Cursor

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Cursor

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:11 am

What is the easiest way to make the windows arrow cursor dissapear while for example:"showing a video" then reappear afterwards?
Also, do you think it irritates the player to lose cursor control even though it wont be usable during the video?
Thanks!
GORDON
Advanced Member

Postby mercedes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:15 am

What is the easiest way to make the windows arrow cursor dissapear while for example:"showing a video" then reappear afterwards?

Hm...I assumed it did disappear when u played a video..inside the area...
Outside the area..for the default one...I don't know if that's as easy..I think u have to change the default one..to one of ur own first..Then make it dissappear..or invisible..I think I asked this before..

I'll look around..:) I may be wrong..

Also, do you think it irritates the player to lose cursor control even though it wont be usable during the video?
Thanks!

It might..if its a video they have to continually view..to start the game..or get past an area...Some games i play the video is at the start..and sometimes u just want to start the game...nice to be able to just click and go on...I gather it depends on the length of video..:)
mercedes
VIP

Cursor

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm

The video is just an example. I just wanted to know how the "windows arrow cursor" can be eliminated for a few frames that are alph. then reappear. I don't know if its a real problem but sometimes the player is trying to interact looking for hotspots when I'm just trying to show him some frames.
Thanks!
GORDON
Advanced Member

Postby Mystery » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 pm

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... niques.htm

4. How to hide the mouse pointer?

First make sure that the file "Invisible.ico" is in the "Icons" sub-folder of your project folder (if it is not there, import the one that is in "Icons" sub-folder of the Adventure Maker folder).
Then use the following code:
Action.ChangeDefaultCursor "Invisible.ico"
To restore the default pointer, use the following code:
Action.ChangeDefaultCursor ""
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Cursor

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks! I thought the invisible cursor only replaced the hotspot cursors!
GORDON
Advanced Member

Cursor

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Action.ChangeDefaultCursor ""
What is the name of the default arrow cursor for AM to be used between quotation marks?
GORDON
Advanced Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 am

Hi there..~! :D

Under Manage Resources..make sure Invisible.ico is there..in your icon's subfolder.

When u go to Project's Properties..There is a place in the Options TAB, you can change it there..[the Default one is set already]..Import the one u know the name too..[It can look like the default one]-This way u can make it what u want.--and will know the name.

..That will make it so your entire project is set to have the one that looks like the Default one..or the invisible one..ect...

In the frames properties..set it to whatever one u change it too..by using that code..

Action.ChangeDefaultCursor "" --putting the name between quotes. Leaving it empty, should hide it.

This is what I would do..and had to do..I remember doing this once..and the default cursor..wouldn't work between quotes..i think..something like that..I had to change the default cursor.

Also, I'm not sure if this works to hide the cursor altogether, in full screen.
mercedes
VIP

CURSOR

Postby GORDON » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:37 am

After I make the arrow cursor dissapear I can't get it back properly. If I use a new default cursor it just takes over the screen including hotspots. Can't I just code to make the original cursor come back normally?
Thanks!
GORDON
Advanced Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 am

Indeed, the cursor will be the same for all the screen, however if you go to another screen, the different cursors over the hotspots will work again.
You may need to go to another screen after restoring the default cursor to make them work with the associated cursor, unless there is another way.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:15 pm

If u want the cursors to change or be invisible..and the hotspots to have their own...U have to load them ..at the same time.
Or you may be able to reload the screen again..refresh it. There are a few things...you can try this...

So you may have a code in your frame's properties that looks something like this..; You can also use ScreenObject to change the cursor for the entire frame as well..

Action.ChangeDefaultCursor ""---Put what u want between quotes
Hotspot(5).MouseIcon = LoadGraphicFile("FILENAME")
Hotspot(5).MousePointer = 99

They all have different numbers...99 will allow u to load your own..Make sure you replace "filename" with the actual name of the file. Make sure all icons are in the HOTSPOT folder as well as icon folder...or you'll get an error.

This thread might better explain cursors and screenobjects and changing them..:) I hope it helps..!~..

Note; when u change frames..all should reset itself.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4375&highlight=cursor
mercedes
VIP

CURSOR

Postby GORDON » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Then it seems like the best idea for me would be to do my frame transitions with no cursor seen, then on the last transition frame bring back the default cursor to allow hotspot icons on the next frame to be seen. I guess I could also make a duplicate frame with a quick transition in order to set up the next frame.
Thanks for all the help!
GORDON
Advanced Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports