confusing font problem

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

confusing font problem

Postby sugawara » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Hello,

i gots a problem when AM starts up. ive looked through this forum trying to find it but no luck. anyhow hopefully someone can give em a hand: so when i start up AM i get an error message that says i have windows set to large fonts and that if i go to display then settings i can set them to small under "font" well ive got windows xp service pack 2 and there is no font under there, at least not where the error message directs me. there is a font under a different area (appearance) but! i dont have small fonts listed under there, just normal large and extra large. am i doing something wrong? or what can i do to fix this?
( it says that if i dont set it to small fonts that AM will NOT work properly)

thankyou very much!
sugawara

Postby Mystery » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:57 pm

Hmmm, well I don't know what your settings are. But when I go to the display settings (Start->Control Panel->Display Settings), I can set the font size. Did you check if it's set to "normal"?

It should look like this, where you need to check:
http://kampela.it.helsinki.fi/apumatti/ ... ea_iso.gif
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby sugawara » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:28 am

yup! mine is exactly the same EXCEPT that i am also running window blinds 5.5 on my computer. so possibly the window blinds program conflicts with the fonts as adventure maker sees them?
sugawara

Postby Mystery » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Well, I have no experience with Window Blinds, so I can't tell, but it's possible that this might cause a conflict.
I assume that you've already tried to switch back to default Windows look?
Mystery

Postby sugawara » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:28 am

yeah i unloaded window blinds and no luck, it still gives me that font size needs to be changed to small. but its already on normal just like your picture indicated
sugawara

jrdj

Postby Crazygamemaker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:27 am

I doubt Window Blinds has anything to do with this.My laptop has Window Blinds and AM runs well.

Must be something else :?
AdvenureMaker is so easy even a caveman can use it!
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Postby sugawara » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:51 am

im unsure what to do, i dont know what it is that is going wrong.
sugawara

Postby Mystery » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Yes, this is a strange problem... It seems that there are settings on your pc that AM has problems with...

Have you also tried to de-install and re-install AM?

Btw, you could also try to set your font to "large", reboot your pc, check AM. Then set font to "normal" again, and reboot your pc. This is a method that sometimes works with other software that has problems with the font settings...

If these things don't work, maybe GM has an idea where the cause could be? :?
Mystery

Postby sugawara » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 pm

i will give that a shot and see what happens. i dont get ot see all the good replies quickly because im in japan and assume you all are back west or farther out from me lol anyhow next thing to try is changing the fonts to large and then back again.
sugawara

Postby Mystery » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Good luck, I hope that it will work :)

If there is still a problem, now that you mention that you come from Japan, I've thought of the cause possibly being connected to this, e.g.
- Are you running a Japanese Windows XP?
- Could your regional and language settings in the Control Panel have influence on AM?

I'm just thinking aloud.
Mystery

Postby sugawara » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:58 am

im not actually japanese, im living here as another english teacher lol. but my wife does have the language bar setup on this computer so that she can type in japanese, perhaps the language bar ( japanese IME and such) has an effect on AM?

i wouldnt be sure how to go about checking if it does, it was a pain in the ~~didn't mean to swear~~ to figure out how to get the language bar on in the first place lol

thanks for the time and effort!
sugawara

Postby Candle » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 am

That would be the problem. AM will not work with that I believe. if you do a search you will someone else that happen to.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 pm

As long as we don't have a real proof, it remains a hypothesis, but I agree that this might be the cause.

Having the font size set to large (well, this is what AM receives as info for a certain reason) might be a problem when running AM in full size mode.

Now, are you able to run AM in window mode, or does this error message mean that you are not able to run AM at all?
Mystery

Postby Imari » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 pm

On my computer, I just did a test with the font size set to Large and then Extra Large. It did not seem to affect AM or running an AM game from within the editor. I used full screen with both. I am also running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I believe that the earlier problem that Candle mentioned had to do with running AM in non-English versions of Windows, but I'm pretty sure that GM fixed that a while back in one of the updates. Maybe it does have to do with running a Japanese keyboard on your English version of Windows. I did a quick Google of "Input Method Editor" and "small font" and got a lot of hits. There was a lot of talk about small fonts with hiragana and kanji. Best of luck in figuring this out.

(On the plus side, you get to live in Japan, which must be pretty cool. :P )
Imari
VIP

Postby GM-Support » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi,

When you click the "Advanced" button under the Settings tab of the Display Settings window (see attached screenshot)", you should see "Normal Size (96dpi)" under the "DPI Setting" display section.

Do you have the same setting?

GM-Support
Attachments
font_size.png
font_size.png (64.04 KiB) Viewed 6953 times
GM-Support

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports