A request for help with the Flash Plugin

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

A request for help with the Flash Plugin

Postby jack8135 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:03 am

Greetings!

I have recently discovered the very awesome Flash plugin for AM and I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to transfer variables between the swf interactive and my AM project.

To be more specific, I am attempting to create an RPG and the variables will be things like hit points, experience points and gold. I want to use Flash for the battle screens so I can easily implement things like hp bars and fade out effects for defeated monsters. When the battle ends I want to return to the AM project but maintain how much remaining hp the characters have and so on.

I have already read everything pertaining to Flash in the AM help file, in particular, item #6 of the "About the Flash plugin" segment.
I've also read Shadowhunter's "Complete Flash and Adventure Maker Tutorial". Both of these were helpful but did not quite provide the answers I'm looking for.

I should also mention that I've never had any formal training or education in programming and everything I've learned I've learned by tinkering. I'm not asking someone to do the work for me but if anybody can "explain like I'm 5" how to share variables back and forth like this, it will elate me to no end :D ...and of course I will give a credit and kind words to anyone who provides help in the finished game.

I'm using AM 4.7.1 and Flash CS5 (Actionscript 2)

Thanks for your help!
-Jack
jack8135

Re: A request for help with the Flash Plugin

Postby reneuend » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi Jack. I haven't used the Flash plugin, but I understand programming. Without being specific to this plugin, typically, you would have a subroutine from the plugin that you would pass variables through. Something like this:

GetFlashData(MyVariable1)

where GetFlashData is the name of the subroutine
MyVariable1 is the name of the variable being passed. Depending on it works with SWF, it might be a name of your AM variable and it automatically pulls data from the SWF variable and places it in the AM variable, "MyVariable1".

Note: there would be other variables passed through this routine like this: GetFlashData(MyVariable1, MyVariable2)

Without having to read up on the Flash plugin, maybe you can tell me if there are any subroutines associated with this plugin.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Re: A request for help with the Flash Plugin

Postby time-killer-games » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 pm

You can also read and write INI contents back and forth from the swf and the AM game.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports