Not able to import icons

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Not able to import icons

Postby kris1970 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi to all,

I'm new here but not new to creating adventures. Actually I was more tending to text adventures (Inform), but now I am looking for a plattform to create a point and click adventure. So far so good, I found AM and downloaded the Free Edition to try it.

I'm not able to import Icons yet. I tried everything (Greenfish, IcoFX) with all possible settings. (32x32, only one size, color 16 bit). Nothing worked. Even if I load an icon from AM, fill the hand with red colour and save (not "save as"!) it again, I can't import it.

Please help me because i dont't want to work with Windows NT icons ;-)

Thanks

kris

Germany
kris1970

Re: Not able to import icons

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:07 am

Hi Kris and welcome to Adventure Maker forums!

I use Imagicon from Devious Codeworks at http://www.deviouscodeworks.co.uk
It is very easy to use and works great with Adventure Maker and the best part is that it is free.

I'm not sure why the other options you are using haven't been working, but give this a try. I hope it works for you.

Hope to see you out here often!!!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:48 am

Welcome Kris!

I don't know if you had seen this in the help document of AM:

What types of icons and cursors are supported?

- Icons in general: Adventure Maker supports any color depth (even 16 millions), and any standard size. There are many Icon Editors available on the Internet that allow you to create icons that are bigger than 32x32 (for example, the 48x48 icons created with the shareware Microangelo work perfectly with the Adventure Maker inventory).

- Files used for the mouse cursor: their size must be 32x32 (if the size is bigger, it will be automatically resized to fit 32x32), and their color depth depends on whether you use files that have the CUR extension (in that case you are limited to black and white) or the ICO extension (in that case there are no color limitations).

- Icons used for the inventory items: you can use any color depth and any standard size, but if the size is bigger than 32x32 (like 48x48), the icon may look slightly differently during the drag-and-drop operation. If you use icons that are bigger than 32x32, it is recommended that you change the settings under the "Inventory" tab of the "Project Properties" to prevent the items from overlapping.

Best regards, Vairon
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby kris1970 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 am

Hi,

thanks for the quick response!

@ Vairon: Yes thanks, I read this before and tried those settings - no success.

@ reneuend: Thanks, this works but it is a bit tricky. I download icons (.ico). Then I export them with IccoFX to .bmp to convert it again as .ico. The fine quality gets lost, especialy at the edges where tranparency starts. But I studied the settings from those created icons and I found out, that AM doesn't work with True Colour 32 bit + Alpha (but True Colour 32 bit). So all I have to do is set the Datatype to True Colour 32 bit.

Thanks

Kris
kris1970

Postby Vairon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:56 am

You are right with the quality, it's very poor. Maybe you can use the KeyGuard plugin, this tool allow you to use any image format, even alpha designs and animated cursors (through code).

More info: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6383

Best regards.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 pm

:!: Good call, Vairon!!!! Yes! Use KeyGuard's image cursor.
There are a lot of options with this. You can animate them for one. Also, because they can be any size, you can actually create a fairly nice first-person view by using the image cursor as the players hands and arms. I did a test in a game previously called, "Get out of the Dark". I built it so the player used the mouse wheel to change inventory items and the image cursor would show the player holding the item. Okay, I'm digressing a bit, but just wanted you to know there is a lot of potential with image cursors. Thanks Vairon for bringing up KeyGuard! :wink:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby kris1970 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Thank you for your advices,

I don't want to get lost in details in my first project, so this is why I'm trying the Free Version wtith no plugins. An "easy" point and click first-person view thing with a little story and a few frames. After I've finished and got used to the basics and still have fun with that all I will think about the Full Version.

A little offtopic: Is there an way (exept typing it in the frame-jpg) to work with headlines (like in Interactive Fiction, you allways have a headline for the place like "At The Beach", "Hallway" or "North Junction".

Thanks

Kris
kris1970

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

do you want fade-out effect?
create 2 frames identical
The first frame will have the title on it by right-clicking on the frame and adding a text object
Then from the frame properties, enable timer and go to the second frame after a period of time. Add a transition to fade out.
does that make sense?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby kris1970 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks,

that's what I wanted. I'll keep the Headline so I don't need the fade effekt, but it's good to know.

Kris
kris1970

Postby time-killer-games » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 am

One thing that I'd like to add is that any icon larger than 32x32 doesn't work. Icons with partial transparency (alpha pixels) also don't work.

Edit: whoops, I'm a litlle late in saying this....
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports