Animated Gif - Slow Load / Setting Flag at runtime (VBS)

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Animated Gif - Slow Load / Setting Flag at runtime (VBS)

Postby darrenbeckett » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:30 am

Hi, Could someone please help me with the following issue:-

I have found that whilst my frame is loading, animated GIF's can take a second or two to display. During this slight pause the animated GIF hotspot is displayed blank until it has finished loading. Which looks rubbish.

I have tried setting display variables and playing with the hotspot(1).enabled/visible flags within the VB script to try and get it to preload before it makes the hotspot visible but cannot find the right combination.

If this was VB I would load the picture into a hidden container and then display it afterwards.

Any Ideas?

Note: If I have the animated GIF loaded into the hotspot and NOT have the "Is Animated GIF" flag set, it loads instantly. Is there a possibility I can change the "Is Animated GIF" flag at runtime, once the Frame has finished loading?
darrenbeckett

Postby juhuwoorps » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am

To play an animation I would prefer the Animationmaker plugin you can find in the plugin corner
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Re: Animated Gif - Slow Load / Setting Flag at runtime (VBS)

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:07 am

darrenbeckett wrote:If this was VB I would load the picture into a hidden container and then display it afterwards.

This IS VB. You can do whatever you could do in VB6. And even if you can't fully control the containers, you can create a custom OCX in vb6 to include your own container in your project and use it accordingly.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby darrenbeckett » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks for your replies, the animation maker unfortunately doesn't lend itself for what I'm doing. So I'll create my own at some point. Thanks again.
darrenbeckett

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:50 pm

If you want some features added you can contact me or joohoowoorps who have worked previously on the plugin or just post in its page to ask for them
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Re: Animated Gif - Slow Load / Setting Flag at runtime (VBS)

Postby mercedes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 am

I have found that whilst my frame is loading, animated GIF's can take a second or two to display. During this slight pause the animated GIF hotspot is displayed blank until it has finished loading. Which looks rubbish.

Any Ideas?

Hi there~ :D Welcome to the forums!~

If you use a plugin..to play the animation..you can try loading the first picture/frame of your animation..in the hotspot already..I found it played quicker..Depending on how many frames were in the animation..of course..but..for the most part..seemed to work ok..
mercedes
VIP

Postby darrenbeckett » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Could I change the "Is Animated GIF" flag at runtime? What's it called?

I could show the GIF as usual and set the Anim Flag to True when i'm ready for it to animate.
darrenbeckett

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm

darrenbeckett wrote:Could I change the "Is Animated GIF" flag at runtime? What's it called?

I could show the GIF as usual and set the Anim Flag to True when i'm ready for it to animate.

I don't think that's do-able. You see, some of the engine's features cannot be set during runtime, because they have to be pre-loaded.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby darrenbeckett » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok, so I shall try preloading with just the first Frame, thanks for your help.
darrenbeckett

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports