Videos not playing (Win 10)

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Videos not playing (Win 10)

Postby oase » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 pm

My newest game made with Adventure Maker runs under Windows 10 - except the video play function and GIF-player. Can I do anything to get videos and gifs started? Thanx for any help!!
art is political. art is social. art works united! beeing creative is pure spirituality. so - let´s do it! and never forget: life ... is a wonder : )
oase

Re: Videos not playing (Win 10)

Postby reneuend » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:59 am

GIF Sequence Player
Be sure you are using the 2012 version
Be sure the plugin is selected to be used under Project Properties
Be sure to setup the plugin on the Frame Properties

Set_Plugin_Active_Project_Properties.jpg
Set_Plugin_Active_Project_Properties.jpg (67.45 KiB) Viewed 6869 times

Setup_Plugin_Frame_Properties.jpg
Setup_Plugin_Frame_Properties.jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 6869 times

----
Playing video? what type? Full Frame? Hotspot?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks, but I did handle it in this way as you and generally it`s working (I use Vista for example), but not under Windows 10 :?

And the video is a .mpg file. Stretched > 650 x 500
Should I better load up the clip as .swf file? But it is also running at my computer and on others not - why?
art is political. art is social. art works united! beeing creative is pure spirituality. so - let´s do it! and never forget: life ... is a wonder : )
oase

Postby oase » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:22 am

Okay, I tried to upload a .swf video file, but it`s not compatible. The .mpg format isn't going to be the problem anyway, is it? What else could i try to do?
oase

Postby reneuend » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:00 am

if you want to use video version that is not built into AM, then you will need to install a codec software.
Here is a link for k-lite that I have stored on my website: http://www.hickchickgames.net/downloads/Codec.zip

This will allow you to use mpg, mp4 (my favorite), and others.

To run them, use the procedures that will run them programmatically. Let me know if you need some help with this.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Okay, I've downloaded the K-lite software. (Is "vlc-3.0.4-win32" an alternative or what can I do with that?)
Now I should install it, but how in detail? - What do I have to mark ideally? First I think I should choose the "Normal" Inst. Mode and then "Media Player Classic (MPC-HC)" + "create file associations" and ... > See screenshots for further settings, THX!
Attachments
CODEC INST.jpg
CODEC INST.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
CODEC INST 2.jpg
CODEC INST 2.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
CODEC INST 3.jpg
CODEC INST 3.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
oase

Postby reneuend » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm at work at the moment. I will build detailed instructions when I get home. It should have done this a long time ago.
I appreciate your patience!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:51 am

Okay, I have now installed it myself using YouTube tutorials. But how does it have to be integrated in Adventure Maker? In a folder or while compiling to game.exe? I can`t expect how to do that, sorry! :wink:
oase

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 am

When using it. All you have to do is install it. Then it allows you to run video formats like mp4 (the one that I use), during the editing of an AdventureMaker game or after compiling.
I'm in the process of building instructions. I'll have it finished on Sunday evening (Eastern Standard Time) or -5 GMT (I think that's correct).
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Is VB Script absolutely necessary to play videos? Then the following menu would be superfluous in any case?? Please excuse my complete ignorance, guys!
Attachments
VIDEOPLAY.jpg
VIDEOPLAY.jpg (71.61 KiB) Viewed 6746 times
oase

Postby reneuend » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:15 am

AdventureMaker only supports.AVI files on its interface. AVI filetypes produce huge file sizes. The newer formats like .mp4 are much small, but it requires using vbscript to run it.
The other method is to use animated gifs, which is great for smaller videos (like a moving flame on a candle).
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Thank you for the information. So the videos in my previous games never worked without me knowing, despite the fact that some others tested the games for me!? :roll:
oase

Postby oase » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 pm

I did everything as you explained (in the .pdf you've sent me), but skipped the part with the iss file. I`ve wanted to create a desktop icon, but despite your instructions, I didn't understand how to handle that.
As I said, I did everything according to your instructions, but when I now start the game there is a hint that "MediaPlayerObject" cannot be recognized!
I can imagine that this could be a placeholder for "Media Player Classic" or possibly for the Player (vlc-3.0.4-win32 ) that you recommend? But then I also would have had to integrate this player when compiling, right :?:
oase

Postby reneuend » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 am

No. You don't need to integrate the player. AdventureMaker uses Media Player Classic.
Did you use the vbscript to play the video? (see below)

From the frame properties of where you want to play the video

Advanced Tab:
Code: Select all
PlayVideoWin7 GetPath(2) & "HickchickGames_Intro.mp4", 1,9
'The following plays the video for 20 seconds. Stops the video. Quits the game.
Action.CreateTimedEvent 20, "StopVideoWin7(9):Action.Quit", False

Procedures...
Code: Select all
Sub PlayVideoWin7(VideoFile, NumRepeat, ChannelNumber)
   If ChannelNumber < 9 Then
      'With VBScript it is currently not possible to interact with the 8 first video channels.
      MsgBox "The specified video channel is invalid.", vbCritical, "Error"
      Exit Sub
   End If
   If Action.IsComponentInstalled("NSPlay.NSPlayCtl.1") = False Then
      MsgBox "Unable to find the media player component.", vbCritical, "Error"
   Else
      If Action.DoesComponentExist("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)) = false Then
         AddComponent "NSPlay.NSPlayCtl.1", "MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)
      End If
      Component("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)).Object.FileName = VideoFile
      Component("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)).Object.PlayCount = NumRepeat
      Component("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)).Object.Play
   End If
End Sub

Sub StopVideoWin7(ChannelNumber)
   If ChannelNumber < 9 Then
      'With VBScript it is currently not possible to interact with the 8 first video channels.
      MsgBox "The specified audio channel is invalid.", vbCritical, "Error"
      Exit Sub
   End If
   If Action.DoesComponentExist("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)) = true Then
      Component("MediaPlayer" + CStr(ChannelNumber)).Object.Stop
   End If
End Sub
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:56 pm

So the following routines in the picture below (attachement) are the wrong ones in my case!? I found them here: http://amforums.cloudapp.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=4279&

What exactly do I have to enter if I want to play a framed video?

> PlayVideoWin7 & "VIDEONAME.mpg", 0, 0, 640, 480, False :?:
Attachments
VIDEOPLAY II.jpg
VIDEOPLAY II.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Last edited by oase on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oase

Postby oase » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Is it correct that I only have to use your VBscript routines and don`t need to mark "play video" in the "Frame Properties Tab"? (edit: When does it make sense to mark the Frame Properties?)
Otherwise I did it like you said and got the following bug message:
Attachments
VIDEOPLAY III.jpg
VIDEOPLAY III.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 6709 times
oase

Postby reneuend » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:01 am

You only use the built-in "Play Video" option that AdventureMaker provides if you are using .AVI type video format. Otherwise, you don't mark it at all and you use the script version.
You're link takes you to very old video routines that were meant for Windows XP. If you are using Windows 7 or later, you would use the ones I sent.

Here is a project you can look at from AdventureMaker. Just Unzip it and put the folder in your Projects folder. If you still get an error, then I'll need to know more about the system you are running.

http://www.hickchickgames.net/downloads/the_intro.zip

Once we get this working for you, I'll share some ways I use video in my games.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for the intro file. It runs perfectly with me, without an error message. My own videos, on the other hand, don't run with VB Script, strange. Only with the frame properties. Maybe are the Windows 10 routines still missing, that you use for the "intro"? But at least I now understand why the videos run on my computer and not elsewhere. Namely I still use Windows Vista myself.

If it shouldn't work soon, I'll just use .AVI videos before I need even more support as you did already gave to me. I really don't want to steal all your free time. Sorry :oops:
oase

Postby oase » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Now I have copied and pasted the complete procedures of your intro file to get my videos run (in my actual project), but my system still has a problem with "MediaPlayerObject". So that you can find out more about my system data and the video file type I used, I made screenshots here (but as I said, actually I don't want to take up any more of your valuable time :roll: ):
Attachments
VIDEOPLAY IV.jpg
VIDEOPLAY IV.jpg (121.71 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
oase

Postby oase » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:32 am

@reneuend I just sent you a link to the updated beta. Now inclusive .AVI videos for testing. Hardly there should be any English texts missing yet and the sound volume a little bit better coordinated. I look forward to your judgment, thx!! :mrgreen:
oase

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 pm

if you can run my project, then it must be the video format you are trying to use isn't supported. I would suggest testing using "MP4". It's a great format anyway.
If you find this works and you want to proceed with this, I can show you some other 'tricks' for using videos in your games like hotspots or timed events.

I look forward to playing/testing your game. "AVI" works fine, you just have to keep the videos short or get clever about looping or reusing them to reduce the file size of your game.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby oase » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:20 pm

I`ve made a video test sequence and did compile it, now nothing works any more - following error message (german version see attachment):

Runtime error
automation error
Library not registered

I can`t continue working with AM. I am admittedly somewhat desperate! :cry:
Attachments
Horrible Bug.jpg
Horrible Bug.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
oase

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports