Video control

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Video control

Postby Marco » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 am

Is there any way to control a video (mpeg,avi...) in AdventureMaker ? With video control I intend something like this : you have a video file starting from position 0 and ending at position 1000. What I would like to do is to tell Adventuremaker to play video from position x to position y and execute some code when the video reach position y (with x,y variables). The starting position x can be easily set by setting the CurrentPosition attribute, however the only way I know to end the video at position y is to create a timed event that every XXX sec checks the CurrentPosition until CurrentPosition > y. This type of video control seems to interfere with video playback and the results are not good.
So, does anyone knows an alternate and more efficient way for such video control without the use of CreateTimedEvent ?

Thanks
Marco

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am

Yes, that is possible... just create a control and use the methods and properties of that control via VB-script
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Marco » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 am

Sorry, I really don't understand what you intend with "create a control". The Action LoadControl has been used to define the MediaPlayerObject , but this allows you to control only the initial frame of the video and not the last. Maybe I was not very clear about what I am interested in. The goal is to execute some code when the mediafile reaches a target position. Thus for example create an event that should not be timed event, but an event like "MediaPlayerObject(1).CurrentPosition>=TargetPosition" where targetPosition is user defined.

Thanks.
Marco

Postby 3dgamer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Marco,

I've been away from the forums for a loooong time but saw your message and thought I'd take a shot at what I think you might be saying (If I understand you correctly).

I think that my approach to having an event occur when a certain position in a video is reached is to actually create my video in segments so that when that segment ended, I could trigger an event. Then I would continue the video from that point via the next video segment. So my approach would be more so to re-think of how I would create my video file in that I would slice it up into segments that ended where I would want my coded events to occur. Something like this:

1. Video segment one: squirrel runs up tree and reaches tree hole (freeze frame/cutaway image on squirrel)
2. Coded Event: trigger sound file and show text, "You earned one point."
3. Video segment two: video continues/resumes from freeze frame/cutaway and squirrel enters hole. Once in the hole, the squirrel reaches two staches of acorn nuts: one stache is smaller with the squirrel's name the other is bigger with squirrel's brother's name (freeze frame/cutaway image on squirrel).
4. Close-up Image of two staches: User clicks on larger stache of acorns that has squirrel's brother's name.
5. Coded Event: Trigger sound file and show text, "THEFT ALERT!"
6. Close-up Image of two staches: User clicks on small stache of acorns that has squirrel's name.
7. Coded Event: Trigger pleasant sound file and show text image: "You earned two points. You may eat now."
8. Video segment three: video continues/resumes from freeze frame/cutaway and squirrel munches down his stache of acorns.

Okay, this is a very simple example but it shows that a continuous video (the squirrel going up a tree until he eats some acorns) can be sliced at desired intervals to allow for coded event execution.

Well, hope I understood your question and hope this can help some.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports