Large Resoltion Panorama Videos Run At 1 FPS (very slow!)

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Large Resoltion Panorama Videos Run At 1 FPS (very slow!)

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 pm

I would love to use a video in my panorama but the resoltion is so big that the game when compiled or running from the editor, it is very slow (roughly one frame per second) I can't make the video any smaller unless it is so small that the quality of the resolution would look absolutely terrible.

@GMSupport/ShadowHunter - if either of you could make an alternative cylindrical panorama plugin that can handle higher resolutions animations like AVI, GIF, SWF, or a sequence of BMP images, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
TKG
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: Large Resoltion Panorama Videos Run At 1 FPS (very slow!

Postby Simon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 am

Hi TKG,

I don't know of a solution for your issue, but I think the compression of the video could help.

I had downloaded one of your videos (the one which shows a rippling water effect), and I thought it was quite an heavy video for such a short length (45 Mo for 2 or 3 seconds if I remember well).

Such a short video should weight around maybe 8 or 10 Mo I'd say... because the bigger it is, the more it asks for memory and processor resources when playing it.

Panoramic views in AM already ask a lot of resources, so you have to optimize your video to the maximum, even if it means loss of quality (that is necessary).

I suggest you download a tool to compress your videos. I would recommand Media Coder, but there are many others, like Super or Virtualdub.
With this tool, try to compress in Xvid for example, and be sure to add the Xvid installer in the package of your game, because people will need to install it to watch your videos.
Xvid has a good ratio quality/file size and it's free.

If you need help on compressing in Xvid (or any other codec), feel free to ask me. I wish it helps !
Last edited by Simon on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Simon.

I have tried using the XviD codec, but I have no means to convert my video to a XviD codec video. I tried to convert it with a "mini" converter program that is came with that codec, but it didn't change the file size hardly at all. I didn't see any compression level settings in that converter, just a input and output filebox, and a convert button. I've tried numerous video converters but they either don't let me change the codec, they change the resolution of the video to something I don't want, or it's a free trial, which means my game can't be commercial unless I waste my money on a useless converter.

Long story short, do you know a free program that doesn't change my video's resolution but can change the codec?
Here's my video file that runs slow in the panorama if you are interested in converting it for me:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh4cktdzian29ig/ripples.avi

I feel like I've wasted 6 hours yesterday trying to figure this one out.
Thanks Simon!

Edit:
I found a solution that doesn't require loss of quality. I exported my AVI as bmp files, modified the gif sequence player so that it can play a sequence of BMPs. Then I added this line of code to the paroramic frame's properties:
Code: Select all
CreateTimedEvent 0.1, "AMPanoUpdatePicture", True

When I did this, the animation and panoramic projection co-existed on the same frame and worked!
One problem, which I am still trying to fix -- the mouse look doesn't change the projection view angles. I don't really know if it is possible to make the mouse look work, so @GM-Support, or whoever else that might know, is that possible? I'd like to know before I continue editing the panorama plugin's VBScript, because I'm doing this out of trial and error, basically.

Thanks!
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Simon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey TKG,
I totally agree to convert myself your video, but I can't download it. I get a file of 44 KB, which seems quite small for a video. A problem during upload ?

About the conversion to Xvid, you can try to do it yourself if you want. I recommand Media Coder which is great and totally free (get it here for example, because I can't find the link on the official website)

To convert in Xvid with Media Coder :

- be sure you installed xvid codecs
- run media coder
- add you video to the list
- everything is done with the tabs. Use these settings for example :
- Video tab
- video bitrate, choose 4000 Kbps
- rate mode : average bitrate
- format : Xvid
- Xvid tab (on the right)
- Profile : unrestricted
- Motion estimation : medium
- check "High quality mode"
- Audio tab (if you have sound)
- format : mp3
- encoder : lame mp3
- Lame Mp3 tab (on the right)
- Preset : custom
- rate mode : CBR
- Channel : Auto
- Bitrate : 192 Kbps
- Container tab
- Container : Avi
- Picture (optional)
- Resize : use this if you need to resize. You'd better use one of the available sizes if you don't want to get an error message.

- Then choose the Output folder in the up right corner
- Click Start. It will convert all the videos in the list with the settings you chose.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks, but it's looking like I won't need to do that, see my post edit for more details. :)
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Simon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm

That's great if you found a solution.
Be careful with uncompressed AVI and BMP files : they're heavy (on the hdd) and they need a lot of resources on the computer.
But they can be a good solution too. That depends on the projects.
Good luck !
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 am

Thanks candle and simon!
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports