Alternative Inventory Options

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Alternative Inventory Options

Postby GeekyPenguin42 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi! This is my first post here!!! :D

The game I'm working on (with the Free edition of AM) will involve some specialized inventory functions. There will be books that you can pick up and read, so for those I would need to go to another frame when someone clicks on the book in the inventory section. Also, there is a key that you pick up and use in (dum da da!) a lock. But the key is adjustable, so you turn dials on the key to enter a combo, and that changes the lengths of the teeth on the key. So the key would have to take you to another frame when you click on it, and allow you to drag and drop it onto a lock hotspot.

Is there any way of doing this with the standard inventory? I would prefer solutions without scripting, but at some point I may buy the full version, so it's acceptable. If not, perhaps I could make my own inventory by making a hotspot that goes on every frame, and that takes you to an inventory frame, where every item is a hotspot. Only, then I couldn't drag and drop. Hmm...
GeekyPenguin42

Postby Saxbryn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 pm

Welcome :)

I don't think you can realize this with the standard inventory, as it features only drag&drop functionality and no possibilty to use or investigate stored items just by clicking on them. The only thing I can figure is that you use a certain table to put on and read these books, which can be performed by drag&drop. The same could also be done with the key, though every possible combination had to be created both as single frame and item then, which is heavily space consuming at higher resolutions.
Your second idea is more convenient, I think. You could combine it with the normal inventory, so you can both drag&drop and, for instance on the bottom of every frame, directly use the items you collected. And no, there is no need to link to an inventory frame. You can put transparent Ico's (up to 255*255px as I noticed recently) or Gif's (Not if you use transitions as these produce transparency errors with this file type) in a stencil frame and merge them into all other frames, so they will be automatically omnipresent. However you'll have an inventory border visible all the time then, because automatic disappear isn't possible without scripting.
Saxbryn

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports