What Can I Expect Using AM Under Windows 7?

Everything AM users with W7 computers need to know

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

What Can I Expect Using AM Under Windows 7?

Postby Netjera » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Okay, so my laptop decided to become a coffee-holic, and as we all know, coffee and laptops do not mix. (Fizzle-pop-hiss!) So, Barry is gone, and now we have Sampson - the wonderful Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. Of course, now I have to figure out how to get AM to work with Windows 7, because I have no choice. I also have to be backwards compatible to Vista, since my desktop is running 64b Vista, and I'll be working on both computers, depending on the day.

That being said, I have a few questions.

1) If I use the Windows 7 beta version on this laptop, will my work be backwards compatible onto the Vista machine?

2) If not, will I be able to use the 4.6 that works with Vista, and do some work here, and have full functionality on the Vista machine, or will problems here equate to problems there, too?

3) Finally, what kind of problems can I expect? I'm reading through some of the threads, but honestly, picking through the issues is rather confusing. Can anyone list for me what actually happens when running the two versions under Windows 7? (4.6 and the beta.)

Thanks so much!
A woman on a mission - a budding artist looking for a place to take root, a builder looking for the right community - I'm looking for a home.
Netjera
Frequent Poster

Postby juhuwoorps » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:52 am

Games that are compiled with 4.6.0 with WIN7 are also running at Vista.

If you are using 4.5.2 with WIN7 the sound and video options don't work.
Older uncompiled Projekts built with 4.5.2 are working when they are opened with 4.6.0 except they are using VB-Script to play sound or videos.

Both Versions of AM are runing fine with WIN7, but it makes no sense to use 4.5.2 with WIN7 because of the sound and video issues.

Hope that helps you further.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Netjera » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:44 am

I think so. If I'm understanding correctly, 4.6 should run on both machines just fine, with no errors.

So do I download the beta for Windows 7, or is that rolled into the commercial version of 4.6 now?

Thanks again!
A woman on a mission - a budding artist looking for a place to take root, a builder looking for the right community - I'm looking for a home.
Netjera
Frequent Poster

Return to Windows 7 issues