How to completely disable a cursor?

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

How to completely disable a cursor?

Postby Bzyk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

I need to disable (not hide!) a cursor during a video cutscene (playing by Action -> Play a video). Is this possible?

Hiding a cursor is not enough, because when player accidentally clicks on area around the video, the clip stops and dissapears... :(
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter...
Bzyk
Frequent Poster

Postby GM-Support » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't think it is possible at the moment, without a plugin, to prevent the player from clicking outside the frame area (or pressing the Esc key) to skip a video.
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Bzyk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Thx for quick answer! OK, I understand. I'll deal with it some other way. :)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter...
Bzyk
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Maybe with keyguard you could send and lock the cursor at the bottom right corner of the screen, therefore disabling it, while the video is playing.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 am

Sorry for bumping post;

Hiding a cursor is not enough, because when player accidentally clicks on area around the video, the clip stops and dissapears..

What you can do also is use the Noclick cursor..[Circle with a line thru the cursor]

You can use it in the project's properties....frames advanced...or hotspots advanced..

When I see that in a game..where there's a video..I don't click..

If they want to skip it..There is usually a skip button at the top..

Thought I'd mention that..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 am

both are good alternatives. I've used KeyGuard to limit the cursor movement and for some reason never thought to try this on my video cutscenes! I'll probably use Mercedes idea for my "rotten luck" game because the player is going to die enough that they may not want to see the same cut scene over and over again! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 am

I also wanted to mention..Cause I realized after that you said..if the user accidentally clicks the outer area..

That's happened to me before..As a user-gameplayer..If it shuts down on me..or something unusual happens..shrinks to the taskbar..Screen gets funky..

I'll re-start it....But when i restart game...I know enough to keep mouse away from area of screen..I place it..and dont' touch it..
Especially if there is a noclick cursor..I move my mouse completely away..

For some it may take a couple of times to realize..
heyyy..every-time i click it..it does something weird..But they learn.

I mean if there is something that says Don't click--And they click it anyways...You can't fight with that..there's no help for them..

I'll probably use Mercedes idea for my "rotten luck" game because the player is going to die enough that they may not want to see the same cut scene over and over again! :-)

I don't mind videos..Usually they're nice to watch..and kind of get me in the mood to play the game..:)
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports