need help with a minor variable problem

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

need help with a minor variable problem

Postby mazerik » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:13 am

Ok, here is an easy problem I have run into. Short version: I need it to go from A to B to C, then back to A. If the person goes back to A and decides to go back to C, B is skipped.

Long version: You are standing on a trail (A) and you can go either forward or backward. My problem is when choosing to go backward. When you click to go back, it goes to a frame that has a book with a story on it (B)... when you are done reading, you "click to continue" and it takes you to a scene with a collapsed bridge (C). Right now the only choice is to go back. When you click to go back, it takes you back to the trail (A) that you started on. What I am trying to do is make it so that if the person tries to go back to the collapsed bridge, they will skip the reading part (B) and just see the collapsed bridge (C).

Like I said, I am sure it is an easy fix, but I have been looking on the forums forever and I can't find anything. Thanks in advance!

Also, how can I let people see my game? I tried to attach it but it was too big and the .am1 extension was not on the allowed extensions.
mazerik

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 am

You have to choose " Go Back to Last visited frame" in the Hotspotproperties in the frame with the bridge.
So if you come from the book you get back to the book. If you come from the
trail you're going back to the trail.

You have to upload you're file to a filehoster like Mediafire and post the link here, so the people can download it.
Attachments
Aufzeichnen.JPG
Aufzeichnen.JPG (106.33 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby mazerik » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:24 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/file/unnmmxnwtdv/CYOA - Extreme Survival.am1

OK, here is my link above so that you can see my problem. I have the trail frame. when you click to check the water sound it takes you to a frame with text on it. From there, when you click continue, it takes you to the frame with the collapsed bridge on it. When you click to go back, it goes back to the trail. The problem that I am having is what if they want to go back to the collapsed bridge? If they are going back there again, I want them to skip the frame with the text. You will see what I mean if you check out my little choose your own adventure style game in progress.

Thanks
mazerik

Postby reneuend » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 pm

You need to create a variable that will be set to 1 if they have already been to scene (b). So set the variable equal to 1 in scene(b). On Scene (a) and Scene(c) where you have hotspots to go to scene(b), check the variable. If it is equal to 1, then don't go to scene(b). You can probably do this with the variable TAB.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby juhuwoorps » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 am

ok.now I understand your problem.
if you have the full version of AM reneuends version will be fine :)

but if not, you have to play around with a lot of variables and hotspots.

so it would be nice to have more information about you're game.

By the way, you have very nice pictures in it!
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby mazerik » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:31 am

http://www.mediafire.com/file/unnmmxnwtdv/CYOA - Extreme Survival.am1

Here is my game so far. What I am trying to do is this. Since the reader can choose where he wants to go, I want the story frame to only appear the first time you go there. I have a little book icon on the bottom of the page that you can press if you need to re-read anything. I know that it has something to do with placing two hot spots in the same place. The first hotspot leads to the reading frame and then disappears and then the second one just goes straight to the collapsed bridge, but I have tried a bunch of things and I know it is because I don't understand how to set up the variables.
mazerik

Postby reneuend » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:49 am

Create an integer variable: StoryRead

---------------------------------------------------

(B)frame Advanced Properties
StoryRead = 1

(A)frame Hotspot that goes to (B)frame:

Code: Select all
'if story has already been read then go to (c)
If StoryRead = 1 then
    Action.GoToFrame "(C) Frame"
else
    Action.GoToFrame "(B) Frame"
end if

(C)frame Hotspot that goes to (B)frame:

Code: Select all
'if story has already been read then go to (A)
If StoryRead = 1 then
    Action.GoToFrame "(A) Frame"
else
    Action.GoToFrame "(B) Frame"
end if
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mazerik » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:50 am

is that code for the advanced variables in the frame or the variable in the hotspots? I only have the free edition, so I am limited.
mazerik

Postby reneuend » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:09 am

oh...didn't know that....hang on...I'll throw some screen shots together.

Here you go! Just go to this link and read the PDF file.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=28435#28435

good luck! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mazerik » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 am

you are a life saver... Just got done painting another frame (and icon for inventory) now going to work on the variables you just sent me. Ahhh... pictures... now I can see what I am doing :D
mazerik

Postby mazerik » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:34 am

YES IT WORKS NOW!!! That is awesome! I mean, I guess it would have been ok without doing that but I didn't want to have to keep reading a page over and over every time I go to an area that I have already been to. That is why I made that little book hotspot down in the corner. I figured if a person wanted to read the text again, they could just click on that at their convenience. Now, the real work begins... there is going to be three different "successful" endings. One for each of the scenarios that the person chooses. a haunted house, a forest survival scenario, and some kind of dungeon/cave (traps and such) scenario. There will be an inventory, and who knows what else can develop along the way. I am going to try to maintain the "Choose your own adventure" style, even though it would be more fun to have them be able to fight a monster or ghost, not just given a choice, "If you kill it go here, if you run go here". we'll see. I've got some more stuff to work on now. I will keep updating so you guys can see the progress. I will post updates every time that I have a different ending or if I am stuck on something. Thanks for the help so far!
mazerik

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports