missing gif.dll, etc.

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

missing gif.dll, etc.

Postby Mikael » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:06 am

A user has sever problems starting one of my games. After getting a message about the missing gif89.dll, we've gone through the old routine of (successfully) registering that file. However, now he's getting this message:

"The Module "c:/windows/system32/gif.dll failed to load. Maker sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent dll files."

I didn't even know that the file gif.dll was required to run an AM game. The player is using Vista. I'm running Win 7 on all my computers, and I don't seem to have the file gif.dll on my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mikael

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:23 am

Hi Mikael,

I don't have gif.dll either.
I rather assume that the gif89.dll wasn't properly registered, or that you have downloaded a different version than required for AM.

gif89.dll can be downloaded from here:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/more_downloads.htm

From the Common issues and solutions at http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/troubleshooting.htm
Code: Select all
[b]12. I got the following message: "Failed to load control 'Gif89a' from Gif89.dll." Where can I get the mentioned file?[/b]

You can download it from this page. Then, you must copy it into the c:/Windows/System32 folder (replace the file that was there).

If copying the file is not enough, unregister the file by executing the following command (click Start -> Run):
regsvr32 -u C:\WINDOWS\system32\gif89.dll

Then copy the downloaded file, and then register it again by executing the following command:
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\gif89.dll

Since you said that you have registered it, maybe try to de-register it, download it from the link I have provided you and replace the other one, and if necessary register it.
Last edited by Mystery on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Mikael » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 am

Thanks. I'll try that.
Mikael

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 am

Okay, let us know if this solves the issue :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports