, Hope Springs Eternal, has described this problem:

"The game installed without any problems (and I did disable my antivirus program first). When I clicked on the icon in the Start Menu to begin play, the screen with the options to Start, Load, or Exit appeared. I clicked on Start and heard the double click you hear when your desktop is being resized. The desktop resized, and then nothing. Clicking on Exit didn't work, so I did a Ctrl-Alt-Del. On the Close Program Menu was the message "not responding", so I ended the task.

I also changed the resolution before trying to start the game, with the same result.

My normal screen resolution is 800 x 600, but my monitor does support 1024 x 768.

I have an ATI Radeon 9200, 128 MB graphics card and an Optiquest V73 monitor, made by Viewsonic.

I have a Pentium III, 1 GHz system, SB Live sound card, and 6.8 GB free space on the partition where the game was/will be installed. My OS is Windows 98SE."

We've sold many games, and no one has ever had a problem even similar to this. Does anyone have a clue about how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby Candle » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:22 pm

My OS is Windows 98SE
I would ask them if they are updated on all their DirectX and if you use any codec to make sure they are updated.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby ShadowHunter » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:25 am

Hi,

First let them simply update the video drivers... if that should fail let them disable "Hardware acceleration" under the tab Troubleshoot in the "Display Properties" and also disable "Write combining"

Good luck !

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby RealmWarrior » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:22 pm

Here's an alternative to try...

You can acquire "AM Transformer" which emulates AM's games without using any part of AM thereby eliminating it as a possible problem.

Some people have used it for the remote debugging of customer machines.

AM Transformer may allow you to run enough of your game to determine what is failing, where it fails, whether it's the user's actual machine, etc.

If the emulated version works, but the native one doesn't for example...Then it is less likely the user's system that is the problem.

Just visit my site to get it. If you'd like more info, let me know...
Would you like to transform your AM project(s) into a more portable & secure package ?

If so, then visit the "AM Transformer" forum here for more information!
RealmWarrior

Postby Mikael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:41 am

This problem was solved when the player reinstaller Windows Media Player for some reason.

There's quite an impressive program you've put together, RealmWarrior. I especially like the tailor made menus. Good work!
Mikael

Postby RealmWarrior » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:57 am

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for the kind words! :D
Would you like to transform your AM project(s) into a more portable & secure package ?

If so, then visit the "AM Transformer" forum here for more information!
RealmWarrior

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports