Software will NOT run on vista, any version. please help.

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Software will NOT run on vista, any version. please help.

Postby pangaea » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 am

Hello, I am having great trouble trying to run adventure maker.
I have downloaded version 4.6.1 and 4.5.2.. when I install and try to run them I get the error that I have attached. It says it cannot load invalid procedure call or something..

I am not very good with technical problems, I have no idea what a procedure call is.

I am using windows vista x64

Dose this software still work? I have noticed the last update was back in 2010.. I assume it dose not work for modern computers and operating systems?

anyway, I cant get this to work.. I have tried compatibility mode, I have tried running in safe mode, I have tried running as administrator, re-booting pc, reinstalling adventure maker...etc etc etc .. nothing will work.

can you help, or is there a modern version of the software that will work on my pc? Or if you are not involved with this software any-more can you suggest something else that dose not require any programming skills?

Thanks & regards
pan[/img]
pangaea

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello pan, welcome to the forums.

Adventure Maker, although not updated in a while, works fine on win7 32-bit on my computer.

There are two things I can think of, which could cause this problem you are having.

The first one is that you are using 64-bit Vista with this old, 32-bit engine. I don't think they are compatible.

The other thing is that maybe something is blocking some required elements from being installed (like a firewall, or that hideous UAC of windows vista).

Hope this helps a bit.

Chris
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby pangaea » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi there Lyberodoggy

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions. Yes i thought it might have something to do with my vista x64.. i have often had trouble installing things for x64 that otherwise work fine on any win version as long as it was 32.

I did try the win 7 x64 version of adventure maker hoping it might work with my vista x64, but no luck unfortunately.

I dont think its due to anything blocking it, I have uac and any other microsoft silliness turned off, also I did attempt to install and run again but disabling my virus software and firewall (still no luck tho).. so I really do suspect and as you first mentioned, its the x64 issue back to haunt me again ;)

Its a shame, this looks like the perfect solution for what I wanted to do. I did also find AGS (adventure game studio) and had a quick look at , also watched a bunch of video tuts.. it looks ok i guess (not as great as adventure maker in terms of end product quality).. but ags looks like at some point scripting knowledge is required .. I know I could probably "attempt" to make something with ags but i just know eventually Ill hit that impenetrable brick wall. My programming skills are pretty much non existent and much as ide love to learn the bread and butter I really dont think i have the head for that sort of thing.... I really had my heart set on adventurer maker. It seems to have lots more options in terms of game style... ags seems only to cater for crude 2d pixel art styles, but i guess its good at what it dose, making games look and feel like those classics of old.

anyway.. Im not really sure what to next, do you happen to know if there may be any future possibilities of patches? or has development come to a total stop?

Thanks so much for the reply again, and I sure hope i can join the adventure maker ranks in the future, it seems im missing out on all the fun :)

regards
pan

ps. actually my mistake i "thought" on the download page the windows 7 version was catering for 64bit , but its 32..... i guess thats what i get for flash reading things.
pangaea

Postby reneuend » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:38 am

I use Win7 X64 and it works just fine. If you upgraded to Win7 x64 it will work for you also. Besides, Win7 is a much better OS than Vista.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pangaea » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi folks,
Well for some odd reason, I got this to work on vista x64, no idea what i did, or when i did it, but it loaded after my 6th or so install attempt with the win7 version.

Ive not had time to even use it yet, just looked around a bit, so im still holding my breath that it`lll load consistently each time.

I guess I got some swatting up to do on adventurer maker now ... and here was me thinking it was a relaxing evening with a movie. ;)

anyway, thanks for the earlier suggestions, no doubt Ill have other questions to ask in other parts of the forum as soon as I start to use the software, so till then thanks :)

regards
pan
pangaea

Postby reneuend » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 am

whew! I'm glad its working because I really couldn't think of what else you could try.

come back often! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Glad you got it to work.

'Cause yes, you were missing all the fun. :lol:

Chris.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports