Troubles testing and compiling in Vista x64 and XP

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Troubles testing and compiling in Vista x64 and XP

Postby Sedani Studio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:28 am

Dear AM Staff and Community:

I am experiencing some difficulty in creating an executable file which will transfer from my Vista x64 system to XP x32 or x64. Recently, I created a short game with only 12 frames. All of them are in AM Panoramic mode (not the cubic panorama). When I compiled it in Vista, it would install and worked great. However, having tested it on 2 XP systems (both x32), it continues to give me an error (see attached file). I get the same error when I try to test frames.

One interesting thing - when I?ve installed the program on the XP machines, and start the program, I get the opening options screen. If I click ?start new game? it then gives me the error, but I can click OK to get out of it. Unfortunately, the opening panoramic screen then comes up as a static image with no movement possible.

Thinking the problem might have been something to do with compiling the program on an x64 system, I copied some panoramic image files I had rendered onto a flash drive, then opened up AM on the XP system, started a new project, and imported the images in as frames. They are standard .jpg files. Unfortunately, the same problems persisted. Also, simply copying the project folder and transferring it to the XP system and using AM on that machine to compile the .exe file didn't work either.

I have been careful to see that each frame and project has the panoramic plugin enabled. The version I?ve been using is the full version 4.52.

Another error I've gotten is Error Code 0x8002801c. There was a thread in the forums about needing to install MSCOMCTL.OCX and register it, but my VISTA x64 machine wouldn?t let me do that.

Help! The purpose of my projects is to have a game that will work for XP and Vista (and Windows 7 eventually), but I can?t seem to get past these error codes and can?t figure out what they mean.

Thanks,

Ian at Sedani Studios
Attachments
Error message.JPG
This is the error message I receive.
Error message.JPG (95.01 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
Sedani Studio

One more bit of information

Postby Sedani Studio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Something else occurred to me as relevant - my panorama frames are 4500 x 1500. That's big but really makes the quality nice. I've set the ratio as 3 in the properties. Again, this works fine on Vista. Is there a panoramic frame size limit in XP?
Sedani Studio

Looks like it's a size issue

Postby Sedani Studio » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:49 am

After doing some testing with XP, it appears that the largest size it will take is 2048x2048 for a panoramic (is there a way around this?). That solves the problem, but I'm a little disappointed because it does affect the quality of the frames. I've used up to 4500x4500 in Vista without any problems.
Sedani Studio

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports