Creating a Quiz Game in Adventure Maker: Score problem.

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby arienram » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 am

Hi everyone, I recently loaded up a quiz I created in another program, and tried to rebuild it in AM. I used the MYSCORE = MYSCORE + 1 senario from the help files to create a score. I also used the 'Execute some VBScript every time a frame is loaded' option from the project properties. I created a blank screen, and added a hotspot SCORE in the desired spot. I linked the frames I wanted with Runtime Frames Merging so the SCORE would appear.
Two problems: 1: My score wouldn't change past 1. I clearly need more idea on how often to insert MYSCORE + 1!
2: All the frames NOT selected, in Runtime rames Merging, threw error messages when I tested the game. Those were Intro, Title, End, etc.
Has anyone else out there built a successful Quiz the a score? I could really use some help.
Cheers, ArienRam. :?
I am interested in creating point and click games involving human themes and martial arts. In other words, action, adventure.
arienram

Postby juhuwoorps » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:04 am

Some more information about the codes you're using would be helpful.

What do you mean with
My score wouldn't change past 1
?

The errors with the non merged frames are happens because the textobject from the score is missing. You have to preclude this frames in the code at the project properties.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby arienram » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi Juhuwooprps, thanks for getting back to me. Well the Help Files coding instructions were pretty sketchy. I just wrote the MYSCORE + 1 code into the first question's correct hotspot answer. I couldn't find out if that had to be added to every correct answer or what? The 'Execute some VBScript code on every Frame' code was just as the help file laid it out. I didn't know that you could add code to that instruction to exclude certain frames from the list, other than the RunTime Frames Merging. I confess to being not very good at coding, unless it is laid out in plain view before me. I would be interested to learn the add-on to the origional code if possible, even if I don't get this quiz game up and running.
The code(quoting from the Help Files:
i = Action.GetMergedTextIndex
Text(i).Caption="Score: "+CStr(MYSCORE)
Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
regards, ArienRam
I am interested in creating point and click games involving human themes and martial arts. In other words, action, adventure.
arienram

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Ok lets see if you get any help with this:

1. You to put this code in every HS you want to score up:

Code: Select all
myscore=myscore+1
text(getmergedtextindex)=myscore

2. For the code in the advanced tab of your frame properties use this:

Code: Select all
frame=getcurrentframename
if frame="Intro" or "Title" or "End" then
myscore=myscore
else
text(getmergedtextindex)=myscore
end if

Hope this helps.I don't have tested it.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby arienram » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for your reply, Juhuwoorps. I'll rebuild the quiz and impliment your code. I'm interested to see how it works as well. I'll let you know.
Regards, ArienRam. :)
arienram

Postby arienram » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:56 am

Hi again, Juhuoorps, just to let you know, I tried the code to exempt certain frames from the Runtime Frames list. You stated to put it in the advanced tab of the frame properties. I tried this ie: using the frame's name, "Startup". As nothing happened, I went to the Project Properties Advanced Tab "Execute some VBScript code every time a frame is loaded" instead. I listed in order all the frames exempted in the Runtime Frames Merging list. The first frame, "Startup" worked fine. But it proceeded to throw an error message on the second, "Intblue1" although the score didn't appear. It loaded up all other frames in the Intro list "Intblue2" to "4" without the score showing, but continued to throw the error on "Intblue1". So it 'nearly' worked I guess. Haven't tested the code for the HS yet but have high hopes.
Cheers ArienRam. :)
arienram

Postby arienram » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 am

Hi again, Juhuoorps, just to let you know, I tried the code to exempt certain frames from the Runtime Frames list. You stated to put it in the advanced tab of the frame properties. I tried this ie: using the frame's name, "Startup". As nothing happened, I went to the Project Properties Advanced Tab "Execute some VBScript code every time a frame is loaded" instead. I listed in order all the frames exempted in the Runtime Frames Merging list. The first frame, "Startup" worked fine. But it proceeded to throw an error message on the second, "Intblue1" although the score didn't appear. It loaded up all other frames in the Intro list "Intblue2" to "4" without the score showing, but continued to throw the error on "Intblue1". So it 'nearly' worked I guess. Haven't tested the code for the HS yet but have high hopes.
Cheers ArienRam. :)
arienram

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 am

sorry. put it into the project prperties
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports