Help with lag

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Help with lag

Postby Stitches » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi. I've just compiled a new game into an exe and tried playing it. However, I am experiencing a serious amount of lag to the point where it's just crashing out and not responding. It's holding no 3d graphics or anything fancy, merely a few gifs and bmps and a moving 3rd person character which works on a 3 frames basis. Very basic (purposely since it's simply a coding test and a lil fan game). The game seems to work to a point, but simply overloads. I've checked the coding, variables and so forth and cannot find an error at present... though I could have missed something. Still quite new to this. Granted my lil compy is but a 2.8G Ram basic, but I would have figured this would support something with graphics relating to an Amiga (again, purposely). I wonder if there's just something I have to do like slap a code in to make it process faster or access subs quicker.. I dunno... wasn't prepared for this eventuality :( . I wanna be able to sort this kind of thing out if I'm gonna be making a more advanced game. Anyone aware of how?
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaynardStaly/videos and http://libertycap.webs.com
“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know.”
Stitches

Re: Help with lag

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey Stitch!

If you experienced a crash after the lag, then it sounds like your game code went into an endless loop until it used up all the memory and ultimately crashed. Did you do any coding? (especially with looping). If not, then it would have to be the plugin. Since it seems that this only happens after compiling, it would probably be hard to find. If you didn't do any vb scripting or use any plugins, then this should be reported in the appropriate forum and probably an email to GM. (as long as Adventure Maker is still going to be supported...no one is sure about this)

I'm quite sure you haven't reached AM's limit, as I've seen some very large projects that did just fine.

if this only happens after compiling, then I would suggest making a new project and only add a very small portion at a time from the old project, compiling after each "small" portion added. This way you can see where it failed at.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports