Icon for project on desktop

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby PanM » Sun May 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi, Pan M here. I recently joined and am now using the full version (4.5.2, Build1) and I have tried many things to get an icon (custom 32x32) installed in resources/icons and cursors, and after generating .exe the icon always goes to START/PROGRAMS, and not on the desktop. I prefer my educational project to have an icon on the desktop.

reneuend has been helping me to try to get the icon on the desktop but now we both seek help with this problem.

I have changed the project .ISS file near the end to read (from group) {desktop} and also to read {workingdir} and neither create a desktop icon, only in Start/Programs

Also got errors with this process stating that need two {{ }} around phrase for it to work, so when I put in the two brackets, then it would create the .exe.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pan M
PanM

Postby mercedes » Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 am

Hey there..:)

You have to physically install the game...to see the Desktop icon on the desktop..
...Not just generate the EXE...Install it like you would if you were going to play it..

Once you have done that...you should then see it..

Here is a related thread..; Let me know if this helps..Read further down the thread..

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3792&highlight=icon+desktop
mercedes
VIP

Dektop Icon for my project

Postby PanM » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi, Mercedes.

Read all the info in the post. Did the things mentioned in the post (or so I think so), and still does not show the icon on the desktop AFTER program installation. Changed .iss file to userdesktop and also selected my program Icon before compile in a region called Start Menu Program Icon:

After doing this, it shows my .ico file to the right of a button called (Reset Defaults). So, this is correct, no?

If correct, still won't load an icon after installing the program.

Any ideas?

Pan M...... Thanks for any help.
PanM

Postby mercedes » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm

..hm...you installed the game..as though you yourself were going to play it....The same as a user might..?...Because its the userdesktop...not yours..That is strange..

Really all that is required is to change the wording from..group to userdesktop....the rest happens on its own..Unless I'm missing something new you're trying..

Taking care that your project name doesn't have quotes..hyphens..any unusual characters.....

I think Renuend suggested that you upload the project files somewhere and someone else test it out...with the same icon...?..You could try that..Upload it to MediaFire..or FileFront..
mercedes
VIP

Lost project file

Postby PanM » Mon May 02, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi, M and R.

Here is mediafire link to my project called EDU-FUN (but I took out hypen in project) http://www.mediafire.com/?317xfxh9uw065jc

The file is an .exe file which has errors that I wanted to correct and send back up. Is there any way that I can use this file to recover my lost project project title?

M, I tried today again to change the (group) to (userdesktop) with a 2 frame test type project, with my old project icon, and after installing on machine, checked where the icon was, and it was still in Start/Programs and not on the desktop.......very frustrated now. :(

Pan M
PanM

Photo of icon location

Postby PanM » Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm

[b]Hi, R and M.

Here is a photo of installing the icon in the AM location listed as Start Menu Program Icon (notice it says Start Menu).

It is attached.

Pan M[/b]
Attachments
startmenuicon.PNG
AM generation of photo icon
startmenuicon.PNG (288.36 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
PanM

Postby mercedes » Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 am

..Ok..once you install the EXE..

Do u double click it--[EXE]...on the desktop...then proceed to install the actual project/game-Is that the way you have been doing it....?

The file is an .exe file which has errors that I wanted to correct and send back up. Is there any way that I can use this file to recover my lost project project title?

I can't do anything with an exe...nor can you..unfortunately..

At least..I don't think so..
Last edited by mercedes on Tue May 03, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby PanM » Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 am

Hi, R and M. :)

Happy I am. Finally fixed the icon on the desktop problem. Very late now, I will explain something I saw tomorrow and maybe it will help others who are having this problem. Thanks for your help. :)

Pan M 11:18 p.m. Panama
PanM

Icon for project

Postby PanM » Tue May 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi, M and R.

Here's what I saw last night concerning selecting and getting an icon to show up on the desktop. See pictures to help explain:

I imported into resources (Icons and Cursors) one icon when trying a new test so to speak with the same title of the project (without capital letters and without a hypen), and changed the ISS file to reflect the new icon and state userdesktop, then saved the ITT, went back and before continuing to make the .exe file, I checked the distribution options and there were two icons in that region, so evidently it is not necessary to put an icon in the Resources (Icons and Cursors). I selected one and it did not show after installing on the desktop, and then I went back and checked the other icon and changed the .ISS file to reflect new name of icon and after install, it showed the icon on the desktop........Strange things in the heat of Panama. :)

Attachments
scrnshoticonAM.PNG
screen shot icon
scrnshoticonAM.PNG (286.8 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
iconstartmenuphoto.PNG
icon start menu photo
iconstartmenuphoto.PNG (90.61 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
AMstartprojectoptions.PNG
start project options
AMstartprojectoptions.PNG (287.86 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
workingdirectoryiconerror.PNG
working dir. Icon error
workingdirectoryiconerror.PNG (240.03 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
PanM

More photos

Postby PanM » Tue May 03, 2011 7:36 pm

[b]Hi, M and R.

Forgot a few more photo's

See below[/b]
Attachments
resourcesmanagementphoto.PNG
resourcesmanagement photo
resourcesmanagementphoto.PNG (183.57 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
scrnshoticonAM.PNG
scrnshoticonAM.PNG (286.8 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
edufunicophoto.PNG
Resources Icon photo
edufunicophoto.PNG (178.91 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
PanM

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Are you using a regular version of AM?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Regular Version?

Postby PanM » Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 am

[b]Using version 4.5.2 build 1.

Pan M
PanM

Universal Extractor

Postby PanM » Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 am

Mercedes.

Found a great file extractor and it is FREE at
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

They call it Universal Extractor, and it extracted files from my .exe file.

Check it out. :)

Pan M
PanM

Final info on Icon on Desktop

Postby PanM » Thu May 12, 2011 3:20 am

Mercedes and reneuend solved the Icon on the desktop problem.
Read info above this post to find out how to put an icon on the desktop of a project you create in AM....:)

Thanks for all the help on this problem M and R.

They should make a sticky out of this problem for future users of AM that want to know how to put an icon on the desktop.

Pan M
PanM

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports