Question on loading saved games

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Question on loading saved games

Postby Skye » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:32 am

I'm still struggling with long load times for saved games and have a question regarding what the AM engine does when loading a saved game.

Does the engine just copy the information from the saved file into the game or does it do something else?

Reason I ask is that I have been able to reduce the size of the variable file (which appears to be what is contained in the save file) to a number where the game should reload in about 20 seconds, problem is, it is taking in the neighbourhood of 50 - 60 seconds.

I've been doing all my testing in the debug mode (not a compiled game) and the game itself takes about 40 seconds to start so if I add the 20 seconds to reload the variable file that would be around 60 seconds and so it seems like the game completely reloads itself then dumps in the saved variables :?:

Thanks

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Compiled the game were your at right now and run it and save a game and then see how long it takes. till then you don't know for sure how it works till you make the game right?
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby ShadowHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi,

A save file is a plain text file that is read line bij line. You mentioned that you use a lot of variables. That might be a reason though the reading itself is pretty fast infact :wink:

Did you test it on others systems already ?

Kind regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Skye » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:45 pm

I tried a 'timing test' on the compiled version but it gave the same results as I got when doing the same procedure in the AM debug mode.

One thing I have noticed is that when I click on the 'Load' button to reload a saved game, the music will continue playing for about 30 - 40 seconds (coincidently enough that is the time it takes the .exe to load ) then it stops and another 15 - 20 seconds later the 'reload' frame appears

The 'save' file is quite small but does contain the 1105 variables I still need to run the game. I have tried it on a 1.3gig laptop and it is a bit faster than on my 2.4gig (both running WinXP), like there is some sort of software accelerator installed.

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports