Please Help!

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Please Help!

Postby fxrchick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:47 am

I am receiving an error message that my hotspots won't load (it gives me three options). I'm also receiving an error message that the frame containing the hotspots is missing an array. The problem occurred when creating a custom message box..please help! Let me know what other info you need.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
fxrchick

Postby reneuend » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 am

It sounds like your hotspots are either missing or the indexes changed and you are trying to access a hotspot number that doesn't exist.

Look at your hotspots on the frame and take note of the indexes. Then check it against your code. You might be trying to access a hotspot index that no longer exists. I'm guessing it would be in your frame properties.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby fxrchick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:33 am

Thank you for such a quick response... I had developed the frame - the hotspots were in place when the error message appeared. I was unable to check the indexes as the error message would only allow me to remove the hotspots, skip loading them or cancel the message. I did double check my code and it appears to be in order. If its OK with you, I'll rebuild the frame and if it happens again shoot you screen shots. I'd send them now but I've already dumped the hotspots :oops:
fxrchick

Postby mercedes » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm

That sometimes happens in AM...

By chance, were you editing the same frame..after a previous edit..from whenever..?

Be careful how you edit a frame/hotspot..

Try and right-click it...and click Edit..Especially if you are one to double-click fast.

Also..Don't do it twice..If it doesn't respond..Exit out of AM..try again.

There are other reasons those errors happen..this is just one way to avoid missing hotspots errors..

Sometimes if you double click..and it doesn't respond..and if u double click it again..then EDIT---
By the time you open AM or that frame again..Hotspots will be gone..in that frame..and any other frame you edit thereafter..

That error can also happen with double-clicking hotspot properties..twice in a row..

As for the Array error...If its around the same time..
Usually where one error happens..If another error follows shortly after..there most likely related...

Hope that helps..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby fxrchick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks Mercedes..it's helps to know I'm not crazy and others have experienced some of the same. :lol: I'll heed your advice!
fxrchick

Postby fxrchick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:47 am

Here are the screen shots of the errors I keep incurring. I've reinstalled the software and reregistered..no help. I've rechecked my script..everything appears to be in order and functioning. I even started my build over (thinking there might be a corruption somewhere in the old build) I've streamlined the frames, reduced the number of HS..no help. I understand what Mercedes is saying but when I get working I forget to slow down. I really enjoy AM - its a kick in the pants..do you think there is a fix for this?
Attachments
Screen Shots.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
fxrchick

Postby mercedes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 am

Is this the same error...for the same hotspots.?..so are u choosing something other than ; Remove.....

If so....you're pretty much left with no choice but to remove them..:( That error won't go away till then..

Here's what you can try..before removing them; Copy your project folder..and the scripts to notepad..or wherever convenient..

You can try using Windows Explorer to copy the folder.. or the Project Tool KIT

You can find the toolkit here;

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6102&highlight=project+tool+kit

Once you have copied ect..and removed hotspots...Exit out of AM..

Then, open up the original project again, and click on all thumbnails...If the error is still there---You should see it right away..simply by clicking thumbnails.

Goodluck!~ ..let us know..:)
Last edited by mercedes on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 am

Ouch! I didn't realize this happened from the frame management window! :?
It looks like you have a lot of work put into this.

Here is what I would probably do.

1. Create a new project
2. Copy the procedure's code from the old project to the new project
3. Close AM
4. Use Lyberodoggy's project management tool and move "1" frame over to the new project. http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6102
5. close Lyberodoggy's tool
6. open AM and go to the new project and test it.
7. repeat steps 3 - 6 until done. If you run into the error, you should know which frame is causing it.

The only thing that Lyberodoggy's tool will NOT port over is the data in the procedures area, so you'll have to move that manually.
Please note: you should NEVER use a specific hotspot number in a procedure because this could be a potentially difficult bug to find should the hotspot that is being referenced be removed or changed.

I don't know if this will help, but its how I would try to solve an issue like this because its easier to find an issue if you break it down into manageable pieces.

More people should use this tool. It's great for backing up your project and for moving frames from one project to another. It would be nice if he could add version control to it. If he did, then we wouldn't be talking about this issue because you could just restore your game to the last good revision. If Lyberodoggy were still around, I'd beg him for this feature.

Best of luck!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:40 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mercedes!!!! Great minds think alike!!!!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby fxrchick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Thank you both for the time you are taking to address this issue - I am armed (with a cup of coffee) and dangerous (I should say determined lol) Unfortunately I didn't monitor the HS numbers as the errors occurred, but I did use numbers in my procedure script when customizing message boxes. That will be my first fix, then I will move on to your other suggestions. I will keep you posted...Thanks again!!!!
:lol:
fxrchick

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports