Windows 7

Everything AM users with W7 computers need to know

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby CBSection31 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 am

We have. He hasn't responded yet. Sometimes it takes him a while to respond.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Imari » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:38 pm

So, it's been a week since the last post in this thread. Did anyone get a response from GM? For years now it's been GM's habit to disappear for a time, but I don't recall him ever being gone for so long or being unresponsive to peoples' emails. I'm a little worried not only for AM, but for Giovanni as well now.
Imari
VIP

Postby Candle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:01 pm

I have heard nothing.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Me either....I wonder what this means...I never imagined he would never answer.. I thought maybe late..or at some point...but now i'm beginning to think he has abandoned AM...and its forums..:(

I wonder...when someone buys AM...is that done automatically through Kagi...or does he play some part...in accepting payment..I thought maybe it was automatically....? It it's the latter..and he does play a small part..then we know he's alright..just really busy..:?
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:27 pm

It is that done automatically through Kagi.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby CBSection31 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 am

I would imagine that there would be a way to contact him through Kagi, at the very least. Since Kagi is accepting payments on his behalf, they must be able to contact him.
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Candle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I emailed the company that has the lock on this domain and told them about not hearing from him and if they have any info that could help us know if he is ok.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 pm

This is the information you can get from the domain, but I don't think that helps us:
http://www.who.is/whois/adventuremaker.com/
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 pm

No, since GM has nothing to do with the host of this website I don't think whois can help
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

The way this is going

Postby sempaix » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am

The way this is going is pushing me to find an alternative software for my upgraded games, I looking through Blade Game engine now. http://www.bladeengine.com/
Last edited by sempaix on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sempaix

Postby Imari » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:53 pm

While I've always found it a little odd that "the Management" for a commercial product disappeared for weeks at a time, GM has always seemed like an up front guy. I just don't see him walking away from AM without a word to the forum members. Anyway, I guess there is nothing to do right now, but to wait and see.
Last edited by Imari on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Absolutely true Imari...
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Re: The way this is going

Postby sempaix » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 am

sempaix wrote:The way this is going is pushing me to find an alternative software for my upgraded games, I looking through Blade Game engine now. http://www.bladeengine.com/

Never mind is just anotehr abandonware :P
sempaix

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 am

Whoa! I have been away from the forums for a while and I spot this!

Maybe it's just me, but from the year or so since I started coming to the forums and got interested in AM and its community, it always seemed like GM-Support came for a while and disappeared for months. This seemed to be is style.

As Imari said, I doubt GM Support has abandoned AM and maybe he's going to surprise us with a huge return like an update to the engine... ;) Okay this is wishful thinking, but who knows.

Meanwhile, it gives us time to work on our projects.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby GM-Support » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Dear AM users and friends,

I apologize for having been absent for so long. This year has been extremely busy and lots of problems prevented me from dedicating more time to Adventure Maker.

Rest assured that I have not abandoned Adventure Maker, and that, should such a sad thing happen, you would be informed much in advance.

As far as the emails are concerned, I think I have replied to all the emails that were sent to me before October 2009 (except the forums private messages). I will do my best to reply to all the later emails as soon as possible. By the way, to contact me, please avoid sending private messages through these forums but instead send me an email (the email address is shown on the AM website).

As far as Windows 7 is concerned, I just tested Adventure Maker on it, and these are my findings:
- Sounds and videos do not play
- The 360-degree panorama plugin (both cubic and cylindrical) does not work
- All the other features seem to work fine and the program seems stable.

I am going to look into the issues. I hope a solution can be found. Please let me know if you notice any other issues with Windows 7. I have only tested on Windows 7 in English language.

As far as the future plans for Adventure Maker are concerned, the current VB6-based version is stable enough to remain alive for a long time (if the issues above can be fixed).

However, I am considering the possibility to also create an alternative cross-platform online version of Adventure Maker based on Silverlight (see http://silverlight.net/ ). It would allow the creation of cross-platform games that run online on any browser and on any operating system. Similarly to the current version of Adventure Maker, it would support user-created plugins. However, it would require storing your project information on the server (rather than on your computer) and being constantly connected to the Internet in order to use the program (like most online applications). No installation would be required, neither to use the program nor to use the games created with it. Please let me know if you find such a project interesting.

Again, sorry for not posting on the forums earlier, and for not replying to the emails received during the last two months.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support

Sempaix

Postby sempaix » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks SOOO much
sempaix

Postby ShadowHunter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Nice hearing from you GM :D
ShadowHunter

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Nice to hear from you.
Your new project sounds wonderful, but still it is AM that should have your whole attention. In particular, what currently is needed is to support new technologies such as dynamic libraries (dlls) and Windows 7, that's why we insist on a VB.NET version.
Also, the plugins feature should be enchanced so that we can affect AM's interface itself using code (to add more options etc)
Thanks in advance
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks so much for replying..!~ :D We all truly appreciate that...

However, it would require storing your project information on the server (rather than on your computer) and being constantly connected to the Internet in order to use the program (like most online applications). No installation would be required, neither to use the program nor to use the games created with it. Please let me know if you find such a project interesting.

That would be rather interesting...as another platform....I would love to see that happen..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby CBSection31 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 am

Thanks for replying, GM!!!

I think that the new engine idea sounds WONDERFUL!!! Especially if it would still support all AM features (including saved games--hosted on the server via a user-created account, not on the user's PC). Maybe you could even incorporate some basic multiplayer functions, such as chatrooms.

Simply put, I would love to see this kind of engine made...once AM works with Windows 7, of course! :wink:

Thanks again! :D
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Mikael » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:56 am

Thanks for addressing the very important Win 7 problem, GM. You're the best.
Mikael

Postby Imari » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:03 am

It's a great relief to hear from you, GM, and to know that everything is alright.

I'm sorry that you are thinking of moving AM into an internet only engine.
I doubt that I'd be interested in making a server based game, but there are probably other folks that would.

My best.
Imari
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 am

Glad to see you are still around GM-Support. :)

Just like Imari, online only games are really not my cup of tea. I would prefer if the future of AM gave the options of both online and offline.

I completely and obviously support Lyberodoggy?s ideas.

Whatever's the future of AM please keep us posted. ;)

Thanks.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Candle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:56 am

Good to hear your doing fine.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

An interesting

Postby Harvester » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm

It would be an interesting concept to have online adventure games, but I can't really imagine too many cases where it would be beneficial. Most times offline adventuring is fine; if the engine would get online, I would support the idea if it worked the way that a user can create a 'server' on her/his own computer, and then others could join it online. Just like in most modern action games for example. Then I wouldn't have to run a server all the time, plus -more importantly- I can imagine a game where let's say groups of four players adventure on a server and they are really like a team solving mysteries. Or there are two such teams in a game, one is the good, one is the villain, and they are both hunting a treasure... or such. But still I think in most cases it should stay offline.

Windows 7 support is a must, I agree with that.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby mercedes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm sorry that you are thinking of moving AM into an internet only engine.
I doubt that I'd be interested in making a server based game, but there are probably other folks that would.

I hadn't realized she said it was to be an "only" online engine..i thought he mention it as a cross platform...which i assumed meant..sort of an additional feature..That being said..I wouldn't' want to see AM as an online platform only...no..i like the idea of being able to use it offline..and as a software downloads...
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Cross-platform means that it can be run on window, mac, linux and many other OS
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:21 pm

It's great to hear from you, GM!

I like the idea of using SilverLight. I think it would draw a much larger crowd to AM.

Interestingly, I had to choose an area of advancement for work and SilverLight is what I chose! :-)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Glad to hear you GM, we are more relaxed now.

Not a bad idea your offer of online project, can be a parallel project to the classic AM, but I see more urgent a new version fully compatible with Windows 7.

I'm glad that everything goes well. :wink:

Best regards, Vairon.
Vairon
Forum Master

Really need cube panorama script to work!

Postby Kuldur » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am

Funny how I just resumed working on my adventure game after I installed windows 7.
It basically relies on the cube panorama script... is there any possible work around to get it going? and sound? Lol though I can do without sound for now!? but the script!! any visual basic packages for win7 or something?

:/

I'd really love to get it working as i'm relying on this product for my design portfolio...
Kuldur

PreviousNext

Return to Windows 7 issues