i need help getting my game to work online...

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

i need help getting my game to work online...

Postby Suicune » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:09 pm

1st of all, im sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, but i didnt know where it should go, so i just chose technical.

now, i really want to get my game online so that it can get put up on EG24 (a big escape games site you might have heard of) so that more people can play it (because i know few people bother with downloads these days). i used the "web game builder" program that chickens found a while ago, but im having troubles getting webpage to save the provided "code" properly (it keeps erasing a critical "backslash" on its own when i hit save!), so i cant know for sure if my game will work or not!

well my request basically is, if someone has the time and/or spare webpage, if they could please take the below code and files (my game) and see if they can get my game to work online so that i can get it hosted on EG24:

<object ID="WAL_GAMETRACE" classid="clsid:26ACAE6F-BC95-44B4-9150-61E4D20D5C2E"
type="application/x-oleobject" codebase="loadgame_et.cab#version=1,0,0,1"
align="CENTER" width=P_strWidth height=P_strHeight id="T1">
<param name="Enable" value=1>
<param name="strDownload" value="Suicunes Maze Escape.zip">
<param name="strRun" value="Suicunes Maze Escape\Suicunes Maze Escape">
<param name="strGameTitle" value="Suicunes Maze Escape">
<param name="ClBackGround" value=0>
<param name="ClBar" value=16738408>
<param name="ClText" value=12639424>
<param name="Cl2Text" value=P_Cl2Text>
<param name="ClBEdge" value=14935011>
<param name="strText" value="">
<param name="str2Text" value="P_str2Text">
<param name="ScreenMode" value=0>
<param name="LoadType" value=P_LoadType>
</object>

here are the 2 "required" files of my game that need to be uploaded to a website, according to the instructions:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q11EYGVC (the loader zip)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CT0K631P (my main game zip)

i dont own a webpage. i just tried registering a free one with 110mb.com, but everytime i try to save the above code into my webpage it screws up and alters itself as i said above, and i dont know why! i even tried with 2 computers, and 3 browsers, the code will never save properly for me, and so i get errors whenever i try to run the game page in IE, and the browser crashes.

mabye its a flaw with the 110mb editor... its a just a free hosting domain after all... so that is why i want this code tested on a real webpage, except that i dont own any webpages.... this is why i need outside help testing this.

i know this is a bit of a weird request but i really dont know how else i can go about solving this dilemma... sorry :( i just know some people have managed to get thier adventure maker games to work on web pages in the past, and id love to have some help getting mine to work on a webpage too, because i want the people at EG24 to play it...
Suicune

Postby Mystery » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Suicune, unfortunately you will need to find a way to host your game yourself. EG24 is a blog, and the games are hosted on Photobucket, for which supported files are only images, videos and flash files.
EG24 won't be able to host your game, just put a link to it.

I'll try out 110mb when I get my activation code (tried already twice, but didn't get it after 1 hour)...
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Suicune » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:07 am

well what i meant was i want my game to appear on EG24 like all the other escape games, i know they cant host it for me. my real problem is i cant get my game to work on a webpage, and until i can do that, theres no point asking EG24 to link my game.

ive been trying all day to get it to work with 110mb and it just wont work. i keep getting some weird "POST ERROR-ERROR ID:404". that happens like 10 times in a row, followed by a "cant run executable file", and finally the browser will crash. ive tried remaking the whole package with all menus and loading screen disabled, still doesnt work...

idk mabye im doing something wrong, i know web game builder isnt a very reliable program, but i know for a fact some people have gotten it to work... mabye i should ask chickens about it since hes the one who discovered this...

in the end, im hoping i can get it to at least work sometimes (better than nothing), so that people can at least have a chance to play it. so far though, ive not gotten past this weird "post error 404" issue. idk, mabye its just 110mb thats the problem?

btw im really sorry about this thread, i just feel it kinda doesnt belong here but i just wanna talk to someone and see if anyone can help me troubleshoot this... i really want my game to work after all the time i spent on it
Suicune

Postby Mystery » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:21 pm

I have the feeling that they had some technical issues yesterday, because as I said I tried to register twice with different emails and never got an activation.
Now I just tried again to register, and immediately got the activation.

I'm going to try it out now if it works, and let you know :)

EDIT
Okay, to save the source with the backslash, you need to enter a double backslash:
Code: Select all
<param name="strRun" value="Suicunes Maze Escape\\Suicunes Maze Escape">

and then save.
Mystery

Postby Suicune » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:12 pm

ah! thank you, ive gotten past that hurdle now, and yes its very strange how we must enter an extra backslash to bypass that :/ thanks for trying it out and finding that fix though!

however im still getting the same "post error 404" followed by "cant run executable", and the browser crashes. 404 means not found but i have uploaded the 2 zip files it told me to... so i dont get why its doing that.

this is with IE, because with firefox the webgame doesnt even appear at all. with IE ive been able to get my loading screen to appear, but it wont go past that because of these errors.

i might try finding another host, just so i can rule that out as a possibility.

or, mabye the code that web game builder gave me is flawed... idk, i just get the feeling it shouldnt be saying 404...

i guess if nothing works i cant get my game onto EG24 which is a real bummer :(

EDIT: and now im just getting really upset, because i cant find any other places like 110mb to even try putting my game on, no matter how hard i look -_- i get the feeling if only i could try some real web domains my game might actually work... but im starting to feel that this game making thing was just a giant waste of my time, i wish i had been smarter than to bother at all with it, cuz no ones gonna even get to play my game now, so i put all that effort in for NOTHING and im really mad.

stupid "web game builder" and elumisoft.

guess i should just save my project to a CD and hope 1 day a REAL company (unlike elumisoft) can perfect exe-to-browser technology and then i can get people to play my game... but yea ill probably be waiting a few decades :/ sorry, im just really crushed and angry atm.
Suicune

Postby Mystery » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm

Can you post the link?

Btw, as I told you earlier, this tool didn't work really well, and the "cant run executable" error is what many of us got. :?

EDIT
I've read your edit in your previous post.
I'm sorry that you think that you have wasted your time :(
However, I told you from the beginning not to put too much hope into the Web Game Builder as our experiences were not really good.
I think many of us would like to create more complex games with AM than what is possible with the iPhone or HTML feature that run also in a browser. Maybe it will be possible one day, either with a native plugin for AM or a similar but better working tool than the one from Ethiumsoft.

Btw, have you tried http://www.webs.com ? It's also free.

But if I were you, I'd make the game available for download. Of course there would be less players, but you could still show what you have worked on, and also get feedback on it. However this is completely your decision :)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 am

Ppl still play downloadable games...I know when i released mine..or Mystery did hers..Juhuwoorps..Pensteve..ect..lots....many played them..

In fact..I go to BF most of the time to play games there..and they're all downloadable..:)..

Can a person post there..? like host it there..I've often wondered about that place...I know BF buys or hosts them i gather..but they don't make them all..cause i see different logos all the time..?

Once u get a reputation..with some of the bloggers..too in EG24 or other places..ppl then look forward to playing them..downloadable or not..:)

I love downloadable games..I find them cozy--fullscreen..smoke..candles..especially if they're scary..:D..:lol:
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports