ok please help me out here possibly dumb question

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

ok please help me out here possibly dumb question

Postby sugawara » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:18 am

I realize this might be dumb, and i have looked a SMALL LITTLE bit for the answer, but here is my problem ( very simple im sure) i installed my own game after i made an EXE file, and it doesnt work. now i have AM installed but i was told if you have a paid version that you dont need it.

but when i try to run my own little game, i get a black dos box flash on and then it quits and nothing else.

am i missing something? i am in windows xp and i think everything should be ok right?

thanks for the help!

sugawara
sugawara

Postby Mystery » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:15 am

Hi sugawara,

Yes, usually there shouldn't be any problem with installing and playing your own game as .exe file. Personally I never had any issues with that.
But there is a thread about a similar problem, and as it seems, the cause why this problem occurs in rare cases, has not been found yet:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... hlight=exe

Perhaps somebody has meanwhile figured out something, and has suggestions?
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby sugawara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:34 am

no luck, im not sure what to do, i cant readily wipe my whole hard drive right now, so i guess im out of luck.
sugawara

Postby sugawara » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:39 am

interesting also, i just tried to compile a different demo game and it does the same thing, later on i will unistall the program and try it all again. but as well it seem to read the game after it is installed as an msdos file? when i go into the directory under start menu, the icon for the game is an msdos icon? is that supposed to be that way?
sugawara

Postby Candle » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:30 am

That only happens if the exe does not compile all the way.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 am

Hi,

What happens if you try to launch the game from the folder where you have installed it to? Something like: c:/Program Files/yourgame/yourgame.exe
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby sugawara » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:33 pm

hello,

its been a while since ive been on the forum to check this (very busy teacher lol) and still no luck, perhaps like candle says im not letting its finish ( hence the msdos icon?) but what happens when it finishes? doesnt the box just dissapear? i havent tried it in a couple of weeks but as soon as time allows im back on it!
sugawara

Postby mercedes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Theres a good chance you may not see this post..being as is been awhile..since u last posted but if u do..

What i think has happened here is that, some games were made with dos.and windows won't run with is compatibility...here are a couple of things you can do

You can download the lastest drivers for your video card. If your video card is out of date and without newly installed drivers ..may not run games properly...and I don't mean windows updates drivers..i mean from the actual website of your video card.:)

Make sure you have the lastest Direct X , Flash, and Check, sound card.

You can also try running it in a different compatibility mode...say 98 for instance..or 95..see if that helps...some games are made for dos..therefore making it so windows doesnt run it...try compatibity mode..for the game u tried after that..

Not sure if this will help or not..but none of these options will hurt it..u can always change it back..or set restore point.
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports